Hurricane Ian

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumblejohn

Reaction score
Looks like those of us in Florida are in for a little rough weather. I spent most of the day battening down the hatches, and stowing loose objects in the yard.
Nothing new, I have lived here for over 70yrs and been through a dozen storms.
Prayers for my fellow Tin Boaters in the path of the storm, stay safe.

John

Actually I feel for the folks that have non trailerable boats. People have had time to prepar their homes or leave, but what do you do with your boat?? If your on a trailer, it can be pulled to a safe area, but what about those guys that have there boat moored and need a crane or lift to get it out ?? Not enough lifts or cranes to get them all out on short notice....glad I dont gave to pay their insurance bill !

airshot said:
Actually I feel for the folks that have non trailerable boats. People have had time to prepar their homes or leave, but what do you do with your boat?? If your on a trailer, it can be pulled to a safe area, but what about those guys that have there boat moored and need a crane or lift to get it out ?? Not enough lifts or cranes to get them all out on short notice....glad I dont gave to pay their insurance bill !

lots of boats on trailers get destroyed too. always huge freeway bottle necks from panicked last minute evacuees. when u live in the south, and want to own a big boat, you understand you gotta pay the insurance company a huge premium and you are gonna take a loss when the next storm hits.

poorthang said:
airshot said:

lots of boats on trailers get destroyed too. always huge freeway bottle necks from panicked last minute evacuees. when u live in the south, and want to own a big boat, you understand you gotta pay the insurance company a huge premium and you are gonna take a loss when the next storm hits.
Not a pleasant thought in my opinion...worked to hard to get my boat setup the way I want it....

airshot said:
poorthang said:
airshot said:

Not a pleasant thought in my opinion...worked to hard to get my boat setup the way I want it....

yep, its a different mentality. not long ago, after a storm, we(im from louisiana) would find all sorts of boats, propane tanks, caskets, that floated off into the swamps and woods. the cities would have greatest density of caskets. but, to your question, if you have a custom car, bike, plane, boat, etc:, you learn to take it somewhere safe at the beginning of storm season. look at the losees in the underground parking in houston. who would be so stupid as to keep a valuable vehicle BELOW sea level?

poorthang said:
yep, its a different mentality./------------------/who would be so stupid as to keep a valuable vehicle BELOW sea level?

The same mentality that would build New Orleans below sea level. :shock: :? #-o

Roger

airshot said:
Not enough lifts or cranes to get them all out on short notice....glad I dont gave to pay their insurance bill !
But ... if you do buy boat insurance in effect you do, as your policy premium co$t reflects whatever payouts have been made ...

Before and After photos of the lighthouse area of Sanibel Island, FL. The highest point on that island was 3' above sea level and it registered 12' UNDER water!

….
959F6A53-8BFD-4155-9126-851A2FA62D5F.png

….

2FF2AC35-CA88-452F-AC4E-7EE9BEC793DE.png

GTS225 said:
poorthang said:
yep, its a different mentality./------------------/who would be so stupid as to keep a valuable vehicle BELOW sea level?

The same mentality that would build New Orleans below sea level. :shock: :? #-o

Roger

yep, thats always good for a joke. build city 4 foot below sea level. fill with _____________________________ , wait for hurricane.

Except I don't truly consider it a joke. It's a very sad statement on the thought processes of those responsible.
I actually didn't know New Orleans was in that situation until after Katrina. In retrospect, it really was incredibly stupid to do such a thing.

Roger

=D> After they do stupid things like that, then the gov't steps in to "protect" them. They built walls around the area which created a hugh bowl for the water to collect during the hurricane. Then the gov't rebuilds at taxpayer expense, so it can happen all over again !!!

Rebuilding in flood zones have been going on for decades and it wont stop as long as the taxpayer keeps footing the bill. Like most everything in todays society, people dont learn anything when gov't keeps bailing people out with free handouts. Wasnt that far back when gov't would only offer low cost loans so folks had some equity in their rebuild, but nowadays it has become free handouts. Very sad situation no matter what the case might be!!!

airshot said:
Rebuilding in flood zones have been going on for decades and it wont stop as long as the taxpayer keeps footing the bill. Like most everything in todays society, people dont learn anything when gov't keeps bailing people out with free handouts. Wasnt that far back when gov't would only offer low cost loans so folks had some equity in their rebuild, but nowadays it has become free handouts. Very sad situation no matter what the case might be!!!

AMEN!!!!!!!

There is some skin in the game. Folks with Fed backed mortgages or who have received assistance in the past and are in a risky flood zone are required to purchase flood insurance. Folks who live in places with active flood mitigation programs can receive a discount on their flood insurance premiums, so there is a loss control incentive. In my opinion, folks who live in flood zone A should be required to purchase flood insurance to qualify for assistance. I'm not opposed to the Feds stepping in when natural disasters happen. If people can't rebuild in flood plains, do we also say folks can't build in windstorm/tornado areas, hurricane zones, drought prone ares, EQ areas, mudslide or wildfire areas? That would pretty much eliminate a lot of areas. In my state, I don't think the gov't does enough following disasters. My opinion is the billions spent on boondoggles should be going to help those folks instead.

My two cents.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan, the St.Johns river is still above flood stage in central Florida.
That means all of the boat ramps in Seminole, Volusia, and Lake counties are closed. Doesn't look like I'll be on the river anytime soon.

Rumblejohn said:
In the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan, the St.Johns river is still above flood stage in central Florida.
That means all of the boat ramps in Seminole, Volusia, and Lake counties are closed. Doesn't look like I'll be on the river anytime soon.

when flooded, we would just launch in the highways. caught lots of bass on TOP of bridges and in living rooms casting into windows.

I live in a tornado area, your insurance requires a high deductable for wind damage. Flood plains are much different as once an area floods, It normally continues to flood. Where tornadoes rarely hit the same place twice. I have no issue with giving folks low interest loans to rebuild, even in flood prone areas, but we cant keep doing that every few years. At some point it becomes a throw money after money that doesnt get you anywhere. I can tell you hurricane ins is expensive, my parents lived in Florida for ten years, then finally moved to a lower cost of living area due to ins costs !! We need to consider the rule of not feeding the bears....once you start feeding them, they will depend on it and wont fend for themselves !!

I think all communities that are in flood plains should be required to participate in the NFIP and the Community Rating System, and folks who live in the flood plain should be required to purchase flood insurance coverage. Problem with flood insurance is it is hard to spread the risk because only folks who live in flood prone areas will purchase flood insurance. Premiums collected are not likely to cover loss following a major catastrophe. I know the problem from an insurance standpoint. I just don't have a good solution beyond pushing risk management practices that will reduce loss.

Latest posts