Introducing air to the hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
So steeped hulls got me thinking, introduce air to the hull gives a faster top end and more fuel efficient mid range. My next boat project (which will be years away) I want to mount a couple of funnel shaped PVC or aluminum air induction things (can't think of a better word) mounted forward of the bow or under the bow and run a pair of 3 or 4" lines about halfway back on the hull of a Jon boat where the air will spill out into the water where it meets the hull.

I don't even know how well I drew this mental picture for you, but please critique it for me, tell me what's wrong with the idea or if you think it might be right? I'm thinking at 15-20 MPH the force of air will be enough to push enough air to add bubbles and speed.

I don't care how it might look, just trying to accomplish something.

They used to sell them to be glued/glassed to FRP hulls, called "Speed Rails". Did they work? Yes they work, but doubtful you'll go fast enough to see any advantage, as one needs really FAST planing speeds.

DaleH said:
They used to sell them to be glued/glassed to FRP hulls, called "Speed Rails". Did they work? Yes they work, but doubtful you'll go fast enough to see any advantage, as one needs really FAST planing speeds.

What do you call really fast planing speeds?

DaleH said:

http://www.marinebasin.com/performance_tips#:~:text=Speed%20Rails%20can%20give%20your%20boat%20added%20lift.,are%20epoxied%20and%20screwed%20on%20with%20stainless%20hardware.

If this is what you're referring to, it's not what I'm trying to describe. If the link i have is wrong and not what you mean can you supply a link?

Crazyboat said:
DaleH said:

http://www.marinebasin.com/performance_tips#:~:text=Speed%20Rails%20can%20give%20your%20boat%20added%20lift.,are%20epoxied%20and%20screwed%20on%20with%20stainless%20hardware.

If this is what you're referring to, it's not what I'm trying to describe. If the link i have is wrong and not what you mean can you supply a link?

Stepped hulls, and hull areation were actually thought of in the era of steam engines, but they didn't produce the enough horsepower to produce the necesary hull speeds, i.e., > 30 MPH.