I really didn’t need this today.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Reaction score
Been having issues with the power cable for my helix7 corroding but cleaning it with DeOxit was working out ok until I came out and found this.

E7B8CF8D-3114-4FED-A125-A6DF63FD3AD4.jpeg

AA34F475-1066-49E6-81BB-1AEFD3BA3106.jpeg

E4C7334B-FC14-4491-B7AA-D3A47C05919D.jpeg

It wound up being submerged for a few days in rainwater with power going to it. I guess I knocked it into the bottom of the boat the other day working on the floor.

Need this like a hole in the head.

If you haven't already, check the connector on the Helix. The pin might have broken off in the connector.

FuzzyGrub said:
If you haven't already, check the connector on the Helix. The pin might have broken off in the connector.

With the amount of green around…

The green is what caught my eye from across the yard and given the amount of corrosion I’ve had this year I think it’s time for a battery switch.

Just odd that this would happen in pure rainwater, boat never goes anywhere near salt. I’m thinking over the last three years I’ve had it(the helix) this has been slowly eroding the gold plating with pitting, and it finally exposed enough of the pin material to just eat it whole in a couple days.

Should have the replacement cord today.

I agree, very unusual for freshwater. I have had rainwater sitting in my power connector, when forgetting to put the cover on the tilt/swivel mounts. I haven't had corrosion, but have had bad connection to the female pins. Had to compress them a little

Due to the green color the plating on the pin is probably brass or copper, gold will not turn green. I use DOW 111 valve lubricant for my dielectric grease. It is a very heavy silicone grease that doesnt wash off. I also use it inside my heat shrink tubes, when they collapse the excess is forced out, wipe that off and it will stay waterproof for years. Hope you get it fixed up, badvtime of year to have issues like that....the fish are bittin !!!

airshot said:
Due to the green color the plating on the pin is probably brass or copper, gold will not turn green. I use DOW 111 valve lubricant for my dielectric grease. It is a very heavy silicone grease that doesnt wash off. I also use it inside my heat shrink tubes, when they collapse the excess is forced out, wipe that off and it will stay waterproof for years. Hope you get it fixed up, badvtime of year to have issues like that....the fish are bittin !!!

The green is not the gold, but the copper underneath.

In any case, things get stranger.

I replaced the power pig tail and still didn’t have power to the head unit. Got out the meeter and had power at the battery(13.4v) but nothing at the plug end.

I had forgot there was a fuse in line and was shocked to find the 5A fuse blown!

At this point I have everything working again but I’m confused as all get out as to what occurred here.

Latest posts