I'm a Grommet here. This is the boat that drew me in to the Forum. Found it up in Montana. I haven't been able to find out what it is.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to second the Nelson Boats link submitted by SaminMass.
Not many vintage companies made a hardtop, Crestliner and Aroline are the most common. This boat is neither. The split splash rail pattern is something I've not seen before.
If one googles the
"Nelson Aluminum Alloy Boat Co.
Heating Assurance, Inc." phrase, it will link to a Boat Design Net story about an "obscure runabout" that has an identical rivet pattern on the deck. (pic stolen from that story)
In my opinion, the Heating Assurance plate seals the deal.
Cool find!
1673270380041.png

Man, I wish that I had your attention to detail. Great catch on the rivet pattern! I just went out in the rain and pulled back the cover to check it out! --I could have just checked out my own photo, but, you know, senior citizens...

Man, I wish that I had your attention to detail. Great catch on the rivet pattern! I just went out in the rain and pulled back the cover to check it out! --I could have just checked out my own photo, but, you know, senior citizens...
To be fair, the vintage aluminum world is where I spend all my time. lol Much of the old stuff rarely has ID plates - and certainly no HIN info - so the construction and the hardware are often the only clues. This one was really wild, though. First Nelson boat I've ever seen. The panel construction and the splash rails are really unlike any other brand with which I've spent any time. ...also to be fair, having the Heating Assurance plate with an address makes it almost a certainty.

. I'm guessing that it's only about 5-600 lbs. The 1990 Yamaha 85 that it came with launches it almost out of the water at half throttle. The 35 should be about right.
Just food for thought, if your going out in the ocean with this I would rather have too much power vs just enough.

Going into an inlet with a following sea could result in a situation where the waves are travelling faster than your boat which could result in becoming swamped over the stern.

Too much power (No such thing) could get you out of this situation easily.

"Just enough" motor and you may wind up swimming.

.02c

Wolves, you are so right. I've sailed the Santa Barbara Channel and the channel islands for about 45 years, and sailboats can handle that scenario. Motor boats do need to outrun the waves (and they are huge right now). But I wouldn't take a potato chip like this on the ocean except on pretty glassy days, and if this motor runs well (my hope), it will be a 25-30 knot boat. Not much risk. Appreciate the perspective though--you are absolutely on. I have a couple of friends who (long ago) did get nailed. One didn't make it.

Talked to a buddy of mine who has two similar hulls.Your boat (may) be a Crestliner Voyager Patrol. The patrol has a shorter cabin than the normal Voyager. Also has the 2-piece windshield which is very cool and no roof vent. You can see boats similar to yours in Pinterest and possibly in Fiberglassics as well. There is an aluminum section in there too. Not 100% sure but this will give you more information to go on.

Last edited:
I believe the 3-piece splash rail design killed the Crestliner path.
In my experience, I've never encountered a Patrol -or any Voyager model- with that particular set of extrusions, though they did split the rails in two pieces for '55 and '56.

Ultimately, this Heating Assurance boat has the name plate, anyway.

Wow, this is odd. Thanks for the photo of the Crestliner Vin. It looks like the cabin is nearly identical to mine, just a few inches longer. Other than that, same rolled metal edges, same windshield, same handrails on top, same snaps for canvas, same sliding side windows, same horn on deck, everything that I can see. I looks like one company made the cabin and put them on different hulls. Another small coincidence, Troy who posted a Nelson earlier is in Montana. My wife and I drove up to Big Falls Montana from California to buy this one. Would really be stoked to know the history on this and any connection to the Crestliners.

If it is the Heating Assurance (Nelson)'there is aparently a thread in the aluminum section of the Fiberglassics forum that implies these boats were made for some of Boeing's "higher ups". Haven't seen the thread yet to verify but when I get the info I will pass it on for you. Same friend that thought it was a Crestliner looked it up and found it.

Thanks Pappy. I saw something to that effect a while back. If these were made for higher ups, they sure used thin metal making them. Maybe hoping the boss would sink... The boat does have the mfr. plate riveted right in. I may have put a picture of that when I first asked you all about this boat. If not, I will. I don't see how it couldn't be a Nelson given the few things in print about Heating Assurance and the company owner who gave the boat business his name. Really appreciate all the input--it makes me appreciate the boat more than I did at first.

Sorry to all. I thought that I attached this at the outset. Could have saved you some head-scratching...

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0
Quite alright! I love vintage aluminum boats but there are guys in here that are much more astute on the boats than I am. More of an engine guy usually but I really appreciate the 50's styling and love to see a well cared for example like the one you have found. Hate to see these pieces of history get chopped and modified. Wonder what the total production was before they exited the business.

Latest posts