How Far to save 30 Cents/Gallon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Costco this morning to fill up the truck. There was a place about 3 miles closer to me that would have cost 30 cents/gallon more. I ended up with about 17 gallons, so saved about $5.00. The extra 6 miles and 15 minute round trip (suburban driving) was worth it to me. Made me think. I probably wouldn't do it for a 10 cent difference. 20 cents I might consider skipping the long line at Costco, but would feel kind of guilty I guess.

For diesel, Costco is at $3.29. I have to drive just over 9 miles to get there. World Gas is 3 miles closer at $3.59. The station closest to me is $5.29. Other places in my general area are over $4.50. I don't feel special. :x

I regularly drive 5 miles to save 25 cents a gallon.
It's a Woodmans grocery store / gas station that is always that much cheaper, the grocery prices are good. Next door is a Menards.

Around here, Cub and Holiday have an agreement. For every $100 you spend at Cub, you get 10 cents/gallon off at Holiday. I don't drive much, so I've usually racked up a 30-40 cent discount by the time I need a fill again. And Holiday's pump-price is the same as all the other stations in the area.

LDUBS said:
I went to Costco this morning to fill up the truck. There was a place about 3 miles closer to me that would have cost 30 cents/gallon more. I ended up with about 17 gallons, so saved about $5.00. The extra 6 miles and 15 minute round trip (suburban driving) was worth it to me. Made me think. I probably wouldn't do it for a 10 cent difference. 20 cents I might consider skipping the long line at Costco, but would feel kind of guilty I guess.

For diesel, Costco is at $3.29. I have to drive just over 9 miles to get there. World Gas is 3 miles closer at $3.59. The station closest to me is $5.29. Other places in my general area are over $4.50. I don't feel special. :x
[/quote

LDUBS??

Don't fret, you ARE special--everyone says so.

=D>

Kismet said:
LDUBS said:

[/quote

LDUBS??

Don't fret, you ARE special--everyone says so.

=D>

Oh man, I must have been having a senior moment. I said $3.29 at Costco. It was $4.29/gal. Wishful thinking I guess.

IRS says it costs 56 cents per mile to operate a vehicle including gas, repairs, initial purchase, etc. They haven't updated that figure in years and with gas and car prices being what they are now, I bet it's close to 75 cents per mile.

If 75 cents is pretty close to reality, you can drive almost 7 miles to save $5 and break even. Driving any further costs money.

I never shop around. I can't save 30 cents a gallon around here - maybe 5 or 6 cents difference between gas stations. Not worth it for 5 or 6 cents.

maintenanceguy said:
IRS says it costs 56 cents per mile to operate a vehicle including gas, repairs, initial purchase, etc. They haven't updated that figure in years and with gas and car prices being what they are now, I bet it's close to 75 cents per mile.

If 75 cents is pretty close to reality, you can drive almost 7 miles to save $5 and break even. Driving any further costs money.

I never shop around. I can't save 30 cents a gallon around here - maybe 5 or 6 cents difference between gas stations. Not worth it for 5 or 6 cents.

I think you point out the best way to look at this. Because I'm frequently pulling the boat or travel trailer I use the accelerated maintenance schedule which would tend to increase the per mile cost. Using either the IRS allowance of 56 cents or your estimate of 75 cents, I'm better off driving the extra miles to the Costco.

I have no idea why we have such wide variations in prices (diesel in my case). Looking at the two gaso stations nearest me, which are across the street from each other, Shell charges $5.29/gallon and Valero charges $4.85/gallon. I think there is a similar difference for regular unleaded. And yet I see folks gassing up at the Shell. Maybe They light cigars with $10 bills -- IDK.

I needed gas for my van yesterday the station closest to me was $3.39 for regular the Woodmans station 5 miles away was $2.94 a gallon. A difference of .45 cents multiply that by the 18 gallons I saved $8.10. Thats about 50 extra miles.

I paid $5.65/gal (diesel) yesterday. That was the cheapest among the stations in my area. Our nearest station (Shell) is at $6.29. My best option used to be our local Costco. They no longer offer diesel.

I know high fuel prices are not unique to my area. I think it is going to get worse before it gets better. I feel for hard working folk who have to commute for work.

we knew it was coming. just not this bad and this fast. remember in 70's waiting in line to get rationed gas? history repeats.

Breaking ground now to get vegetables in the ground mid April. Trying to save tractor time, and maximize fuel with multiple projects at once. Prices going up on commodities, but You have to have good weather to produce them.

Looks like we should have learned our lesson the first time!
I'm watching fuel oil prices here in the NE rise at a fast pace, prepay in the fall was $2.549, a few days ago it jumped from $4.599 to $4.899, and today it is $5.299, add 10-15c to that for our guys in town. Between the current cost of gasoline/diesel fuel and heating oil in the Northern states, plus the price increases on almost everything, I would have to think that there are more and more people who can't make ends meet and have to sacrifice on some basic needs.

overboard said:
Looks like we should have learned our lesson the first time!
I'm watching fuel oil prices here in the NE rise at a fast pace, prepay in the fall was $2.549, a few days ago it jumped from $4.599 to $4.899, and today it is $5.299, add 10-15c to that for our guys in town. Between the current cost of gasoline/diesel fuel and heating oil in the Northern states, plus the price increases on almost everything, I would have to think that there are more and more people who can't make ends meet and have to sacrifice on some basic needs.

little old ladies eating cat food is not an option this year, as the pet food section at the stores is empty. with hunger comes crime. when the commies have completed their mission, how many of us will be left?

Well, diesel in my area is now available for $5.99/gal at some stations. It has been above $6 for a long time. Most I had to pay was $7.39. Costco used to have the best price, but the only one within viable drive distance stopped carrying diesel.

But with all that state gaso tax I pay at the pump, it is good to see our roads in such great shape (NOT). :LOL2:

Latest posts