Hull Design Consideration for 14' Utility Boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My floor varies from 8” at the stern to over 12” near the bow and the only issues we have is my wife will someday fall out when I change direction with the trolling motor.

She insists on standing sometimes and there just is not enough room for her to stumble much before making contact to the hull with her foot.

I tell her about this but whatever, she can swim.

These floor heights may at first sound like it would make the hull unstable when not moving, but due to the shape of the hull you really can only go so far to one side when standing.

Underway I’m sure the section of hull where her seat is mounted is completely out of the water with her seat being 2-2.5’ above the waters surface. May even be 3’ come to think of it.
Ohhhh man, I can see it now. Here's hoping she doesn't take said swim.

You kayak guys are always feeling the slightest roll & correcting for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to adjust to a slower rolling motion. It will not flip over and require a underwater escape. 👍

Keep the floor as low as possible, on my 14' tinnie, mine was only a few inches off the keel, in the back, only the front near the V was 12" or so deep and I put my anchor locker there. I also had a swivel seat attached tovthe tank seat in the boat, never high enough to be uncomfortable, tall pedal seats are not a good idea in a small tinnie. You only stand when it is calm !!

All boats should have a bilge pump!!! One never knows..
Thanks for sharing your experience- good insight! Sounds like the Lund C-14 is similar to the mirror craft.

My plan is to treat the boat like a kayak by staying seated especially if there's some roughness coming my way, like you stated. Additionally, going to keep centered and limit how much my weight moves from the centerline. Your post is encouraging me to invest in a bilge pump.

I have a 1972 Mirrocraft with a Johnson 15 hp electric start that I have had for 5 -6 years. I took the bench seats out and put in a floor and pedestal seating for 3. Like to keep the floor a little lower. Didn't put in a deck. Battery up front which levels it off very nicely when I am by myself. I am 71 and feel very comfortable in it. Can be a bit tippy when my son-in-law decides to lean way over the boat for no good reason. :) I fish in Kansas now, so I watch the wind pretty closely, but it is really quite stable. It has been a really great boat for me.

Attachments

• 20180516_165150.jpg
    20180516_165150.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 9
You kayak guys are always feeling the slightest roll & correcting for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to adjust to a slower rolling motion. It will not flip over and require a underwater escape. 👍
You raise a good point! I appreciate it

Keep the floor as low as possible, on my 14' tinnie, mine was only a few inches off the keel, in the back, only the front near the V was 12" or so deep and I put my anchor locker there. I also had a swivel seat attached tovthe tank seat in the boat, never high enough to be uncomfortable, tall pedal seats are not a good idea in a small tinnie. You only stand when it is

I have a 1972 Mirrocraft with a Johnson 15 hp electric start that I have had for 5 -6 years. I took the bench seats out and put in a floor and pedestal seating for 3. Like to keep the floor a little lower. Didn't put in a deck. Battery up front which levels it off very nicely when I am by myself. I am 71 and feel very comfortable in it. Can be a bit tippy when my son-in-law decides to lean way over the boat for no good reason. :) I fish in Kansas now, so I watch the wind pretty closely, but it is really quite stable. It has been a really great boat for me.
Nice setup! I'm still torn about removing any of the bench seats. I would like to remove the center seat and add a pedestal forward of the rear bench seat. I would use an extension handle on the tiller. I've heard conflicting thoughts concerning the hull flexing once the seats are removed because your taking away a support structure. I see you have installed metal braces midship that connect the floor and the side of the hull. Great idea 💡

You can create strength for the sides by making storage pods along the sides, can be used for rod storage or ???
Look at other boats of similiar layouts to get ideas !

I'm old and clumsy. I had a Klamath Advantage 15' boat with 74" beam (Mod-V). It was very stable. I don't mean I would step on the gunnels, but I was comfortable moving around without losing balance. Mine had split seats, floorboards, and a side console. Came in at 340# without motor. Scratch the floor and console and it weighs 250#. I guess the point is a little extra length and width might make a difference.

But, as others have said and I think you agree, give your current boat a try before making any changes. Maybe even ask some guys at the local lake if you can step into their hard chine boats. Might not be as big a difference as you fear.

