Gunwale track

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as track designed to mount on the round top of a gunwale? The top of my gunwales are round and I’m trying to figure out how to mount rod holders on the sides of my 16’ tin boat.

I would think that any of the kayak-type 'track systems' would still mount to the gunnel, even if rounded somewhat at the top. At worst, if the track is 3/4" wide. add a thin 1/8" wide 3M outdoor 'car trim' adhesive strip down the length of the track, to each outside edge ... not so much for adhesive, but to balance it. That adhesive is a good 1/32" or better thick (before compression) and would help.

I would think that any of the kayak-type 'track systems' would still mount to the gunnel, even if rounded somewhat at the top. At worst, if the track is 3/4" wide. add a thin 1/8" wide 3M outdoor 'car trim' adhesive strip down the length of the track, to each outside edge ... not so much for adhesive, but to balance it. That adhesive is a good 1/32" or better thick (before compression) and would help.
Do you think it would hold a big cat or stripper? All my ideas have me picturing the whole thing tearing from my boat and taking my rods with it. Lol
I can get individual mounts that are made for round gunwales but I’d rather have a track for the convenience.
As always sir I appreciate your input on all my projects.

I added a track for rod holders on my Islander using a piece of 1" thick x 3.5" wide piece of mahogany bolted to the side. I bought a U shaped piece of aluminum track and cut a slot in the mahogany to install the aluminum track. Each side was 8' ft in length and the 4 rod holders could slide along the 8' length and lock in place wuth hand knob. Worked great, lots of complements on them !! It just fastens to the inside of the gunnel, you coukd make it as long or short as needed.

Hold a 'stripper'? I don't know ... some of them 💃 ladies can get pretty big ...

Sounds like we need pictures of Airshots idea, as that sounds great!

But otherwise I'd use high-shear 1/4" rivets to hold the track on, it wouldn't go anywhere.

I added a track for rod holders on my Islander using a piece of 1" thick x 3.5" wide piece of mahogany bolted to the side. I bought a U shaped piece of aluminum track and cut a slot in the mahogany to install the aluminum track. Each side was 8' ft in length and the 4 rod holders could slide along the 8' length and lock in place wuth hand knob. Worked great, lots of complements on them !! It just fastens to the inside of the gunnel, you coukd make it as long or short as needed.

One good idea generates others. Blocks every few feet to hold the track would work well too. Could be wood, starboard, or whatever.

Alternatively, maybe a piece of aluminum angle on the round gunnel to provide a flat surface for the t-tracks:

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.55.55 AM.png

I thought of adding T track to the inside of my gunnel extrusion. I passed on it, and tried other ideas. Now I am back to giving it a go. Ordered some 4' T track. It is 3/4" wide and 3/8" tall. Standard 1/4" carriage bolt heads and/or T bolts should work. If it bends at the bow area of my boat, I will tap and use machine ss machine bolts to attach.

It should also work on the inside of your round gunnel using LDUBS idea for a flat surface.

Attachments

• 81G1IVDeaML._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81G1IVDeaML._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 3
Alternatively, maybe a piece of aluminum angle on the round gunnel to provide a flat surface for the t-tracks:

View attachment 113194

Looking at above, instead of a continuous piece of angle, maybe cut a bunch of 3/4" or 1" wide and put them where the track would be screwed or riveted thru the angle into the gunnel. Using this approach, I think I would mount the t-track to the inside.

Found these. Not T-tracks but they are made for round gunnels and look pretty robust:

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 2.55.14 PM.png

Not sure about the cost of the above red “channel or strut”, however, that’s what it is. Look at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, grainger or your local electrical supplier. Get some scrap pieces of aluminum extruded strut/channel. Put a strut nut in it, with the threads you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superst...Gold-Galvanized-5-Pack-ZCM1001-4-10/202077349
When you cut the ends of the channel, put a 45 degree angle on to take the edge off.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as track designed to mount on the round top of a gunwale? The top of my gunwales are round and I’m trying to figure out how to mount rod holders on the sides of my 16’ tin boat.
741E239F-6679-416C-B07D-FA3EC6D364BC.jpegI welded a railing on to the gunnel and used the shown rod holders to solve my problem

Hold a 'stripper'? I don't know ... some of them 💃 ladies can get pretty big ...

Sounds like we need pictures of Airshots idea, as that sounds great!

But otherwise I'd use high-shear 1/4" rivets to hold the track on, it wouldn't go anywhere.
I do have the tools and a stock of stainless steel and aluminum rivets.

