Installing a permanent fuel tank. How to?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
I currently have 4 6-gallon tanks on my pontoon boat, and I'd like to install a larger tank with a fuel sender.

I'm looking at something like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Gallon-Top-Feed-Aluminum-Fuel-Cell-Gas-Tank-Level-Sender-Cap-Black-Coated/362518788376

Couple questions -

This will fit under one of the bench seats. If I install air vents on each side of the seat, am I ok installing this under the seat?

I see it has 3 connections at the top. I think I only need one for the fuel hose, and then one for a vent. How do I vent it? Do I just install a small vent hose with a filter on the end? And then cap the 3rd connection?

Thanks!

Seriously?
Uh
This is one of those times when you should REALLY consider taking the boat to the dealer and having it done professionately and safely

Just my two cents

1960 yellowboat said:
Seriously?
Uh
This is one of those times when you should REALLY consider taking the boat to the dealer and having it done professionately and safely

Just my two cents

Yes, seriously.

What dealer? This is a 25 year old boat.

Not sure if you are new here, but plenty of people refurb and rebuild boats, which is why I asked.

Sounds like a good project. Suggest you read the USCG regulations on fuel tanks. google "boat builders guide"

It is 400+ pgs but they have a good index.

lugoismad said:
1960 yellowboat said:
Seriously?
Uh

Just my two cents

Yes, seriously.

What dealer? This is a 25 year old boat.

Not sure if you are new here, but plenty of people refurb and rebuild boats, which is why I asked.
What I meant was that putting in a permanent tank under a seat might be dangerous. Perhaps you could go to any boat dealer that sells pontoon boats and see how the tanks are mounted and where they are put.
No offense intended

Tanks on pontoon boats are typically deck-mounted at the stern in a compartment. I see no reason not to mount a tank under a seat, that's no worse than a 6-gallon portable tank pushed under a seat already, unless the tank is really tall, as then you have no room to affix fill and vent hoses to deck fittings (mounted in the seat).

New(er) boats have the EPA tanks and the vent line goes through a myriad of filters, fittings et al so the tank doesn't vent to the atmosphere. I think the only issue would be having the vent mounted high enough above the tank so fuel sloshing won't have fuel exit the vent inadvertently. Vent well, really well, allow for expansion and don't overfill it.

Instead, you might one to consider one of those bow-mounted 'V-shaped' fuel tanks that would fit in the V of the bow. It is a portable tank, so all set for fill & venting. If one isn't there already, add a 'seat' above it. Oh, and Moeller makes a low-profile 'portable' 12-gallon tank that could easily slide under a seat. That might be the 'fastest' install option.

And honestly, with how FAST fuel degrades nowadays with E10-based fuels (~30-days) you'd want to be using up whatever fuel you have on board.

Latest posts