How to temporarily fill this gap in my floor/hull seam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Reaction score
I finally have a full floor in my boat, which is great.

The problem is until I get the rod locker’s built I have this gap that will allow leaves, lures and wayward bait to fall under the floor.

The gap varies from 1/4” to 1” depending and I’m looking for ideas on what to use to fill it.

Thought about pipe foam and spray foam, but I can see problem with both .

Any ideas?

Disregard the vertical portion, it goes where the open area is at the bottom of the pic.

IMG_2332.jpeg

Last edited:
A good reason for having an easy to remove floor !! However, to answer your question, how about a rubber mat cut into strips that fit over those gaps?? I buy heavy rubber stall mats for horse stalls, they are cheap but long lasting, I cut them into what ever shape and size I need. Just based on your pic, a strip shaped to lay in that crack or sit on top of that crack might do the job....best I got for now !!

Temporarily I would just use something called "backer rod" which is what we use in commercial construction to fill joints or cracks before we caulk them to limit caulk waste. It's basically a roll of closed cell foam "tubing" that can come in almost any dimension. Stuff it in there until you get your boxes made.

My first thought was thicker pipe foam or a pool noodle, cut in strips and wedged down, basically like filler rod (as mentioned by @jethro) but cut to fit the “V” shape a bit better. What problem do you see with using pipe foam?

I think long term you will want some ventilation to prevent mold and mildew below the deck but for
temporary use, I’ll second the backer rod. I use the stuff for my log home. It gets stuffed between the logs prior to chinking. It’s cheap and readily available in bulk or by the foot. Search for “Permachink foam backer rod” and you will find it.

I'd probably use Great Stuff fill-foam. Quick, efficient, and easy to cut out later with any kind of knife.

Great Stuff expands like crazy and continues to do so for hours. Not a big fan of the stuff. It can actually cause damage when you put in a little bit and it expands way more than you'd have ever thought. Ask how I know....LOL. Plus it's a bit fragile and may not hold up for long.

How's this for a low tech solution: Getcha some good tape, I'm thinking clear packing tape and go to town on it! It's usually 2" wide so it would bridge a 1" gap. For extra strength go over it a few times to add thickness.

Temporarily I would just use something called "backer rod" which is what we use in commercial construction to fill joints or cracks before we caulk them to limit caulk waste. It's basically a roll of closed cell foam "tubing" that can come in almost any dimension. Stuff it in there until you get your boxes made.
How's this for a low tech solution: Getcha some good tape, I'm thinking clear packing tape and go to town on it! It's usually 2" wide so it would bridge a 1" gap. For extra strength go over it a few times to add thickness.

If temporary, I think I would combine these two ideas. Stuff it with backer rod then run a length of duct or packing tape. Maybe even gaffers tape (I've never used it but have been called an old "gaffer" :)).

X2 on the backer rod. Make sure you get closed cell. Tap the sides. Then if you even wanted to run a bead of sealer it will only adhere to the 2 sides and not the backer rod area. When you’re ready peel off the sealer.

I like the backer rod suggestion; that's what I immediately thought of when I first read the post. Backer rod is what I call "redneck cheap", easy and quick to put in, and just as easy and quick to pull back out.

I wouldn't use anything like that spray foam. That stuff makes an ungodly mess and you said this is just temporary until the rod locker is built.

Now, if you put in the backer rod and don't get the rod locker built, then over time that backer rod will come loose and you'll be fussin' with it. Best laid plans, and all that....

Having used backer rod for all sorts of stuff, I want to stress that if there is a void underneath it won't stay in place. I've had to use a TON of that stuff before to fill up some "bottomless" gaps. Sometimes if you can get it stabilized you can put a bunch of caulk on top and that will keep it in place, but really it's the caulk doing the heavy lifting. If you had a mind to once jammed in place you could caulk over the whole thing, but what an ugly mess you're going to end up with. Which if you want to remove later will be a pain in the hiney. I say tape it up and be done. Take you 10 mins and cost you 10 bucks.

Latest posts