Help me with 9.9/9.8 choices

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagante

Reaction score
I have a very nice standard Alumacraft 1235 with a 5 hp Nissan. I would like to upgrade to the maximum horsepower which is 10 hp. In helping me with this choice I need to tell you that I’m thinking about modifying the boat with decksCarpets and floors but I do not have any design in mind right now. I’ve search the forum and I don’t see many of these conversions. I know that it will add additional weight and other problems so I want that to be taken into consideration and choosing a new motor. The Yamahas look nice But the prices I’m seeing are about $1000 more than mercury and Tohatsu. Never was a mercury man but I understand that Tohasu Make them. The Suzuki appears to be pretty heavy. I will try to keep the conversion as light as possible as will dry launch the boat.

A new suzuki 9.9 can be turned into a 15 or 20hp with mods.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

I picked up a new Tahatsu in 2018 and it gets a lot of use. Been a great motor. Mine is a 20 hp.If you dont want to go new look for a good used 9.9 Johnson or Evinrude.

nytebyte said:
I picked up a new Tahatsu in 2018 and it gets a lot of use. Been a great motor. Mine is a 20 hp. If you dont want to go new look for a good used 9.9 Johnson or Evinrude.

I'm speaking mainly to the OP, but nytebyte feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here....

Everyone raves about the 20 hp Tohatsus. I think they are a hair over 100lbs with the electric start which is excellent. I'm not sure what the smaller hp tohatsus weigh but it can't be too much lighter.

The old 9.9 hp 2 strokes that were the same powerheads as the 15 hp models were only about 70 something lbs and zip pretty good. For example, I have a 1992 Johnson 9.9 hp with the 15 hp carb mounted on a very thin/light 1440 flatbottom and it will zip around at 25 mph with me and a light load. Just for reference even if you don't plan to look at only older model motors.

Thanks. 9.8 uses the smaller block of an 8hp so is lighter. 81.5 lbs. also mechanic tells me that the pull will be similar to my 5hp Nissan. 9.9 on other hand has bigger block and harder pull start.

It's my understanding that all of the Mercury outboards smaller than 30hp are Tohatsu built. So basically, they are Tohatsu's with pretty badging.

With that said, if you REALLY compare the Yamaha to the Tohatsu, you will see where Tohatsu cut a few corners to save a few dollars. It is less expensive for a few reasons. Is it a decent motor? Sure. But it's been my experience that the yamaha's are just that much better in a lot of ways. Every tohatsu I've ever used had a weird "whine" that a Yamaha don't have. You don't notice it until you use a motor that don't do it, or at least that's the way I am.

Right now, take what you can get. Outboards of all sizes are in short supply.

Suzuki is not popular here-mainly because ain't very many dealers around. No product support if they aint' no dealers to help you. On the waters, you see Yamaha, Mercury, Tohatsu, Evinrude in that order of popularity, with Yamaha being about twice as popular as the other brands combined.

A 1236 boat won't take much weight-speaking from experience. In my opinion, stick with something small, 80lb or so. It's just a lightweight boat.

I can buy the Tohatsu for $2200 new but Yamaha is low to mid 3s. Love Them but not that much and WAY on back order.
80 lbs leaves only Tohatsu and Merc which is a Tahatsu with Merc badge, carb, and tiller shift control rather than on motor. About 150 more. If Tohatsu cut corners so did Mercury. I suspect that what you’re referring to is that it is a smaller block and acts differently then the larger block with most of the 9.9s

Vagante said:
I can buy the Tohatsu for $2200 new but Yamaha is low to mid 3s. Love Them but not that much and WAY on back order.
80 lbs leaves only Tohatsu and Merc which is a Tahatsu with Merc badge, carb, and tiller shift control rather than on motor. About 150 more. If Tohatsu cut corners so did Mercury. I suspect that what you’re referring to is that it is a smaller block and acts differently then the larger block with most of the 9.9s

Are the tohatsu and mercury 9.8/9.9's carbureted? I thought tohatsu for sure went to EFI on that size a while back?

I'm not that bright, but for the weight issues and the vast difference in price between the $2200 engines and a $500-700 OMC 10 hp, on a light , short hull, there is no question in my mind which way I would go.

Your boat, your choices, but new isn't always the best choice for practical application.

Best wishes.

Are the tohatsu and mercury 9.8/9.9's carbureted? I thought tohatsu for sure went to EFI on that size a while back?
[/quote]

The 9.8 is carbureted and the 9.9 is injected

Suzuki 9.9 elec start with power trim is 122 pounds. Great motor. Also you can upgrade to a 15 hp for about $5 or a 20 hp for $400.

Been looking at the tohatsu 8. horse 2022 model. Found a few and they are discounted from original price. Two horsepower Believe will not make that much of a difference. If I run across a fish that can swim faster than I can travel through the water than good on them. The 8 is a two cylinder 4 stroke. The boat is a 14 foot Lone Star which is rated for a 10 horse max anyhow. Oklahoma requires a tag for 10 plus horse so a 8 will save some money. Most of the time I will be fishing solo and if my diet and exercise program after surgery works as planned it will be icing on the cake. In a nutshell there is a lot of variables to think about before buying a new motor.

We just went through this with another poster about adding weight to a smaller, more narrow boat and worried about the new lack of performance.
In this small of a boat every pound counts. Minimize any additions, do not add carpet as you wont like it in the long run anyway and it is unnecessary weight.
You have a very small narrow planing surface on that hull and you will really compromise performance by adding too much to the boat.

I would seriously consider a mid 90's Jonyrude 9.9 two stroke, under 70 lbs and much better performance than a four stroke. I had a 94 evinrude 9.9 was an awesome motor, always started second pull, changed the carb to a 15 hp model when I upgraded to a 14' V bottom. So much better performance, lighter weight, more compact than a new four stroke...the little bit of extra fuel use is minimal, and the two stroke is so much easier to work on if needed!

I've got a 1966 Lund c14 fisherman that I put a Tohatsu 9.8 on last year. Can get just over 17mph in ideal conditions. I went with 9.8 because I needed electric start and the 9.9 with electric start was heavier. I spent a few months scouring local sales for an old 2-stroke with e-start but got impatient and bought new.
I'd echo those suggesting a used 2-stroke. Lowest weight, best speed. But I do love the smooth, quiet, less stinky 4. Just think I've given up a few mph and added 30lbs to the transom. A reasonable trade off since I needed estart.

Latest posts