Jet boat pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfreak288

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking for first hand experience with adding pods to jet outboard jon boats. I have a 1448 nova pro weld (mod v) with a 40 hp merc 2 stroke. Boat is rated for max 30 hp so I sit a little low in the rear. My battery is in the front of boat and my fuel tank is in the center of the boat.

Honestly my performance is great with one or two guys. I get up on plane pretty fast and I can run 27 mph solo and 22-24 mph with two guys.

I have a few reasons why I am considering adding pods. First off, I use my boat as a power drifter for trout fishing. I row it just like a drift boat and it would be nice to have less draft in the rear of the boat when rowing over shallow gravel bars. Secondly I am afraid to get on step in water less that 2 ft deep because I sit low in the rear and will suck up gravel. Third, on occasion I run with three guys and I have issues getting on plane but once I get up on plane I can run decently well. I was thinking it may help me get up on step faster on the rare occasion I run 3 guys.

Yes I will make sure the pods are angled up and not flush with the bottom to make sure they don’t create drag and yes I will be welding them on to the hull.

Attachments

• 4D799ABE-F277-4205-B802-936274D08CE6.png
    4D799ABE-F277-4205-B802-936274D08CE6.png
    675.1 KB · Views: 2
I can only say is that everything you have stated is consistant with what I have read about them. How much it will improve things, is probably your real question. With three guys, think it will help some, but it is still going to struggle to plane.

I added pods early this year to my Lowe 1860/Yamaha 65/90 jet. Definitely helps with leveling the boat at rest BUT I went to great pains to balance the boat as well. You’re looking at $800 to $1200 for custom installed pods or if you’re handy you’ll only spend $300 to $500. Let me know if you have any questions.

48696184-4939-41EF-A94B-28E24B8E5A7B.jpegC4DCE018-88D6-4D83-88DF-7D2C783D9B7E.jpeg

If the pod is placed so that it is under water, the added buoyancy is equivalent to the weight of the water it displaces at 62.5 lb/cf. Let's say you want to raise the stern by an inch. Place enough weight on the transom to make the stern sink by an inch. Have your 150 lb wife or your 110 lb girlfriend stand on the stern and see what happens. Whatever weight gets it to sink by an inch will determine the volume of the pod, underwater, needed to raise an inch. Just divide that weight by 62.4, then half of that volume goes in each pod. It must be under water to get the full effect of the buoyancy. Any volume of the pod out of the water must be deducted from the buoyancy twice, once for buoyancy lost and again for added weight to the vessel. The ideal configuration of a pod would have it's top just at the water's surface when at rest. And pods will do nothing for getting on plane except for the buoyancy that might keep it from hitting bottom on takeoff.

If the pod is placed so that it is under water, the added buoyancy is equivalent to the weight of the water it displaces at 62.5 lb/cf. Let's say you want to raise the stern by an inch. Place enough weight on the transom to make the stern sink by an inch. Have your 150 lb wife or your 110 lb girlfriend stand on the stern and see what happens. Whatever weight gets it to sink by an inch will determine the volume of the pod, underwater, needed to raise an inch. Just divide that weight by 62.4, then half of that volume goes in each pod. It must be under water to get the full effect of the buoyancy. Any volume of the pod out of the water must be deducted from the buoyancy twice, once for buoyancy lost and again for added weight to the vessel. The ideal configuration of a pod would have it's top just at the water's surface when at rest. And pods will do nothing for getting on plane except for the buoyancy that might keep it from hitting bottom on takeoff.

"Have your 150 lb wife or your 110 lb girlfriend stand on the stern and see what happens."

But not both at the same time.

Latest posts