How Far to save 30 Cents/Gallon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're a Costco member, it is highly beneficial to use their Costco Visa, and not just for fuel. The Costco Visa gives you rewards for 3% travel, 4% fuel purchases (not just at Costco), 2% Costco purchases, 2% restaurants, and 1% everywhere else. A Costco Visa also gives members increased warranties on a lot of their electronics, especially televisions.

Stove Iron said:
If you're a Costco member, it is highly beneficial to use their Costco Visa, and not just for fuel. The Costco Visa gives you rewards for 3% travel, 4% fuel purchases (not just at Costco), 2% Costco purchases, 2% restaurants, and 1% everywhere else. A Costco Visa also gives members increased warranties on a lot of their electronics, especially televisions.
What is the interest rate on the card, many tines these extras cost in the long run. My CapOne card also insures any purchase I make, from anywhere!! Full money back if not satisfied, and that has been very helpfull when sales have gone bad, especially when using paypal or other money pay systems. Also my interest rate is only 12% if things get stretched out. Read all the fine print when considering your choice of CC....

airshot said:
What is the interest rate on the card, many tines these extras cost in the long run. My CapOne card also insures any purchase I make, from anywhere!! Full money back if not satisfied, and that has been very helpfull when sales have gone bad, especially when using paypal or other money pay systems. Also my interest rate is only 12% if things get stretched out. Read all the fine print when considering your choice of CC....

I think it ranges from 5.5% to 17% based upon credit score and other variables. If you want a cash advance, its something like 25%!

Yeah, devil is in the details...no free lunch.

I literally was just trying to book a short regional flight through my credit card travel link. If I do that I get 5% back in points. Pretty good, except the airfare is 17% higher than if I book directly with the airline. So they can keep their points. It doesn't always happen that way, but it did just now. Crazy.

LDUBS said:
I literally was just trying to book a short regional flight through my credit card travel link. If I do that I get 5% back in points. Pretty good, except the airfare is 17% higher than if I book directly with the airline. So they can keep their points. It doesn't always happen that way, but it did just now. Crazy.

How many folks get suckered into this ?? Gotta read the fine print and do your homework!!

Fuel prices wont go down until after the election, and even then probably not much !! Oil companies had reduced profits for a few years, so now that prices are up, they are gonna get some of their money back while they can... With the arabs cutting production and our dear president degrading our fossil fuel companies I am afraid high fuel prices are here to stay for some time. With the big govt push on electric vehicles, the next shortfall and high price gouge comming is in electric power. Our energy grid is already streched thin with brownouts thru out the country, now we are mass producing electrical vehicles and the piwer stations needed to charge them and.....yep, not enough power creation availiable to serve the needs !! We all know what a shortage does....yep raise prices big time. We are gonna be required to tighten our belts in the near future, or go on all the free handouts while they are still availiable......

airshot said:
Fuel prices wont go down until after the election, and even then probably not much !! Oil companies had reduced profits for a few years, so now that prices are up, they are gonna get some of their money back while they can... With the arabs cutting production and our dear president degrading our fossil fuel companies I am afraid high fuel prices are here to stay for some time. With the big govt push on electric vehicles, the next shortfall and high price gouge comming is in electric power. Our energy grid is already streched thin with brownouts thru out the country, now we are mass producing electrical vehicles and the piwer stations needed to charge them and.....yep, not enough power creation availiable to serve the needs !! We all know what a shortage does....yep raise prices big time. We are gonna be required to tighten our belts in the near future, or go on all the free handouts while they are still availiable......

Bingo-Leslie Nielsen.gif

LDUBS said:
I went to Costco this morning to fill up the truck. There was a place about 3 miles closer to me that would have cost 30 cents/gallon more. I ended up with about 17 gallons, so saved about $5.00. The extra 6 miles and 15 minute round trip (suburban driving) was worth it to me. Made me think. I probably wouldn't do it for a 10 cent difference. 20 cents I might consider skipping the long line at Costco, but would feel kind of guilty I guess.

For diesel, Costco is at $3.29. I have to drive just over 9 miles to get there. World Gas is 3 miles closer at $3.59. The station closest to me is $5.29. Other places in my general area are over $4.50. I don't feel special. :x

Dear LDUBS,

For the last 3 months or so the gas stations closest to my house have been having a gas war. I paid $ 3.63 a gallon to fill up on Sunday this week. Everywhere else is at least $ .30 a gallon more. Even back in the early summer when gas was well over $ 4.25 a gallon around here, they went to $ 3.85 and have never been higher than that since then. I'm glad I'm getting lucky, and I hope they keep battling for a long time.

I work for a trucking company located right off the Interstate. There are 3 truck stops and a half dozen gas stations within 2 miles of my office. $ 3.95 a gallon is best along that stretch currently. I used to always buy gas near work but haven't done that for many months.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :D

Tim Murphy said:
LDUBS said:
I went to Costco this morning to fill up the truck. There was a place about 3 miles closer to me that would have cost 30 cents/gallon more. I ended up with about 17 gallons, so saved about $5.00. The extra 6 miles and 15 minute round trip (suburban driving) was worth it to me. Made me think. I probably wouldn't do it for a 10 cent difference. 20 cents I might consider skipping the long line at Costco, but would feel kind of guilty I guess.

For diesel, Costco is at $3.29. I have to drive just over 9 miles to get there. World Gas is 3 miles closer at $3.59. The station closest to me is $5.29. Other places in my general area are over $4.50. I don't feel special. :x

Dear LDUBS,

For the last 3 months or so the gas stations closest to my house have been having a gas war. I paid $ 3.63 a gallon to fill up on Sunday this week. Everywhere else is at least $ .30 a gallon more. Even back in the early summer when gas was well over $ 4.25 a gallon around here, they went to $ 3.85 and have never been higher than that since then. I'm glad I'm getting lucky, and I hope they keep battling for a long time.

I work for a trucking company located right off the Interstate. There are 3 truck stops and a half dozen gas stations within 2 miles of my office. $ 3.95 a gallon is best along that stretch currently. I used to always buy gas near work but haven't done that for many months.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :D

Thanks Tim Murphy, and your state has pretty high gaso tax too. So why am I paying more than $6 when other high gaso tax states are paying less than $4.

Sailfish_WC said:
I. Drive 5 miles to save $.20

Well gotta do the math....five miles there and back equals ten miles, average car takes 15 gallons, @ .20 you saved 3 bucks or about 3/4 of a gallon, if your car get good fuel mileage you might be ok but if not it might just cost you more !!

LDUBS said:
This is insane. We are still paying north of $6 per gallon around here. The current state average for unleaded gaso is $6.20. What the heck, this is nutso.

Wow....you must be in CA. ??? That explains a lot of weird things !!!
Lol...

airshot said:
LDUBS said:
This is insane. We are still paying north of $6 per gallon around here. The current state average for unleaded gaso is $6.20. What the heck, this is nutso.

Wow....you must be in CA. ??? That explains a lot of weird things !!!
Lol...

"That explains a lot of weird things !!!"

Sadly, this is a very true saying.

I'm in Alberta, Canada. Regular gas is $1.57 per litre. So, there are 3.67 litres in a gallon. 3.67 x 1.57 = $5.76 Canadian per gallon. However, if you factor in the exchange rate on the U.S. dollar it really is $7.49 per gallon.

I'm in Alberta, Canada. Regular gas is $1.57 per litre. So, there are 3.67 litres in a gallon. 3.67 x 1.57 = $5.76 Canadian per gallon. However, if you factor in the exchange rate on the U.S. dollar it really is $7.49 per gallon.
And this is why any time we were going to cross the border, we made sure to fill up right beforehand.

And I'm with you Stove Iron, the Costco card is really good.

Just read an interesting article...thevrefineries in this country are setup to refine heavy crude oil, which we were bringing in from Canada as well as what comes from our own wells. Other countries pump light sweet crude oil, a refinery cant refine both types!! When Trump made us oil independent all the refineries were set up to refine the heavy crude which was plentifull....when Biden became president he stopped the heavy crude market in the name of climate change. He started bringing in light sweet crude, which the oil companies tried to explain they couldnt refine it. Now Biden wants the oil companies to convert to light oil at the cost of billions to make the change!! Why would an oil company want to invest that kind of money to depend on foreign imports ? Because there are only a few refineries that can use light sweet crude, it has created a shortage, thus the price remaining high for gas. Because Biden is pushing for more gasoline production, less diesel is being produced due to limited production of light sweet crude. The feds have offered massive handouts and subsidies to wind and solar but refuse to offer any type of help to convert the refineries over to refine the light sweet crude. Even if they did, it would take a year or two to make these changes, by then Biden wants to phase out all fossil fuels, so why make these changes ?? Things seem to be going in a circle with no good outcome in the near future....better keep your spare gas cans filled as things are not getting better soon !!

Just read an interesting article...thevrefineries in this country are setup to refine heavy crude oil, which we were bringing in from Canada as well as what comes from our own wells. Other countries pump light sweet crude oil, a refinery cant refine both types!! When Trump made us oil independent all the refineries were set up to refine the heavy crude which was plentifull....when Biden became president he stopped the heavy crude market in the name of climate change. He started bringing in light sweet crude, which the oil companies tried to explain they couldnt refine it. Now Biden wants the oil companies to convert to light oil at the cost of billions to make the change!! Why would an oil company want to invest that kind of money to depend on foreign imports ? Because there are only a few refineries that can use light sweet crude, it has created a shortage, thus the price remaining high for gas. Because Biden is pushing for more gasoline production, less diesel is being produced due to limited production of light sweet crude. The feds have offered massive handouts and subsidies to wind and solar but refuse to offer any type of help to convert the refineries over to refine the light sweet crude. Even if they did, it would take a year or two to make these changes, by then Biden wants to phase out all fossil fuels, so why make these changes ?? Things seem to be going in a circle with no good outcome in the near future....better keep your spare gas cans filled as things are not getting better soon !!
In about 3 weeks you guys will run out of diesel if something doesn't give. It's not going to be good.

Here in Canada, we purchased a much needed 5 billion dollar pipe line project and then closed it down. I'll never figure that out.