Going Back to 2 Stroke Jet!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch!! I am glad you didnt get stuck with it. I steer clear from used saltwater motors unless 1.) I plan to use them exclusively in salt or 2.) They are Yamaha's. The Yammies seem to hold up better than all the competition in the salt, but I wouldnt think you'd get much more than 10 years use out of them in the brine.

The search continues!! I have a private used dealer in Fredericksburg. I can see if he has any freshie 90's about.

Are you stuck with the jet kit or did you put that on hold? I hate when people have a different interpretation of "good condition". What year range Mercury 90 2 stroke are you looking for?

It sucks the engine didn't work out but you are headed down the right track. The boat should be a screamer with the 90/65

JL8Jeff said:
Are you stuck with the jet kit or did you put that on hold? I hate when people have a different interpretation of "good condition". What year range Mercury 90 2 stroke are you looking for?

Haven't received the jet kit yet. As far as I know, it hasn't been shipped. I ordered it from The Jet Doctor because OBJ has about a 4 month backlog of orders. The Jet Doctor had to get a different shaft from OBJ before they could ship. Haven't decided whether or not to try to cancel. Looking from about 2000 up. Found a good prospect on CL this morning. May try to check it out in a few days.

I know how it feels to be searching for what seems like a needle in a hay stack. I bought my old merc 2s 60 so I could have a 60 tiller steer to convert to jet since I couldn't find any reasonable deals on ones with a jet already. Then took a while to hunt down a jet for it used. I was and still am too cheap to buy new. I really wanted a omc 70hp triple but at the time I couldn't find any worth a darn for a fair price came by the merc 60 I had. Ran it the last two years almost ended up finding a good deal on a 70hp evinrude tiller with a jet in great shape that I jumped on then swapped to it not too long ago.

Found a place in PA that rebuilds outboards and called them today. Asked about getting a rebuilt 90hp Merc and told the owner that I planned to buy a new jet lower and put it on the motor. He told me that he had a '99 Mercury Factory 60/40 jet ready to rebuild and sell, so I took him up on it. The price wasn't cheap but it was fairly reasonable and saved me the cost of buying a new jet foot to put on a prop motor. Over $2300 for the 90hp jet kit. So I'm almost back to where I was last fall before my old 2S jet blew. Except for still having a 4S jet to sell, of course. Hopefully, this deal will work out better than the last motor I bought.

Hey Andy, do you happen to know where I can pick up a good used 2S Stainless 6 7/8" impeller? :mrgreen:

:LOL2: sorry larry sure don't, wouldn't be surprised if your new to you motor will already have one most of the those factory merc jets came with a stainless impeller.

I sell jet boats, mostly with new motors. But I buy any good 2 stroke 90 Yamaha I can find to sell with the boats. My personal boat has a 90 from the eighties. These 3 cylinder Yamahas are just tough and reliable. On my 1756 boats these 90s will put the boat on plane in 30 feet and run as skinny as any 4 stroke. My motor also has an early jet drive that has better reverse than the new ones. Nowadays I mostly install new 4 stroke Mercury 40s because they are the lightest in their class and aren't expensive. But they don't hold a candle to 2 stroke Yamaha 90s except in fuel consumption and noise.

Vol423 said:
I sell jet boats, mostly with new motors. But I buy any good 2 stroke 90 Yamaha I can find to sell with the boats. My personal boat has a 90 from the eighties. These 3 cylinder Yamahas are just tough and reliable. On my 1756 boats these 90s will put the boat on plane in 30 feet and run as skinny as any 4 stroke. My motor also has an early jet drive that has better reverse than the new ones. Nowadays I mostly install new 4 stroke Mercury 40s because they are the lightest in their class and aren't expensive. But they don't hold a candle to 2 stroke Yamaha 90s except in fuel consumption and noise.

I agree with you there about two and four strokes. Those larger yamaha 3 cyl and the omc 3cyl 40-70hp's were some of the best engines I think. The merc 3 cyl two strokes were good too. But there is just a lot more performance wise that can be done to the omc 3cyl vs the merc. The yamaha 3 cyl the bigger ones like your talking about 70-90hp were great engines just seems they're harder to find let alone a jet for them, and tiller in my case. They had a leg up on the omc being they were larger displacement. Growing up in missouri you didn't see the bigger yamaha 3 cyl due to a lot rivers people run jets on having the 40hp restriction.

55" wide boat will handle a heck of a lot of weight. Its all in what you are comfortable with for sure. A 90/65 Merc would be great. Does your boat have a tunnel? My friend has a Lowe 1655 and his came factory with a jet tunnel.
Been looking for one of those 1655's for years...what a boat.

Latest posts