Getting rid of holes - neatly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinny Fleet

Reaction score
Friends:
Have a 13' Smokercraft semi v. The PO went crazy with a drill on the boat seats and there are holes everywhere. I've smoothed the edges out with a file the best I can but they still seem to snag on things and are unsightly. I want to patch the holes. Problem is I can only access the top as I don't want to remove the seats to then pull out the Styrofoam to install the backing for some kind of a patch.

I have thought about fabricating some plywood to go on top of the seats, but that would add weight and deteriorate. And if I plug each hole with a rivet, then I have a bunch of protrusions sticking up.

Can I live with the problem? Sure, but it would be nice to clean this up.

Is there a neat and tidy way to patch holes (short of welding) that a person can do with access to only one side? I'm thinking bondo or Marine Tex or...?

Thanks in advance

Maybe peen the edges down a bit and apply JB weld to the dimple, smooth out the patches and then prime and paint.
Apparently they are small holes since you mentioned patching them with a rivet.

JB Weld works good for cosmetic holes above the water line. The PO of my boat had a piece of angle iron screwed to the bow deck to mount a trolling motor. I cleaned up the holes well and applied JB Weld. Then sanded smooth primed and painted. Cannot even see where the holes were and they've held up for nearly 4 years now. Did the same to some holes in my rear bench that the PO had drilled in it for whatever reason and they turned out just as good.

Before
IMAG0524.jpg

JB Weld(ed)
IMAG0575.jpg

After
IMAG0583.jpg

SmallMouth - photos of your concerns will be of great help.

here is a technique that I use - - - - it works with any epoxy or JB Weld liquid epoxy.

metal patch 1.JPG
metal patch 2.jpg
metal patch 3.JPG
metal patch 4.JPG
metal patch 5.JPG
metal patch 6.JPG
metal patch 7.JPG
metal patch 8.JPG
metal patch 9.JPG
metal patch 10.JPG
metal patch 11.JPG
Patch Complete.jpg

if you can not get to the underside of the seat to block the flow of epoxy,
cut very small pieces of masking tape just big enough to cover the hole
after it has been dented with the ball peen hammer.
then proceed with the patch process of your choice.
just filling the holes with Bondo or epoxy paste will not hold for long.
also - polyester fiberglass resin is not a good choice.

So here is a pic of some of the holes.

The diameter is about 1/4" so I suspect that they are a bit too big to just epoxy (JB Weld) shut, especially since there is no access from underneath.

So the surgery I'm thinking about doing is: 1) center punch the holes so they cave inward (downward, gravity-wise) 2) cut aluminum can circles to fit in the very bottom of hole, leaving space on top for 3) Marine Tex or JBweld which can then be 4) Sanded smooth and painted.

Thoughts? Thanks to all for comments.

Attachments

• photo of some of the holes.JPG
    photo of some of the holes.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,507
Johnny said:
SmallMouth - photos of your concerns will be of great help.

here is a technique that I use - - - - it works with any epoxy or JB Weld liquid epoxy.

View attachment 11
View attachment 10
View attachment 9
View attachment 8
View attachment 7
View attachment 6
View attachment 5
View attachment 4
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

if you can not get to the underside of the seat to block the flow of epoxy,
cut very small pieces of masking tape just big enough to cover the hole
after it has been dented with the ball peen hammer.
then proceed with the patch process of your choice.
just filling the holes with Bondo or epoxy paste will not hold for long.
also - polyester fiberglass resin is not a good choice.

AWESOME IDEA!

For places that lack back access, you might also squirt some urethane foam in each hole, then carve it out after it hardens and cap with JBweld and sand.

Latest posts