I'm Back, Too

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
While not near as exciting as Jim's trip to Lake Baccarac, I thought I would share my recent trip.

Mrs Ldubs loves travel, as do I. After two+ years of covid we thought things had settled down enough by March and headed over to Madrid Spain. Early in the trip we both got hit with covid. I was feeling sick for 3 - 4 days and then bounced back pretty fast. Mrs Ldubs had very light symptoms for a day or two. Unlike Mrs Ldubs, while I felt fine I continued to test positive.

Spain basically treats covid like the flu if symptoms are mild, so we were able to be out and about. Problem is I needed a negative test to return to America. We literally rebooked our flight twice and I was still testing positive. We learned some folks, like me, continue to test positive even though they are no longer contagious. In those cases a document of recovery from a doctor is needed to say travel is OK. As soon as I met the time requirements we set up a tele-med conference with our Doc at home who confirmed my status and provided the release. Third time was a charm and with that document in hand we were able to fly back home this past Wednesday. All in all the covid delay added 7 days to our trip.

We knew the risk going in. I would say my lesson learned is I should have spent more time learning about reentry requirements and specifically about options if a negative test isn't happening. It sure would have removed a lot of the uncertainty we had about getting home.

Anyway, it wasn't the calamity travelers faced during the earlier stages of the pandemic and we are grateful we were not terribly sick. For whatever it is worth, in my case it was like harsh cold symptoms that hit hard and fast and fatigue. No fever. No nausea. Then bingo, symptoms were pretty much gone. Mrs Ldubs had a few sniffles then nothing. We are both fully vaccinated with a booster.

Crazy times for sure.

so, why do some people continue to show positive tests? is it because the tests are not accurate, or the vax is causing the virus to remain in the body?

The tests are not 100% accurate. It is possible to get a false positive but the odds are apparently lower than getting a false negative. Getting more than one false positive in a row is highly unlikely. And shoot, one day I literally had three tests just to make sure I had to change the flight again.

I am not sure of the science. Apparently some weakened or broken remnants of the virus can hang around for up to 90 days. It is not infectious but can trip the test. Happens with some people. CDC recognizes this can happen so set up the process to identify and address this so noncontagious folk were not shut in for up to 3 months.

The letter I have from the Doc is good for 90 days. After that I would need a negative test like everyone else. And apparently it is well known by folks who deal with this stuff. When I handed over the letter at the airport they didn't blink an eye.

BTW, this is a CDC rule and applicable to America. It might vary for other counties, but I think most have some version of it.

thanks for that info. too bad the news doesnt give us info from the cdc. here, i have seen on johns hopkins site that there were lots more testing positive than there were people. that explains it.

The tests are flawed and the more positive tests they get they keep falsely bump the numbers up to make things appear worse than they were. The governments of the world scammed us.

Now places like Ca. make laws that prohibit doctors from disagreeing with the government position, communist yet?

Folks that don't like California need to move here. The weather is excellent. Fishing is really good. And, if I can say this without violating the politics rule, your votes would be welcome.

LDUBS said:
Folks that don't like California need to move here. The weather is excellent. Fishing is really good. And, if I can say this without violating the politics rule, your votes would be welcome.

I don't know. Everything I buy warns me that the state of California has determined that is causes cancer. lol

KMixson said:
LDUBS said:

I don't know. Everything I buy warns me that the state of California has determined that is causes cancer. lol

Hey, if you can't ban it, might as well put a warning label on it. lol.

Those labels don’t mean what everyone thinks they do. There is a regularory body that enforces it. If you have a product that you sell/manufacture you can have it audited for compliance but it costs money. If your not willing to spend for that audit because maybe your sales volume in Ca doesn’t warrant the cost…you must put the warning label on it. Even if it’s not true. That’s why we laugh at some of them (Labels)

Those labels don’t mean what everyone thinks they do. There is a regularory body that enforces it. If you have a product that you sell/manufacture you can have it audited for compliance but it costs money. If your not willing to spend for that audit because maybe your sales volume in Ca doesn’t warrant the cost…you must put the warning label on it. Even if it’s not true. That’s why we laugh at some of them (Labels)

Shoot, from a risk management standpoint I would put the label on everything I sold. And, I think a lot of that is happening.

Latest posts