How many of you like night fishing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

Reaction score
Growing up in Florida, sometimes fishing in the daytime wasn’t so great, and you got roasted. So we would go to Port Canaveral and fish at night, when my parents would allow it. The fishing was always, exceptional.

As I got older, we would go dock- hopping at night. Again almost always, exceptional fishing.

I have carried this into my adult life. Especially in saltwater, night fishing can be just ridiculous.

As an adult, we used to go into Delaware bay and have incredibly huge schools of fish surround us, and have had the same thing in the Chesapeake Bay.

Now, sadly, I am landlocked about 100 miles away from salt. I pretty much hate it, but I’m learning to adept.

One day I had the kids out fishing and it was so good that we decided to stay after dark. I put out a couple of LED lights, and soon we were surrounded by herring, threadfin shad, minnows, some kind of shrimp-like crustaceans and many other fish.

It was so amazing that fishing was almost secondary. My nephews caught and caught, but I was more interested in watching the fish than catching.

Anyway, how many of you enjoy fishing at night?

Growing up in Florida, sometimes fishing in the daytime wasn’t so great, and you got roasted. So we would go to Port Canaveral and fish at night, when my parents would allow it. The fishing was always, exceptional.

As I got older, we would go dock- hopping at night. Again almost always, exceptional fishing.

I have carried this into my adult life. Especially in saltwater, night fishing can be just ridiculous.

As an adult, we used to go into Delaware bay and have incredibly huge schools of fish surround us, and have had the same thing in the Chesapeake Bay.

Now, sadly, I am landlocked about 100 miles away from salt. I pretty much hate it, but I’m learning to adept.

One day I had the kids out fishing and it was so good that we decided to stay after dark. I put out a couple of LED lights, and soon we were surrounded by herring, threadfin shad, minnows, some kind of shrimp-like crustaceans and many other fish.

It was so amazing that fishing was almost secondary. My nephews caught and caught, but I was more interested in watching the fish than catching.

Anyway, how many of you enjoy fishing at night?

Summertime, bass fish after dark. Also, channel cat fishing on the Susky. Nightime navigation is always "fun" where we fish.

I fish almost exclusively at night for Walleye's in the spring and fall, years ago we fished for Brown Trout at night, and night fishing for LM bass and stripers can be very productive.
I wouldn't say I exactly enjoy it, especially at 2-3-4 in the morning, but when you're catching fish it at least makes it tolerable and I keep doing it!

I fished for catfish at night although I haven't been in a while. It would be less boaters to work around. One time I went out and after anchoring and setting up then shining my light across the water there were a thousand eyes. I was in an alligator nursery with a lot of baby alligators around. Alligator eyes reflect a golden color. That meant there was a mama or two around somewhere. Didn't bother me too much. I kept fishing.

My early to bed, early to rise sleep schedule is so ingrained that it's hard for me to stay up late, and dragging *** the next day is seldom worth a few hours of fun the night before.

I have been up late snagging for spoonbill or catfishing, which can be a blast.

This time of year when walleyes are spawning I will go late in the afternoon and stay an hour or two after dark, but that's about it. Typically the best action is immediately after sunset and then again a few hours later.

I have a buddy that will routinely put in at dusk and fish all night. He works second shift so that fits his schedule pretty well.

The 16/52 I’m rebuilding is getting extra lights and at least one submersible big green. Basically rigged out for drift fishing and night fishing. I’m like yall here in texas getting blistered in the day. I’m tapping 60 myself and want to fish all I can while I can. I try to take someone with me so the wife don’t worry while I’m gone. Just small lakes for me around here and weather is easy to track with modern technology now. I’ve actually only been night fishing a few times but it was fun with family and friends. I figured it to be a little more hazardous is why I’m having a clear floor and deck of trip hazards and enough led lighting to see my way around in the entire boat and head lamps on Incase the leds fail. Rechargeable hand held to help with navigating.Later will have one mounted on the bow to only turn on for a second checking my bearings. Never use on an on coming boat you’ll blind them. I also have a led flood/spot light on both corners of the transom facing forward that came on the boat. I’ve used in the past for loading and unloading. But I’m excited to see how night fishing goes in the summer. The lake I fish the most is the farthest (an hour from the house) good for catfish from channel to big blues and flat heads. And has several good crappie spots, sand bass and even stripers.

Last edited:
Enjoyed going for catfish at night for many years, but at 72 I fish mostly by myself, so going out at night is probably not a good idea. Sure wish I could though....
Airshot, I don’t know where you are sir but if it’s in Texas hit me up.

You, my friend, must have never gone, or at least not when it was good!

I have a place, where you catch nothing in the daytime, but at night, all the stripers are over 30" long, many over 40".

But even on the local lake, a submersible green light brings this:

The problem is not catching, it's keeping the smaller ones from grabbing your bait first.

I fish lake Java’s at nights several times during the typical year. It is always fascinating watching the progression from plankton, minnows, small fish then bigger ones. The symphonic dance is much like a tight flock of birds flying. It is always a treat and generally I catch several. I use an led green light bobbing just under the surface.

I fish lake Java’s at nights several times during the typical year. It is always fascinating watching the progression from plankton, minnows, small fish then bigger ones. The symphonic dance is much like a tight flock of birds flying. It is always a treat and generally I catch several. I use an led green light bobbing just under the surface.
Lake havasu. Fishing for stripers

Used to night fish for stripers out in the delta. Also catfish from the bank at night but that was kind of 90% campfire & beer and 10% fishing. I enjoyed it back then, but don't do it anymore. Same for camping. Good memories but the old body just isn't into it anymore. I still do get up pretty early to get a start on the fishing day.

I like it if the bugs/skeeters aint too bad.
We went out last year, and our timing way perfectly wrong. Some huge bug hatch on the river. Clouds and clouds of them. Turn on a white light for an instant, and you would be in the middle of a storm and didn't dare open your mouth. Also made for very bad fishing. Not one bite. Overall, it was good to see for the health of the river.

Latest posts