He Reigns Mon Ark project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cylinder will not clean up with a light hone. It is scorred pretty good. I found a used cylinder, head and piston for it. I think I will go that route for now.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1401383737022.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401383737022.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401383737022.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,096
This video shows the damage caused by what I think was a broken ring and a spoon update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPI78TGZb3Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That sucks about the burnt cylinder...have you considered dropping the oil pump and going premix to ensure proper oil/fuel mixture? Might be cheap insurance against future issues?

bnt5 said:
That sucks about the burnt cylinder...have you considered dropping the oil pump and going premix to ensure proper oil/fuel mixture? Might be cheap insurance against future issues?

Yes I have thought about it. Part of me wants to, part of me does not.....still thinking about it.

Yeah, that would be a roasted cylinder from carb problems...

I watched your video. I wouldn't dump a lot of money into this engine. If you had metal bouncing around the top of the piston I will lay money some made it down to the bottom as well. Expect the crank bearing to poop once it's back together, it's just the course these things tend to run.

Check out SBT and start saving for a rebuilt long block.

Thanx, for the info. I figured a 50/50 chance of bottom end problems. I will intall new piston, cylinder and head and run it. If there is a bottom end problem it won't take long to show up. I figured for $70.00 for the new parts it would be worth the chance.

I pulled a perfectly good oil pump on the off chance she poops out, I have been running 2 stroke outboards for years and always mixed my oil so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I wonder if that last cylinder got lean because of blockage in the oil line? Maybe a good idea, if you haven't already, to replace the oil lines with new clear ones so you can always keep an eye on them....depending on who you talk to, those oil pumps are either bullet proof or a ticking time bomb. You are probably better off keeping it since manufacturer thought it was a good idea in the first place. Nice buy on the cylinder parts btw, you might just get away with minimal wallet damage! 8)

On a side note, I think your engine is bigger than mine even though they are the same cc's. Mine is twin carb 2 cylinder so I would assume it's pushing less horsepower at the pump. I didn't realize seadoo put that big of an engine in that small jetski, I bet that thing flew across the water...

It's a 1994 Polaris slt 750 rated at 80 horse, not a seadoo. The oil lines are clear of obstructions, so I don't see a feed problem. Does not mean there isnt one though. I have toasted one other motor due to oil injection problems in the past. Premix may be the answer. I have some metal laying around I could make a blockoff plate out of. My biggest concern as Ranchero50 brought up is the bottom end.

I would also run a length of clear return hose to make sure your pump is pushing enough fuel through the carbs. I wonder how Polaris configured the fuel pump and lines? On my Seadoo the front carb has the pump and both carbs have a return line (T'd into one).

Pain in the butt to deal with but at least you haven't decked it over yet. That was one design requirement when I built mine (being able to work on it)

I just purchased a better fuel pump and oil pump block off plate. With the new fuel pump, each carb will have a individual supply hose from the pump. With the old pump the carbs had one hose to feed them all. I decided to go pre mix so the oil pump is getting removed. Still hopeing the bottom end does not have damage but if it does all these upgrades can be used on New motor.

All parts should be here next week. With any luck the next test run will be next weekend. That will give me time to work on decking .

Not sure how Polaris does their engines but with mine,I was able to take off the carb intake manifold and the front stator cover then "hose" out the bottom end with kerosene to remove any junk that had accumulated down there. I didn't have any metal pieces to deal with but it definitely had gunk that washed out might be a good way to get rid of any shrapnel.

Out with the old and in with the......slightly used. Started to swap out parts tonight. I got the old piston removed and the new one installed. Grabbed the cylinder only to realise some nitwit did not order new gaskets. They are now ordered and I won't have the new fuel pump and oil pump block off plate untill end of week. So I took the time to remove intake and reed valves, cleaned them and reinstalled. This was only a precautionary measure to make sure there are not any vacuum leaks. I thought I would show a homebuilt wrist pin puller. A piece of all thread, couple nuts and a washer along with a big ol socket. Works great!!!
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1401762511290.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1401762541756.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401762511290.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401762511290.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,796
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401762541756.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401762541756.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,796
Just because the boat is broken it does not mean the fishing stops, boys and I went out to catch some smallies from our favorite fishing from the bank spots. Final Talley was 2 at 15 inches, 2 at 14 inches and 1 at 13 inches with a bunch more that were to small. All is great!! A picture of yours truely with my 15 incher.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1401764342034.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401764342034.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401764342034.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,792
Love the puller, that's great! =D> Nice smallie, good colors on him too. That's the main reason I am wanting a jetjon to hunt for my favorite fish the smallmouth. Speaking of which, looking at a 16' flat bottom jon tomorrow night!! Keeping my fingers crossed...so there might be a new thread on the board in the next couple of days.

Good luck on the boat, make sure it is the right one for you! A boat allows access one cannot get on the bank. It's nice to go out and fish all by ourselves. Plus we have so many rivers, the closest boat ramp is about 1/4 mile from house. I live on Idaho/Oregon border just above hells canyon. Which is were we are heading if I get the boat together this weekend. Crappie are starting to bite on brownlee reservoir.

Bnt5, whats the word on the boat?

Received and installed the oil pump block off plate. Pretty quick project with access to the motor. It would be a major pain if still in jet ski. Looks like New fuel pump and gaskets should be here today. I hope to have everything put back together tonight so I can run it tomorrow after work. IF all goes well we will be fishing Saturday, that a big IF though. I am still worried about the bottom end.

She is now running on 3 cylinders. Not real good though. I did not push it at all because I am using the old fuel pump. They sent the wrong one. For safety I backed the high speed jets out 2 full turns from factory settings and got a decent color on plugs. I will do more testing with new fuel pump.

Anyhow, this is what its all about, no keepers, 2 undersized small mouth. Still a great outing.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1402113868587.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402113868587.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402113868587.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,730
Well at least your are fishing...can't say the same around here. Mother nature uses the Ohio river valley as her sewer pipe and flushes everything through this area! (arrgghhh mud and high water)

Picking up boat today! It's going to be a project...definitely have some roadblocks ahead of me, but should be interesting. Look for new thread soon! 8)

Latest posts