Looking at above, instead of a continuous piece of angle, maybe cut a bunch of 3/4" or 1" wide and put them where the track would be screwed or riveted thru the angle into the gunnel. Using this approach, I think I would mount the t-track to the inside.

Found these. Not T-tracks but they are made for round gunnels and look pretty robust:

View attachment 113196
I found some made by Driftmaster and they’re having a clearance on the 1/2” threaded so it cheaper than the 3/8”. I have them in the shopping cart waiting for me to pull the trigger. The 1/2” holders them selves though run $30 each which I might as well and get the Monster holders I’ve been wanting.
where did you find these I like the looks better? Driftmasters are more of a v shaped.
When you say to the inside do you mean the Ttrack will be facing the inside of the boat or facing up. I asked because I think the make accessories for both. For now I got down drifting the boat sideways. I’m trying to cover as much real-estate as possible with planner boards helping.
I’m still going to build my multiple rod rack across the back later. It’s going to be all aluminum angle very well braced with no welding and removable.
I’m definitely going to have to invest in some planer boards. If it works like I plan I’ll be drifting the boat forward with 6 rods up top and one on each side. With the planner boards I should be covering about 60’ behind the boat at deferent depths and distances behind the boat. I’ll be like a tractor pulling a big mower. I’ll have to learn exactly how to make it work without tangling everything but I’ve seen guys do it. I’ll have a hand moving rods when there’s a fish on as well.

Not sure about the cost of the above red “channel or strut”, however, that’s what it is. Look at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, grainger or your local electrical supplier. Get some scrap pieces of aluminum extruded strut/channel. Put a strut nut in it, with the threads you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superst...Gold-Galvanized-5-Pack-ZCM1001-4-10/202077349
When you cut the ends of the channel, put a 45 degree angle on to take the edge off.
I’ve been shopping T track. Never even heard of these. I also just realized ive got to find something that holds larger than 1/4” bolts. My rod holder are going to be 1/2”. Thank you sir.

I found some made by Driftmaster and they’re having a clearance on the 1/2” threaded so it cheaper than the 3/8”. I have them in the shopping cart waiting for me to pull the trigger. The 1/2” holders them selves though run $30 each which I might as well and get the Monster holders I’ve been wanting.
where did you find these I like the looks better? Driftmasters are more of a v shaped.

The one I pictured in the earlier post is from a site called "catfishconference.com" (I know nothing about them). Below is a similar one from Monster along with a kind of different "L" shaped style that seems like it would work well on a round gunnel.

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 4.10.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-07 at 4.14.00 PM.png

When you say to the inside do you mean the Ttrack will be facing the inside of the boat or facing up. I asked because I think the make accessories for both. For now I got down drifting the boat sideways. I’m trying to cover as much real-estate as possible with planner boards helping.
I’m still going to build my multiple rod rack across the back later. It’s going to be all aluminum angle very well braced with no welding and removable.
I’m definitely going to have to invest in some planer boards. If it works like I plan I’ll be drifting the boat forward with 6 rods up top and one on each side. With the planner boards I should be covering about 60’ behind the boat at deferent depths and distances behind the boat. I’ll be like a tractor pulling a big mower. I’ll have to learn exactly how to make it work without tangling everything but I’ve seen guys do it. I’ll have a hand moving rods when there’s a fish on as well.

Yes, I meant I personally would have the track facing the inside of the boat (as opposed to facing up). To me that is just more out of the way and less prone to damage. YMMV.

How many rods do they allow you out there in Texas? I have to pay an extra $18 on the fishing license for a second rod.

Everything I’ve looked at so far from channel or strut or T track is for 1/4” bolt heads. I need to have a 1/2” nut for my rod holders. I’m still searching there’s got to be something.
Anybody know of anything?

The one I pictured in the earlier post is from a site called "catfishconference.com" (I know nothing about them). Below is a similar one from Monster along with a kind of different "L" shaped style that seems like it would work well on a round gunnel.

View attachment 113203View attachment 113204

Yes, I meant I personally would have the track facing the inside of the boat (as opposed to facing up). To me that is just more out of the way and less prone to damage. YMMV.

How many rods do they allow you out there in Texas? I have to pay an extra $18 on the fishing license for a second rod.
We’re allowed 100 hooks in the water. That includes troutlines and jug lines. AND rod and reels.
I like the idea of facing the track inside. I would just have to find the right kind of mounts. I think Scotty has some. I didn’t see the L shaped ones On Driftmaster.

Last edited:

Latest posts