Ideas for housing fuse bar and switch panel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macintosh

Reaction score
Doing a little wiring in a bare 16’ rowboat—no decks, no floor, etc. Nav lights, a few small interior lights, bilge pump, 12v lighter socket, and thats it. My question is, what are your ideas for where to house fuses and switch panel? Ideas welcomed, example photos highly encouraged and appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Boat pic so you can see layout.
5F368C4C-0FBC-4722-A5F4-B946AC7B12B1.jpeg

My boat is a 1979 Lund S-14. Here's how I've configured mine; maybe you can find some things you want to do with yours.

Boat original configuration, as pictured in the Lund Catalog for 1979:

Original Boat Config.png

I put my batteries in the middle bench, with the electrical "panel" right there in front of where I sit while on the tiller.

Pic of the boat's current configuration looking toward the tiller. I have flat decks and a casting deck up front. The ply benches are original to the boat, though I have modified them to provide hatches.

Boat decks as is.jpg

The battery compartment. I have a starting battery hooked direct to the outboard. The wiring for that runs from the outboard, under the aft bench, under the deck and into the battery compartment. The accessory battery is a 100AH LiFePO4 battery. It powers the trolling motor, two fish finders, bilge pump, and nav lights. The batteries sit in trays on a plywood platform that is secured to the bulkheads of the bench seat.

Boat battery compartment.jpg

The electrical "panel" and two bank onboard charger are attached to the aft bulkhead of the middle bench. There are two thermal overload protectors. One is dedicated to the trolling motor, the other supports the fuse block. The fuse block can support six separate circuits; five are in use.

Boat electrical panel.jpg

When I first got the boat, the fuse block and thermal protection were mounted behind the helm position, and it was very awkward to see, unless I got up turned around to see it or reach it. I want all of that stuff right there in front of me when I'm on the tiller. So I reconfigured the boat when I decided to replace the wonky decks last year.

Anyway, that's the way I did it. I'd like to see what you decide to do for your boat.

This is how I wired up mine, bilge pump and anchor / navigation lights wiring inside conduit; with small junction box. The fuse panel inside a 4 gang box " waterproof ". The switch panel attached to rear of middle bench, powered by a 65ah solar battery, installed inside middle bench with hatch. The complete build is posted on here somewhere, picture heavy.

Attachments

• 20200310_170755.jpg
    20200310_170755.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200310_153250.jpg
    20200310_153250.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200309_220056.jpg
    20200309_220056.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200318_204331.jpg
    20200318_204331.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
No pics for you, but what I did on my 1436 Alumacraft Jon.
I used a Plano plastic ammo box with the gasket in lid. I put a 6 circuit fuse block in the bottom, then cut out a sheet of aluminum in the shape of the ammo box high enough to have room for the hidden wiring, but low enough so the toggle switches cleared when the lid closed.
I really like it, even put in a real cigarette lighter.

Thanks all, this is good, keep it coming.
@moecarama I checked that thread out and did not see anything relevant...what did I miss? Also, I like your switch install--did you have to remove flotation for that, and if so did you replace it somewhere else, or? Did you do anyhting inside the seat, or just remove all the flotation? I'll hunt around and see if I can find your picture thread.
And, stupid question maybe, what's the best tool to cut into a metal seat like that, angle grinder with a cutting wheel?

I used a angle grinder, to cut the top of bench seat. The small accessory battery is housed inside and storage for rain gear, waterproof container for license, wallet keys. etc.
The fuse panel was hidden inside the 4 gang switch box, with waterproof cover.

I used a angle grinder, to cut the top of bench seat. The small accessory battery is housed inside and storage for rain gear, waterproof container for license, wallet keys. etc.
The fuse panel was hidden inside the 4 gang switch box, with waterproof cover.
did you have to remove flotation for the portion of this inside the seat? Just curious if you dealt with that at all and how you eneded up handing it, i.e. remove and forget about it, replace elsewhere, remove only a small amount, etc?
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Late to the party, but ...

