In the market for a new outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chbarnha

Reaction score
Well I’m pretty sure my 25hp mariner has but the big bullet.... so I’m looking for recommendations. I’m not really sure how big I can go on a 1648 Grumman.... any thoughts? Also not sure which brand I want to go with, looking hard at tihatsu but also open to other suggestions. Thanks for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really hard to go wrong, they're all pretty good. For new ones, you're limited to four strokes since Evinrude is out of business. Don't go any bigger than the boat is rated for on the capacity plate, I'd guess 35hp on that boat.

Mercs <30hp are made by Tohatsu. Suzuki and Yamaha are solid too.

It'll most likely boil down to what you can get locally for the best price.

Look at all the specs for all of the major motors. PT&T, weight, etc. Make your decision based on what you want/need.

I had a 25 HP four-stroke Merc (made by Tohatsu) on my previous boat. I thought it easy to maintain. I never had any issue with it but that is not based on long term usage. I only had it for a couple of years because I traded for a larger boat.

Yeah they are all pretty good nowadays.. shop for the best price and the best dealer service, although it's pretty rare to need warranty work.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

How happy were you with the way the boat performed with the 25 2stroke? If you were pleased, a 25 Yamaha would be a good replacement. Good power with less of a weight difference than Merc/Tohatsu or the Suzuki.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shoped around recently. To get a dealer to give You a response, is like pulling Hens teeth. Visited 3 dealers with a list of the following: Etec 150 or 175 to repower a boat, a 9.5 hp kicker 25" shaft to go with the repower, and a 25 hp or 20 hp to go on my newly purchased "tin boat" - never got a call. I knew the etec is no longer made, but figured someone had one in inventory in the U.S
Went to a dealer that I forgot was in my range, and ordered a Yamaha F-20, and a Yamaha F-150 .... neither will be in stock until early spring - but I'm on the list. F-20 $3,900 - 15" tiller, electric start.
The dealer and His reputation is as important as the purchase product & price.

Beware of the internet sales - too many crooks waiting to scam Ya.

As far as pricing - looks like list price is going to be the new norm for awhile. Nothing in the pipeline, and what is ordered is sold. Talked to a dealer about if the " Spring Boat Show" is going to be a bust. Can't sell what You don't have. He told me it cost almost
$20G to rent space, wash wax, staff, transport to and back ...... And what orders that are taken can not be filled until November 2022. Keep in mind we are in the Chesapeake Bay Region -

ktoelke54 said:
How happy were you with the way the boat performed with the 25 2stroke? If you were pleased, a 25 Yamaha would be a good replacement. Good power with less of a weight difference than Merc/Tohatsu or the Suzuki.

I own (currently) two yamaha 25hp motors. One is a 2018 EFI 4 stroke and the other a 2000 model 25hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke.

I don't even use the 2 stroke anymore. I had it out once this year to blow the cobwebs out, but it came off as soon as I got home and the 4 stroke went back on.

As far as speed there is no difference, they both run right at 32 mph. The 2 stroke is a little heavier and it's manual start only.

If you're looking at tiller steering look closely at the tiller handles. The Yamaha specifically; the tiller is made such that is ergonomically perfect. The grip is large and comfortable. The shifter is near the throttle grip, and the veriable trolling switch is also within easy reach. The tiller handle assembly is kind of angled toward the operator such that it just works, perfectly, for a tiller handle. It's length is fine for either mounting the motor on the transom, OR by mounting it to a kick up plate, jack plate, kick-and-jack, power tilt plate, or tilt-and-jack all of which offer about 6" of setback (give or take)--and the tiller will work just fine with the setback. If I had one complaint about the motor, is the idle shake--it goes away about 1400 rpm but from 750 to 1400-ish, it's there. It also gets a little better with use. I've got roughly 80 hours on mine and it's still there but a lot less than it was new.

Have run a 25 suzuki recently, didn't like the tiller handle position and length. It's just odd.

Tohatsu/merc/nissan all the same motor at the 25hp level, all are on the heavier side. Suzuki is a little heavy too. These are all 3 cylinder engines including the suzuki, and offer slightly smoother idle than Yamaha-at the expense of an odd tiller, a little gear noise with the tohatsu's, among other things.

ETEC is the heaviest 25hp 2 stroke ever made. And possibly the most expensive. Probably why they aren't popular, and could be one reason evinrude is gone. ETEC 25 electric start short manual tilt is about 40 lb heavier than a yamaha 4 stroke 25....and about $1000 more (locally, when they were available).

I'm very pleased with my 2020 Yamaha F25. Covid has really messed with prices but at the time I bought mine, it was much cheaper than the Mercury and Tohatsu 25s with similar features. My dealer kept a handful on hand at all times so I just called and told them I would come that afternoon and get one and they pulled it from the warehouse and had it ready and mounted it, filled with oil, and tested it by 5 pm that day.

You could go bigger on a 1648 but for me I chose 25hp due to primarily using it on local hp restricted lakes. 25hp is plenty for a couple medium sized guys and medium load of gear.

wmk0002 said:
I'm very pleased with my 2020 Yamaha F25. Covid has really messed with prices but at the time I bought mine, it was much cheaper than the Mercury and Tohatsu 25s with similar features. My dealer kept a handful on hand at all times so I just called and told them I would come that afternoon and get one and they pulled it from the warehouse and had it ready and mounted it, filled with oil, and tested it by 5 pm that day.

You could go bigger on a 1648 but for me I chose 25hp due to primarily using it on local hp restricted lakes. 25hp is plenty for a couple medium sized guys and medium load of gear.

I see a ton of Yamaha outboards out on the lakes, including on guide boats. That probably happens for a good reason.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of today's 4-strokes. Personally, I have had experience with Mercs, a Yamaha, a Tohatsu, and even a Suzuki for a little while. The only one kind of relevant to the size you are looking at is a 15hp Tohatsu 4-stoke and that motor has been flawless. Get the electric start no matter what size you get (you will thank yourself for that decision on down the road) and I'd recommend power trim and tilt if you can swing it. Also, remember that the 25 and the 30 Tohatsu are the same motor with different "brains" and the 4-stokes will possibly run a slight bit slower than your old 2-stroke did, so you should take that into consideration as well.

jasper60103 said:
I was going to add my two cents worth, but it looks like we lost the O.P. [emoji3]

you may have lost the O.P But I have read it and found it all very helpful. called and found a new suzuki 25 horse in stock 45 miles from me. independent pop type place in business 40 years. went picked it up for my 1958ish richline model 15

Dazednconfused said:
jasper60103 said:
I was going to add my two cents worth, but it looks like we lost the O.P. [emoji3]

you may have lost the O.P But I have read it and found it all very helpful. called and found a new suzuki 25 horse in stock 45 miles from me. independent pop type place in business 40 years. went picked it up for my 1958ish richline model 15
Congrats. I have a Suzuki as well, 30hp. I think you will be pleased. Enjoy.

Nah you didn’t lose me, I’ve been working 12-16 hours 7 days a week. Just got off the phone with the local reputable tohatsu dealer.... 3800$ for a 25hp with trim/tilt, electric start... the whole nine yards. Now trying to decide whether to jump or not.

Dazednconfused said:
Wow. Heck yea I would. Trim tilt electric start and has one in stock. I’d jump. Good price. Good motor.
But should I jump to a 40 or not is the question.... he can have one of those by the end of November

We are seeing a lot of the Tohatsu 30 hp with tilt/trim on Feather Crafts in the TN area. At least six that I know of and everyone seems quite happy. One fellow is seeing 33 mph on a 58 Rocket. 31 mph on a Vagabond.

Latest posts