hull to deck joint using frp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr T-bone

Reaction score
I'm building out an 18' aluminum hull catamaran. I am using a composite core material (it has 1708 over one side) for my decking. I need to know what adhesive will bond the frp panels to the aluminum framing. The framing currently has awlgrip 545 primer on it from when the interior of the hull was primed. Would thickened epoxy work for this or do I need to buy a cartridge adhesive. The thickened epoxy would be my choice if it would work. I'm also mechanically fastening the decking panels to the framing with through bolts. On the topside of the decking I'm putting 2 layers of csm (with poly resin) before epoxy primer and awlgrip paint with nonskid. I'd like to tab the decking in to the side of the hull with 1708 before painting to provide a water tight seal. I would use epoxy resin on this. Any thoughts on this, or if you can think of another way to waterproof this joint would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4423.jpeg
    IMG_4423.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 1
I used medium epoxy when I made up some frp and polystyrene foam board composite.
I am thinking that for this application you may want to use some 3M auto body panel adhesive.
It will never let go, and comes in a cartridge for easy application. Not especially cheap, but it is all business.
I used a steel wire wheel to scuff the frp board to improve adhesion when I used epoxy to glue it. I'd probably
recommend doing the same with the 3M auto panel adhesive.