I had an old Sears 14’ that was pretty sturdy. But there were times my old self would stumble and it would take a bit to stop the object I had put in motion. Lol That being said I finally parked it and found a 1983 16/52 that fit my budget but I’m rebuilding it a little at a time. I put the Sears boat up for sale figuring someone could use it in there pond. A gentleman contacted me all excited and even gave me my asking price.
Well 6 months later he pulled up with the thing completely dolled up and rigged out. Awesome paint job he said he did with rattle cans. Even had shark teeth on front of the boat. He had added a flooring set up and a console in front of where a sit to drive the tiller steer. That floor really made the boat steady. I fishes Canyon lake here in Texas and takes 2 or 3 people out. He said the only time he got a little nervous is when he dec to go check out the dam. He got into some honest to goodness big water with big swells. He was bobbin up and down like a cork. He said the boat never once tried to tip. He was doing some serious navigating through it though.
I still get text from him thanking me for selling him that boat he loves it.
I wanted it back. Lol
Take your time and pick a nice day. Go solo the first time so somebody moving around doesn’t make you nervous and I bet after a while you’ll be doing like the rest of us and having fun fixing it up the way you want it. I plan on getting mine wet next weekend if weather permits me finishing what I’m currently working on. I’m completely re wiring adding switches and fuse block but the problem is I keep finder more stuff to add while I’m in the process. New fish finder, lights etc. I’ll take a break and use it for a while then next is a rod rack for drift fishing. Once you get started it seems like there’s always a new idea. At least with me.
Welcome to the forum and one of my long winded post. Lol The people here are good folks and glad to share their knowledge. I have learned a lot from them on my project.
Enjoy your boat, get some seat time them just sit somewhere and fish a little you and that boat may become friends who knows.

Nice setup! I'm still torn about removing any of the bench seats. I would like to remove the center seat and add a pedestal forward of the rear bench seat. I would use an extension handle on the tiller. I've heard conflicting thoughts concerning the hull flexing once the seats are removed because your taking away a support structure. I see you have installed metal braces midship that connect the floor and the side of the hull. Great idea 💡
I completely gutted my hull and used the boast with no seats, basically sitting on a bucket and it really didn't flex much at all.

The strength is in the top rail and the curve of the hull working together.

You might be able to just cut a center portion of the bench seats and leave the sides for support. On an old tinnie years back the bench seats were filled with foam and went almost down to the floor. I just made a cut thru about 2-3' wide down to be level with the floor I added. Could easily walk thru, ( centered) yet retained the structure support at each end of the original seat...lots of options here, pics can help us give you more ideas !!

You might be able to just cut a center portion of the bench seats and leave the sides for support. On an old tinnie years back the bench seats were filled with foam and went almost down to the floor. I just made a cut thru about 2-3' wide down to be level with the floor I added. Could easily walk thru, ( centered) yet retained the structure support at each end of the original seat...lots of options here, pics can help us give you more ideas !!

Good idear. My previous boat had a split center bench. It really does help with moving around in the boat.

Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 1.08.28 PM.png

This 16/52 I’m working on I removed the middle bench and I could have a dance with all the room. I also hallowed out the rear bench and made three comfortable padded seats with hinges and thats my storage/ house battery area. When the wife gets tired of fishing she has took a nap laying across those seats. Lol

I had an old Sears 14’ that was pretty sturdy. But there were times my old self would stumble and it would take a bit to stop the object I had put in motion. Lol That being said I finally parked it and found a 1983 16/52 that fit my budget but I’m rebuilding it a little at a time. I put the Sears boat up for sale figuring someone could use it in there pond. A gentleman contacted me all excited and even gave me my asking price.
Well 6 months later he pulled up with the thing completely dolled up and rigged out. Awesome paint job he said he did with rattle cans. Even had shark teeth on front of the boat. He had added a flooring set up and a console in front of where a sit to drive the tiller steer. That floor really made the boat steady. I fishes Canyon lake here in Texas and takes 2 or 3 people out. He said the only time he got a little nervous is when he dec to go check out the dam. He got into some honest to goodness big water with big swells. He was bobbin up and down like a cork. He said the boat never once tried to tip. He was doing some serious navigating through it though.
I still get text from him thanking me for selling him that boat he loves it.
I wanted it back. Lol
Take your time and pick a nice day. Go solo the first time so somebody moving around doesn’t make you nervous and I bet after a while you’ll be doing like the rest of us and having fun fixing it up the way you want it. I plan on getting mine wet next weekend if weather permits me finishing what I’m currently working on. I’m completely re wiring adding switches and fuse block but the problem is I keep finder more stuff to add while I’m in the process. New fish finder, lights etc. I’ll take a break and use it for a while then next is a rod rack for drift fishing. Once you get started it seems like there’s always a new idea. At least with me.
Welcome to the forum and one of my long winded post. Lol The people here are good folks and glad to share their knowledge. I have learned a lot from them on my project.
Enjoy your boat, get some seat time them just sit somewhere and fish a little you and that boat may become friends who knows.
Oh I remembered one thing he did to make it so stable. He has like 4 deep cycle batteries in it way overkill. But he has storage all the way down the center of the boat under the floor. The batteries and anchor etc. is all in that middle storage.

You're probably right - it's going to come down to seat time. I'm comfortable in kayaks and big boats, but have no experience with small tin boats.

I do worry about the short transom. I've seen splash guards thar can be purchased and mounted on the transom, so I may go that route
That might be a good idea if you have a 15" transom. The splash gards should be standard equipment on short transoms in my opinion. Not hard to make one if you cant buy one

Latest posts