Gunnel Track on My Alumacraft V16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to to move forward and add gunnel track to my boat. I wanted to mount rod holders in various locations in the boat. I did not want to mount rod holders permanently by drilling holes, as I wanted them to be moved as needed. There may be other accessories that I want to add to gunnels so track seemed the best method.

I first attempted adding Railblaza track but the lengths sold were too short. I also considered various clamp on rod holders but they did not fit as well as I prefered.

I used anodized aluminum T track. It is universal track primarily used in woodworking. I used red color to match hull color.

I drilled 1/8" holes along the gunnel and tapped them using an 8-32 tap. I used 8-32 flat head stainless machine screws. These matched the counter sunk holes in T track.
Track lengths were 48". I used three on each side. I cut one track down on port side rear (above FF) as it is not feasible to add any rod holders/accessories above FF. I did not run track all the way to transom. It is short of transom by about 15". The reason being as I thought I would not add any rod holders/accessories that far back. If I end up needing track that far back, I have additional track and can add it as needed.

I am using Railblaza Sideport Tracloader Mounts and Railblaza Rod Holder II rod holders. They fit better on the T Track than Scotty side mounts. Railblaza products are pretty nice and appear to be of very good quality.

All in all, the track mounted very well. It is solid and very functional. I can slide rod holders fore and aft as needed. I can also add accessories as needed. IMO, this is a very worthwhile upgrade for an aluminum boat that did come factory with gunnel track and when rod holders are needed at various locations throughout the boat.

Attachments

• track 1.jpeg
    track 1.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 20
  • track 2.jpeg
    track 2.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 11
  • track 3.jpeg
    track 3.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 9
  • track 4.jpeg
    track 4.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 10
  • track 5.jpeg
    track 5.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 10
  • track 6.jpeg
    track 6.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 10
Great info - thanks for sharing! That turned out stunningly well. I like that you found an anodized color option to match.

I decided to to move forward and add gunnel track to my boat. I wanted to mount rod holders in various locations in the boat. I did not want to mount rod holders permanently by drilling holes, as I wanted them to be moved as needed. There may be other accessories that I want to add to gunnels so track seemed the best method.

I first attempted adding Railblaza track but the lengths sold were too short. I also considered various clamp on rod holders but they did not fit as well as I prefered.

I used anodized aluminum T track. It is universal track primarily used in woodworking. I used red color to match hull color.

I drilled 1/8" holes along the gunnel and tapped them using an 8-32 tap. I used 8-32 flat head stainless machine screws. These matched the counter sunk holes in T track.
Track lengths were 48". I used three on each side. I cut one track down on port side rear (above FF) as it is not feasible to add any rod holders/accessories above FF. I did not run track all the way to transom. It is short of transom by about 15". The reason being as I thought I would not add any rod holders/accessories that far back. If I end up needing track that far back, I have additional track and can add it as needed.

I am using Railblaza Sideport Tracloader Mounts and Railblaza Rod Holder II rod holders. They fit better on the T Track than Scotty side mounts. Railblaza products are pretty nice and appear to be of very good quality.

All in all, the track mounted very well. It is solid and very functional. I can slide rod holders fore and aft as needed. I can also add accessories as needed. IMO, this is a very worthwhile upgrade for an aluminum boat that did come factory with gunnel track and when rod holders are needed at various locations throughout the boat.
Very nice rigging. Photo 4 is very interesting - looks like you mounted garbage can there.

You have a link to the track you bought? TIA

Latest posts