Has anyone ever swapped decals to make their 25HP a 20HP?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Murphy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Board,

I realize this is an ethical question, so I understand that it might not get answered.

That said I have an older Grumman 4.6 with a 2017 Yamaha 25HP on it. Many of my local lakes are restricted to 20HP. I was thinking about putting 20HP decals on it and using the boat on the lakes. It's not like I'm going to be pulling skiers or wakeboarders.

Has anyone ever done this, and have you had any issues? I figure as long as I am operating responsibly no one is going to ask to see the serial number on my engine since the current 4 stroke Yamaha engines in the 20 to 25HP range are built with the same blocks and physical dimensions.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :D

I would think the serial numbers would not be the same.
A lot of people put 9.9 decals on 15 hp. Mercury outboards here in Pa. for use on 9.9 hp. restricted lakes, it took a while for the PFBC to get wise enough to start looking at serial numbers instead of the decals.
Your choice, you may never have a problem, or you may get busted and pay a fine!

overboard said:
I would think the serial numbers would not be the same.
A lot of people put 9.9 decals on 15 hp. Mercury outboards here in Pa. for use on 9.9 hp. restricted lakes, it took a while for the PFBC to get wise enough to start looking at serial numbers instead of the decals.
Your choice, you may never have a problem, or you may get busted and pay a fine!

Dear overboard,

I totally understand that the choice is mine and my boat will never be on lake with a less than 20HP limit unless I fish the lake with my trolling motors.

I think I'm going to order some 20HP decals and see what happens. At 3/4 throttle no would know if it wasn't a 20HP by the performance.

For the record, I wish PA would make small, motorized lakes "idle speed only, no wake" like many other States do. If you are on a HP limited lake with a $ 50,000 300HP bass boat you are only there for one reason, and that is to fish. It shouldn't be so hard to comply!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :D

Mr. Murphy.....you do understand that your DNR, (or whatever it's called in your state), can confiscate the boat, motor, trailer, fishing gear, and even tow vehicle on the spot for such an infraction, if they want to push it that hard, right?

Food for thoought.....Roger

GTS225 said:
Mr. Murphy.....you do understand that your DNR, (or whatever it's called in your state), can confiscate the boat, motor, trailer, fishing gear, and even tow vehicle on the spot for such an infraction, if they want to push it that hard, right?

wow, when it gets that bad, its time to move.

GTS225 said:

They can take your first born child, clean out your retirement accounts and make the earth spin backwards too.

On a worthwhile note...I'm not familiar with the Yamaha 20 / 25hp motors, if they're part of the same engine family you shouldn't have an issue with the signage being different sizes for the cowl, but if they are different you could approach one of the decal studios online and have them custom print the decal sized for your power motor featuring the digits you select.

They can take your first born child, clean out your retirement accounts and make the earth spin backwards too.

On a worthwhile note...I'm not familiar with the Yamaha 20 / 25hp motors, if they're part of the same engine family you shouldn't have an issue with the signage being different sizes for the cowl, but if they are different you could approach one of the decal studios online and have them custom print the decal sized for your power motor featuring the digits you

Amazing what some people will come up with.

It got so bad locally that the state gave in and went from 10hp all the way up to 20hp as they had too many orphaned children, and more confiscated boats than they could auction off.

Not to mention tow vehicles and houses.

After they realized people were just swapping cowels or decals they changed the law to allow higher hp, but they do now look for the tag on the motor. Now you have to buy a motor bracket for your 25-35 hp motor that shows it’s only 20hp. :lol:

And so it goes…

In my state the DNR folks will snap a pic of the motor serial number tag, run the number and that tells them the HP. I used to have a 9.9 converted to a 15, never had an issue because when they run the tag it showed up 9.9 hp. I always kept my speed down so I didnt attract attention, but the law has their ways of figuring things out.

Latest posts