How old is your tin boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1956 Alumacraft 12ft RB with '56 Johnson 10hp--so, 61 years old

1959 Alumacraft 14ft F with '59 Johnson 10hp--58 years old

And, in my opinion, anyone who owns a boat can do any darned thing he or she wants to it.

Pogo's ole Boat.jpg

Kismet said:
1956 Alumacraft 12ft RB with '56 Johnson 10hp

1959 Alumacraft 14ft F with '59 Johnson 10hp

And, in my opinion, anyone who owns a boat can do any darned thing he or she wants to it.
Right on! Those darn purest always sticking their nose in someone else's tins lol!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

DaleH said:
I have a '79 Starcraft that is NO WAY the oldest here, but I must say ... I see more old Lonestars here and on the water. They must have used a really ductile 'tin' alloy, as I don't see a history of popping seams or degrading rivets with them, as I do on newer boats.

... so what drove Lonestar out of business :?: ?

I have a 1962 Lone Star Malibu

In 1965, Lone Star was acquired by Chrysler and became the Chrysler Boat Corporation, which continued production until 1979 when they closed the doors on their marine division. They chose to focus on their fiberglass boats (Lone star made both), but Chrysler did keep a few tin boats in their line-up (the Cruiseliner and a few runabouts). When they shuttered their marine division, I think they sold it to a few executives, but the new company chose to focus on sailboats and folded shortly afterwards.

Kismet said:
1956 Alumacraft 12ft RB with '56 Johnson 10hp

1959 Alumacraft 14ft F with '59 Johnson 10hp

It's everyone's right to be a chucklehead if they want to.

Don't be a chuckleheaded sawzall savant.

maxresdefault.jpg

00q0q_gjrWIv9WNHA_1200x900.jpg

Attachments

• 1951 Feather Craft DR chucklehead.jpg
    1951 Feather Craft DR chucklehead.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,806
Stumpalump said:
Older one's along with canoes were sucked up when scrap aluminum was high. People would buy boats for 1/2 of what it would scrap for with no intentions of using it for a boat. Theft was also a problem. Old tins sitting against garages or in yards would be carried off for quick cash. Perect boats especially canoes got cut up and scraped. Thank the Unions for running the price up and thank the Russians for flooding our markets with cheap aluminum and saving what was left of the boats. One of the reasons I despise you farktards that hack up these old boats into stupid carpet covered paricle board POS conversion wannabe bass boats. If you have a reasonable condition older tin then save it. They perform as good or better than the new stuff anyway. If you want a bass boat then buy one and stop hacking up the heirloom quality older boats that are left.

Wow bro, who pissed in your cornflakes?

Based on your logic, because it's old, you can't modify it? That's as stupid as telling guys they can't hotrod their "classic" cars. If guys are buying these boats cheaply, that tells me there isn't a lot of value to that "classic" boat. Thank god I live in America where I have the freedom to choose what I do with my own personal property. Turning the boat into what you want it to be is half the enjoyment of owning it. I think you picked the wrong forum to join if you don't like seeing older aluminum boats get modified.

And that's a pretty bold statement "They perform as good or better than the new stuff anyway." Sorry, but a bare bottom aluminum V-hull from the 60's or 70's isn't exactly a high quality rig. If they were truly better, that would be reflected in the open market selling prices. And not everyone making conversions is making it into a "bass boat." Some people just like having a flat floor and/or some storage space. Why do you think there are so many manufacturers of decked V-hull aluminum boats these days?

While I do agree with VinTin on the sawzall savants, you're failing to take into account that aluminum boats are much more efficient than fiberglass bass boats and offer a much lower overall ownership cost. Not everyone wants to pour money into the water to own a glitter rocket. In places like HP restricted and electric only lakes, I LAUGH at guys that use their big heavy fiberglass bass boats. Not to mention shallow and rocky areas as well. My buddy uses his "classic" decked 16' V-hull for fishing, crabbing, and pulling the kids on tubes. And guess what, it's comfortable for all those activities. But would it be just as good if he did all that in a bass boat? Nope, it would SUCK!

There's a lot of things that will eventually just disappear or only be a few left of. That's just a part of life and we have to deal with it. Eventually, the classic boats will become rare enough that their classic status will elevate the price enough to deem them too valuable to modify. Until that time, you should probably just direct your rage to something else, or at least on some other site because this isn't the right venue for it.

I have a 2003 Jetcraft that was made in Oregon. It is a welded boat, 19 feet with a windshield and good canvas. It is going up in value. Having a 4 stroke outboard is the best thing that has happened to me with boats in a long time.

1948? Alumacraft model B
I have since replaced the 3 hp with the 7.5 merc

1987 Crestliner Mirage
I have since replaced the 70 with a merc 35 tiller.

Both are "hack" jobs. The Crestliner used to be a walk-thru windshield w/ livewell and jump seats in the back. Now it's as open as possible. More decoys fit that way.

Attachments

• modelb.jpg
    modelb.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,607
  • crest.jpg
    crest.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,606
11years, still looking good.
1870 Triton Bay Sport
115 Mercury 4 stroke

11footStarcraft.jpg

I'm guessing here but it seems to be a late 50's Starcraft. 11', wood rails, remnants of a bow cap, and star embossed end caps with handles. Picked up free as an abandoned boat...we're fishing in it all the time now!

Mantrip2017.jpg

Stump, and BH...

Whether it's cars, guitars, boats, motorcycles or whatever there are going to people who are "modders" and purists. Modders generally get spanked on resale unless they find the golden buyer who wants it the way the modder made it. Even then the buyer who likes scads of chrome, or whatever rarely tells the owner and beats them down on price anyway :)

I have a 1986 Firebird I'm selling and so far the only interest I got was from guys that want to hack it up, I refused to sell it to them saying I had some sort of promise to sell to another guy for 48 hours. They have every right to hack, but not my car. Sure some hack can come and schmooze me into selling it than rip the rareish V6 with 5 speed out but...

To All,

Our family's oldest boat is a 14' StarCraft, that my late uncle won in a dice game at Ft Bragg, NC around the beginning of the Korean War.

It probably was made either just before or shortly after WWII. - NO serial number but it was made when StarCraft was primarily a maker of sheet metal fuel tanks & livestock watering tanks.

yours, satx

21077416_10154657231096793_4278355515919597111_n.jpgMy boat is a 1961 18 foot Acecraft. It was sold by Ace Hardware.
I upgraded the steering from the clothesline system. I added bilge pump, cigarette lighter, glove box, new lounge seats and pedestal seats. I plan on painting it this winter

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,473
BillPlayfoot said:
My boat is a 1961 18 foot Acecraft. It was sold by Ace Hardware.
I upgraded the steering from the clothesline system. I added bilge pump, cigarette lighter, glove box, new lounge seats and pedestal seats. I plan on painting it this winter

I had no idea Ace Hardware was ever in the boat business. That is the perfect size IMO. Roomy but not so large as to make it difficult to haul/launch. Looks like it is in great shape.

LDUBS said:
BillPlayfoot said:
View attachment 1My boat is a 1961 18 foot Acecraft. It was sold by Ace Hardware.

I had no idea Ace Hardware was ever in the boat business. That is the perfect size IMO. Roomy but not so large as to make it difficult to haul/launch. Looks like it is in great shape.

I can't find any info or pictures about the AceCraft boats.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,416