For devices switched at the unit (like GPS, fishfinder or radio) or those permanently ‘hot’ whenever the battery switches is ON (like powered am/fm antenna & cig lighter accessory socket) I mount a fuse block into a deep, square Tupperware-type box that has an O-Ring seal.

Add rubber grommets through the sides and it looks professional and is so far totally waterproof. Works slick!

TIPs - Any holes thorugh the sides of a box should be positioned LOWER than the attachment point for those wires. That assures that any water dripping down an exposed wire that enters the box, cannot drip 'down' into the box by gravity. Also always form a 'drip loop', where the wire into the box from the outside, drops down a tad to forum a shallow 'U' prior to its entry point or to the attachment point (even done on large indoor wiring panels, inside a cabin (condenstation you know ...).

Theses are all requirements in USCG-approved marine wiring regs, but are good to know for the home hobbyist like us too!

Box.jpg

Last edited:
This is how I wired up mine, bilge pump and anchor / navigation lights wiring inside conduit; with small junction box. The fuse panel inside a 4 gang box " waterproof ". The switch panel attached to rear of middle bench, powered by a 65ah solar battery, installed inside middle bench with hatch. The complete build is posted on here somewhere, picture heavy.
The vent in the bench seat is for the batteries?

Wiring in my recently acquired boat is a train wreck, so I'll be following this closely. Dumb question maybe, but what is the minimum # of circuits needed? I'm planning to have running lights, dash lights, bilge pump, and a fish finder. Plus whatever is necessary for starting the motor and keeping the battery charged. Guess the choke is a separate circuit? Most everything "seems" to work, but the wiring is a nightmare. Am I missing anything important?

1 for lights, 1 for bilge, 1 for fishfinder. None needed for starter and starting battery, as the motor has a fuse already.

I recommend you add another fuse for a cigarette lighter type outlet and a double USB plug, as those are more and more useful.

Get a simple 6-circuit panel from Amazon, and that leaves you some play room for later.

Might be a dumb idea so I'll toss this out for the group for comment: Could a 6 circuit fuse block be mounted on the outside of the battery box? Maybe a USB plug too, but there might not be enough clearance?

Might be a dumb idea so I'll toss this out for the group for comment: Could a 6 circuit fuse block be mounted on the outside of the battery box? Maybe a USB plug too, but there might not be enough clearance?
There are some pretty nice smart battery boxes. Just would have to mae sure they meet your needs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317_130918_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_130918_Firefox.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1
Wiring in my recently acquired boat is a train wreck, so I'll be following this closely. Dumb question maybe, but what is the minimum # of circuits needed? I'm planning to have running lights, dash lights, bilge pump, and a fish finder. Plus whatever is necessary for starting the motor and keeping the battery charged. Guess the choke is a separate circuit? Most everything "seems" to work, but the wiring is a nightmare. Am I missing anything important?
Why is the wiring a nightmare? Can you follow the wires or can you not see them? Sounds like you have the right idea:) This is a screenshot that helped me out a lot. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510-220134_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510-220134_Pinterest.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3
I would not think that the fuse box should be on the OUTside of the battery box unless you are putting INTO something else. Everyone has a different way of doing things. This worked for me. I brought the wires into the back of the fuse/switch box and then brought the mains into/out of the battery box. I directly wired the trolling motors but I used a two point disconnect to simply pull them apart to unhook them from the battery. Good luck:) just be patient.

Attachments

• 20230728_132231.jpg
    20230728_132231.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240222_191416.jpg
    20240222_191416.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1
I would not think that the fuse box should be on the OUTside of the battery box unless you are putting INTO something else. Everyone has a different way of doing things. This worked for me. I brought the wires into the back of the fuse/switch box and then brought the mains into/out of the battery box. I directly wired the trolling motors but I used a two point disconnect to simply pull them apart to unhook them from the battery. Good luck:) just be patient.

That is a nice set up and looks like it keeps everything out of the way.

I like it. Very clean set up.

Latest posts