How to Repair Side Console Plastic Windshield

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fundseeker

Reaction score
I'm wondering what type of clear glue or other product to solidify the bottom edge of my 1989 plastic windshield that is hairline cracking/fracturing inside the black trim that encases it. I was thinking of using crazy glue so it would wick into the cracks but I don't imagine it is U/V resistant so wouldn't last long. The black channel trim that fits over this edge won't have much room for a thin fiberglass or other patch along that edge. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Glen in Ontario,

What is the year and model of your boat? There are a couple of guys that show up on Ebay doing windshields and if it's a factory console they might already have ones ready to go. I had one of the guys make a custom windshield along with the grab rail to fit my console and after giving him some measurements it came out great.
Lowe_1652_4.jpg

Lowe_1652_5,jpg.jpg

I'm wondering what type of clear glue or other product to solidify the bottom edge of my 1989 plastic windshield that is hairline cracking/fracturing inside the black trim that encases it. I was thinking of using crazy glue so it would wick into the cracks but I don't imagine it is U/V resistant so wouldn't last long. The black channel trim that fits over this edge won't have much room for a thin fiberglass or other patch along that edge. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Glen in Ontario,
Don't know if this would work for you, but could you use the crazy glue and then put a narrow strip of plastic to cover the site over the width of the shield? UV should not be able to penetrate, I think.

Best wishes

CA glue seems like a good choice because it will wick into the cracks like you say. Looks like the ones typically found at the hardware stores are UV resistant.

I recently repaired a bullseye on my windshield using a kit from Permatex. It actually used natural uv light to cure. Sadly, I don't think that kit would work for a crack like you describe.

Do you know what type of plastic your windshield is? There are specific solvents (Mek, methylene chloride) that will cause some thermoplastics to melt on contact. When the solvents dry the thermoplastic rehardens. In your application I suspect a drop of solvent on the crazed area could be enough to rebond the area. The only concern with this is some solvents will craze some thermoplastic’s so it’s best to do some tests to avoid wrecking your windshield.

CA glue seems like a good choice because it will wick into the cracks like you say. Looks like the ones typically found at the hardware stores are UV resistant.

I recently repaired a bullseye on my windshield using a kit from Permatex. It actually used natural uv light to cure. Sadly, I don't think that kit would work for a crack like you describe.

What is the year and model of your boat? There are a couple of guys that show up on Ebay doing windshields and if it's a factory console they might already have ones ready to go. I had one of the guys make a custom windshield along with the grab rail to fit my console and after giving him some measurements it came out great.
View attachment 112974

View attachment 112975

Attachments

• Misty River Boat For Sale 002.JPG
    Misty River Boat For Sale 002.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Misty River Boat For Sale 021.JPG
    Misty River Boat For Sale 021.JPG
    342.8 KB · Views: 0
If you decide to replace the windshield instead of repair it, there are several places that do that work for reasonable prices. Custom Mold & Tint in Arkansas comes to mind. I looked at their website again before I typed this and they publish that most of their windshields are between $120 and $160 plus shipping. They also carry hardware for windshields. Custom Mold & Tint Inc. - How to get a replacement windshield

CA glue might be a good option if you don't want to replace. They sell plexiglass solvent cement, and it will work, but the CA will be less conspicuous, and should hold for awhile. You can always replace if you don't like it.

By the way, that's a good looking hull.

Latest posts