head bolt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff F

Reaction score
Hi , replacing the head gasket on my 2003 johnson 9.9 HP 2 stroke model J10RSRD . Does anyone know what the torque spec is on the head bolts ?? Thanks Jeff

I replaced head gasket because compression was lower on one cyl , also no water coming out of tell tale hose, I could feel air pressure out of hose . compression getting in to cooling system ?? took head off gasket been on there 20 years , very dried up and you could see where it was blown out . Thanks Jeff

That is the information I was looking for. It would be wise for you to pull the powerhead and check the water tube grommets. they are usually folded over and melted very close to completely shut. There are a couple of threads on this complete with photos. Well worth looking into as the engine will repeatedly overheat if this is the case. No, just because you have water coming out of the overboard indicator it does not mean you have adequate cooling water at or near WOT. It is an indicator only not a gauge on how well the engine is cooling.

Up Date , I ordered head gasket . head bolts and thermostat from my local Evinrude Johnson out board dealer on July 21 st , 4 weeks have passed still no parts , after three weeks I went to dealer to check to see what was going on . head gasket came in, only problem it was for a 4 stroke engine , I have 2 stroke rest of parts still on back order , the parts person reordered the head gasket and was told all parts coming from BRP ( bombardier recreational products ) also BRP has had serious problem with their computer system at the time my parts were ordered , getting parts for this motor is becoming a challenge . hopefully I get my parts by December 25 th I really want to put this motor back together to see If will run right . jeff

Jeff F said:
compression getting in to cooling system ??

I had this same issue and it got so bad before I realized it I wasted the impeller I had just installed.

Impeller and plastic housing were melted and deformed from the inside and out.

ETA: Found a pic.

Note the carbon fouling in the water passages and on T stat.

https://tinboats.net/forum/download/file.php?id=108953&mode=view

RBW , yeah once I got the cyl head off I blew out the cooling passages in the motor and Cyl head especially the where the thermostat is installed and also where I have the lower unit off I also blew air into the water inlet pipe got good air out of the ports, my head gasket looks almost as bad as your picture Jeff

I just did a head gasket and impeller on my 9.9 check out my thread here:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Etinboats%2Enet%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D49441&share_tid=49441&share_fid=21494&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Jeff F said:
RBW , yeah once I got the cyl head off I blew out the cooling passages in the motor and Cyl head especially the where the thermostat is installed and also where I have the lower unit off I also blew air into the water inlet pipe got good air out of the ports, my head gasket looks almost as bad as your picture Jeff

So blowing through the water tube with 100+psi air pressure and hearing air come out up top means you think the grommets are not melted? That kind of pressure will get past them. Water at a much lower pressure may not.
Also, the thermostat only functions at idle so if you think it controls temp at WOT you would be incorrect. It does not. Remember there is no hot horn or any indication on that engine when it overheats.

Latest posts