Jet or Prop??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redthies

Reaction score
I’m selling my 17’6” center console bay boat tomorrow, and ordering a 1754 mod V Jon to replace it. I spend WAY more time duck hunting and fly fishing small lakes than I do salmon fishing, and two of my friends have much better salmon boats, so I’m making the move.

My question is what to power the new beast with. I’m debating a 50 hp prop motor and a 60/40 jet. Both would be new Mercs with power tilt and tiller controls. My main desire for a jet is the safety when dealing with 3 bird dogs in the boat, and the occasional time I’d be duck hunting in shallow tidal marshes. It’s probably a 50/50 split between the jet terrain, and fly fishing lakes. I know props are more efficient and easier to maneuver. I am thinking if I went prop, I would for sure do a ring around the prop to try and keep it slightly safer.

Thoughts? Who has done both, and which ended up being your preferred mode?

Don't know what your area is like but around here, in the marshes, any sort of prop guard would pick up so many reeds that it wouldn't work at all.

maintenanceguy said:
Don't know what your area is like but around here, in the marshes, any sort of prop guard would pick up so many reeds that it wouldn't work at all.

Valid point. It’s a big river mouth with lots of channels. It’s not crazy with reeds/grasses, but they are there. It’s definitely not a swamp, but there are shallows. It is tidal too, so what is deep going in at dawn, might be a scratch at noon.

Well, I went in and paid cash for the boat and ordered the motor today. Went for the 50 hp Merc with power tilt/trim and heated tiller handle for the cold December duck days. After getting some insight from the local duck hunting guys, they all suggested I stay away from a jet. The Mud Buddy option came up, but I don’t want to go that route as I want something I can troll with in lakes, which frankly is another reason I went prop.

Latest posts