Grumman Freighter canoe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
Anyone have fishing experience out of a 19 ft Grumman Freighter canoe? I have a 17 ft double end Grumman and would like to know how much more stable the 19 ft square back one is? I would like to use it in the river and in big lakes, also in an electric only lake near where I live. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd

Has anybody been in a Sport Boat. How did it compair to a flat bottom or Vee hull?

I knew a couple of guys (on-line) who used freighters; Both were Canadians. One was a moose hunter and used one with a ?10hp? to go back to his hunting area and, at least once, to transport himself, his hunting partner and a a quartered moose back out. I tried to find the site and thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

The other was a RCMP Constable, and he'd posted a few shots of local population hunters, one of which included a freighter.

I think, when Grumman sold their business to Marathon, the product changed. I believe they made shorter square sterns, and of thinner aluminum.

Here's one site I found, but it may be too general for you.

https://www.canoeing.com/canoes/specialty/squarestern.htm

From what I'd seen and read, the Freighter was an industrial-strength craft, made to carry more than a thousand pounds of freight, as well as the passengers. I don't know what rating for horsepower they set.

Best wishes.

Kismet said:
I knew a couple of guys (on-line) who used freighters; Both were Canadians. One was a moose hunter and used one with a ?10hp? to go back to his hunting area and, at least once, to transport himself, his hunting partner and a a quartered moose back out. I tried to find the site and thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

The other was a RCMP Constable, and he'd posted a few shots of local population hunters, one of which included a freighter.

I think, when Grumman sold their business to Marathon, the product changed. I believe they made shorter square sterns, and of thinner aluminum.

Here's one site I found, but it may be too general for you.

https://www.canoeing.com/canoes/specialty/squarestern.htm

From what I'd seen and read, the Freighter was an industrial-strength craft, made to carry more than a thousand pounds of freight, as well as the passengers. I don't know what rating for horsepowernew they set.

Best wishes.

That's a great link. Who knew there were so many square back canoes. The Grummen 15 and 19 are made from the only material worth considering. Aluminum. Surface drive mud motor and one of those would be a hoot.

My Grumman 1973 19’ Freighter canoe with lift and use a 9.9 Merc 15” 2 stroke with Rockhopper prop guard. I use this canoe mainly for moose hunting in interior Alaska.
One Moose and 2 Hunters and camping gear it will haul.
The lighter weight 8HP Yamaha 2 Stoke is perfect and highly desired for this canoe in Alaska the 15HP is often used also.

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0400.jpeg
    IMG_0400.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That's a great link. Who knew there were so many square back canoes. The Grummen 15 and 19 are made from the only material worth considering. Aluminum. Surface drive mud motor and one of those would be a hoot.
I had a Honda 6HP Swamp Runner Medium on my 19’ Grumman ………too big of a turning radius and no reverse . One time on the testing and sold it immediately and went back to my Outboard .

Those freighter canoes look awesome, I enjoy watching the Alaska TV shows and a couple have been shown on there. Packed with gear to the max and they hardly squated down, and boy do they move along with a small motor !! Pretty cool boats !!

Anyone have fishing experience out of a 19 ft Grumman Freighter canoe? I have a 17 ft double end Grumman and would like to know how much more stable the 19 ft square back one is? I would like to use it in the river and in big lakes, also in an electric only lake near where I live. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd
Maybe sometime last century, or at least more than a decade ago, a poster from Canada detailed his moose hunting trip and used a freighter to get the quartered meat home.

Unfortunately, I can't remember if it was on Tinboats or a hunting forum.

sorry.

We hunt the small rivers and camp near but if get to high ground so we can scan. Always take a Jet Sled Jr with a pulling shoulder harness among with DeWalt chain saw and Swedish Hatchet. Skin Wrap each quarter and make at least 5 trips back to canoe. Closer to the canoe the better. Debone the ribs and neck . Last trip is for the tools and Horns. Always carry Glock G20 handgun for bear protection !

Last edited:
Back in the 70's (the last century), I had a good friend who had one and we fished every stream in north Arkansas in that thing. It was an amazing craft. Very shallow draft, 3 anglers could easily fish from it.

Soon after Marathon bought Grumman they switched the hull thickness to a thinner aluminum. After about 4 years outcry from the canoe community Marathon switched backed to the original thickness. So before you buy a 19’ check the manufacturer date to make sure it’s a thicker one.
Today Marathon stopped all production of the 19’ Grumman Freighter Model.

Can you tell me more about the “Rock Hopper”.
Yes a man made the Rock Hopper for me 25 years ago in Minnesota. I noticed they were sold at Bass Pro Shop I bought mine direct from Rock Hopper. Currently I believe the man that made has past away. On my 2004 9.9HP since new and still have the original prop.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.png
    IMG_0485.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I installed rear LED clearance lights on middle crossover this week. Now my trailer is in the shop getting complete new hubs / seals / Bearings and Bearing buddies. It appeared to be the Original 1982 Ez Loader Hub assembly.
70873170205__616941BC-601B-47D0-87B2-E46A913F0F6B.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts