Ignition coil resistance on a 1985 Evinrude 70hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanT

Reaction score
I have a 1985 70hp Evinrude that has been difficult to start lately. Once started, it restarts without problem and will restart without problem for multiple days. If it sits for a couple of weeks, it's hard to start. It is getting gas and I've tried starting fluid in the carbs, but no change in starting. I've changed the plugs. The old plugs were still in gap and all looked good. I was checking the ignition coils and found all with about .204 ohms between the coil leads and zero ohms from ground to coil lead (non-spark plug lead). Here are my questions....

What is the correct ohms between the coil leads for part number 0582508? Is there a site that has reliable information on the correct ohms? I've searched and haven't found information I would trust.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Why not check available spark at cranking RPM first? The fact that it eventually starts and runs well tells me to look elsewhere.
You should have around 3/8" spark available. 1/4" minimum. Check that real quick and that will tell you if it is spark or fuel?
If you have a primer system pull your primer hoses at the carb fittings, Squeeze your bulb until tight then turn the key on and push the key switch in and check fuel delivery out of your primer lines. If good there then take one of your primer lines and check all three primer fittings by installing the line on the fitting and blowing through the line. All three should be difficult to blow through but not plugged up. Check your red manual valve on the pimer solenoid to see if it is cracked at this time as well. Replace as necessary.
If carbureted check the choke blades to see if they FULLY shut, not almost all the way! If not then make an adjustment and check again. They have to fully shut to pull enough fuel fast enough to supply the engine with fuel to start.

Last edited:
Why not check available spark at cranking RPM first? The fact that it eventually starts and runs well tells me to look elsewhere.
You should have around 3/8" spark available. 1/4" minimum. Check that real quick and that will tell you if it is spark or fuel?
If you have a primer system pull your primer hoses at the carb fittings, Squeeze your bulb until tight then turn the key on and push the key switch in and check fuel delivery out of your primer lines. If good there then take one of your primer lines and check all three primer fittings by installing the line on the fitting and blowing through the line. All three should be difficult to blow through but not plugged up. Check your red manual valve on the pimer solenoid to see if it is cracked at this time as well. Replace as necessary.
If carbureted check the choke blades to see if they FULLY shut, not almost all the way! If not then make an adjustment and check again. They have to fully shut to pull enough fuel fast enough to supply the engine with fuel to start.
Thanks, Pappy.

Latest posts