Installing powerhead Mariner/Yamaha 40 hp 2-stroke. How much to re-assemble first?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAABologist

Reaction score
Hi, I am installing the powerhead on 1987 Mariner (Yamaha) 450 hp 2 cylinder 2-stroke. Here are my questions for the helpful pros who've done this so many times. Thanks in advance.

How much should I attach to the powerhead before placing it onto the platform of the leg of the motor? Is it best to bolt it in bare-bones or with the components already in place?
-Is it advised to attach stator, flywheel first?
-Should I attach the CDI unit and other components?
- Starter?
- Timing linkage?
- Carburetors and linkage?

(Most of the above was very easy to remove before taking the powerhead off, but I am wondering if anything is to be gained by putting it back together before lowering it onto the platform.)

GASKET-
I have read that some folks are fine using hi-temp RTV, others feel a gasket is necessary.
I was planning on using only a bead of black hi-temp RTV.

I am really just looking for pointers on making this simple job easier and better, thanks.

Gasket for sure.

As far as how much to bolt on before installation, that would depend on what method I had to lift it.

Hard points and an engine hoist or other mechanical means? As much as I could possibly mount to it.

Putting it on by hand id want it as stripped as possible for a variety of reason’s.

If someone has a diagram or can check their old mariner 40, I sure would appreciate it.

Where do the leads from the choke solenoid go???!!?

I have everything back together with no trouble at all. But for the life of me I can't see where the leads from the choke solenoid go. This sits above the top carburetor and has two leads. I just can't see any loose wires to connect them to!

I probably am just not seeing it.

I did check some sites for the wiring diagram but could not find it.

Thanks,

RESOLVED
I figured it all out and the motor is running well again. I might find a timing light to check the timing more precisely and make some minor adjustments to the throttle linkage.
Thanks for your help,

Latest posts