Jon Boat 14'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captmig

Reaction score
Here is my current project. Tks to all for the ideas I have found on here.P1020911.jpg

I am building this for bass fishing and welcome your comments and suggestions.img_1270682700_267.jpg

Patching holes!img_1270682724_545.jpg

img_1270683004_329_sm.jpgimg_1270683044_278_sm.jpgimg_1270683306_614_sm.jpgimg_1270683455_480.jpgimg_1270683473_106.jpgimg_1270683496_683_sm.jpgimg_1270683539_511_sm.jpgimg_1270683584_507.jpgimg_1270683850_139_sm.jpgimg_1270683610_819.jpg

More to come.

cya

Attachments

• img_1270683342_533_sm.jpg
    img_1270683342_533_sm.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,254
  • img_1270683435_189.jpg
    img_1270683435_189.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3,254
Wow, that framing looks great. Are you guys using liquid nails as well?

Hard to tell from the pic, but normally people use untreated wood with a water sealer as opposed to pressure treated to prevent corrosion with the aluminum.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Brine said:
Wow, that framing looks great. Are you guys using liquid nails as well?

Hard to tell from the pic, but normally people use untreated wood with a water sealer as opposed to pressure treated to prevent corrosion with the aluminum.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Its kind of like liquid nail, its made for wood to aluminum.

Dammit!! dont tell me i'm gonna have issues w/ the wood. It is pressure treated. I had no idea the aluminum would have an issue. Can you describe what issue I might have?

tks

Well........Before you get too depressed, you may do some searching on here and google for "pressure treated wood aluminum corrosion". I don't have first hand experience, but I've seen and read about it.

By the same token, I've read from people who say they have had pressure treated wood in their boats for years without problems. Apparently, aluminum doesn't play nice with dissimilar metals which can be found in pressure treated wood. How long will it take to be a problem if at all? I don't know.

Sorry Man!

I'm hoping that someone on here will say.... "You'll be fine, and not to worry." It looks like one heck of a frame job.

Wow,,, bummer!

A quick google on this and I got a lot of info. Wish I would have read a bit more b4 starting. I did read that a barrier between the wood and aluminum is all you need and paint can be that barrier.

Most of the wood was left over from a shed we built so $$$ was already spent for that project, I do have 5200 between the wood and the boat along with the paint. Also on the floor i added a strip of aluminum between the wood so that the water would not reach it. I guess time will tell as there is no turning back, and I definitely cant tell my old man cause he will rip it out and start over.

OH WELL!!!!

Have been reading up a bit on this and it seems the wood sold down here in FL at HD was a special treatment for this corrosion. Does not mean I am in the pink at all, but at least it is something. I guess I will be the Ginnie Pig for this lumber.

https://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Know_How/Buying_Guides/Building_Supplies_Buying_Guide/Lumber_Buying_Guides/Pressure_Treated/Docs/HDTreatingMap2009.pdf

https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Pressure_Treated&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=1

I would think if you have a good barrier between the wood and the aluminum, that this would at least arrest the corrosion or even prolong its start/spread. You will probably be fine, but I would certainly check it out at the end of this fising season and see where you stand.

On a differant note that bracing looks stout as h e (double hockey sticks)! Rosey Odonell could fish on there.

Yup my dad does everything to the extreme so what started as a simple project has turned into this.
Thanks for the info guys. I am pretty certain that she will hold up at least for a few years I will have a few more pics up soon as we have done a bit more to it. I know it looks heavy but I have only added 40 lbs or so. The ply wood will add more but I have a 15 hp and a 25. When I first tried her out with the 15 it felt scary so I think the added weight will make her feel solid.
Only time will tell.

Cya

captmig said:
Wow,,, bummer!

A quick google on this and I got a lot of info. Wish I would have read a bit more b4 starting. I did read that a barrier between the wood and aluminum is all you need and paint can be that barrier.

Most of the wood was left over from a shed we built so $$$ was already spent for that project, I do have 5200 between the wood and the boat along with the paint. Also on the floor i added a strip of aluminum between the wood so that the water would not reach it. I guess time will tell as there is no turning back, and I definitely cant tell my old man cause he will rip it out and start over.

OH WELL!!!!

Have been reading up a bit on this and it seems the wood sold down here in FL at HD was a special treatment for this corrosion. Does not mean I am in the pink at all, but at least it is something. I guess I will be the Ginnie Pig for this lumber.

https://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Know_How/Buying_Guides/Building_Supplies_Buying_Guide/Lumber_Buying_Guides/Pressure_Treated/Docs/HDTreatingMap2009.pdf

https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Pressure_Treated&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=1

I am like you, I did the mod. on my boat before I ever knew there was a problem using Pressure treated wood, I didn't use Carpet on
my floor , used Rubber Mats, The Plywood on the floor between the Seats is not fastened Down, Just laying flat on the Flood, and it was
new 3/4 treated wood!! I cant say you aren't going to have a problem, Had I known , I probably wouldn't have used it, But I take it out often to clean the Boat, Been there like 4 years in July, And I have never noticed any problem, Maybe if you don't know any better, It wont hurt you (-: good Luck

Some new progress this weekend. I am confident the wood will hold after seeing the 15 tubes of chauking the old man has put between the wood and hull add to that the paint and she should give me at least 5-7 yrs of fun.

Here are the latest pick enjoy!de4cj6.jpgdeck.jpgdeck2.jpghatch.jpgIMG_0355.jpg

Attachments

• deck3.jpg
    deck3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,629
Nevillizer said:
On a differant note that bracing looks stout as h e (double hockey sticks)! Rosey Odonell could fish on there.

Yes, she could but I doubt she would make it back from that fishing trip. ; ) :twisted:

captmig said:
Nevillizer said:

Yes, she could but I doubt she would make it back from that fishing trip. ; ) :twisted:

And the world would be a better place. 8)

Your dad does some awesome work. Looks very nice. I was a little concerned when I was all that wood thinking man that's going to be heavy, but 40 or so pounds (plus decking) will just settle the boat down a little.

Keep the pics coming.

I have a 15hp & a 25hp. I would rather use the 15 b/c its a shortshaft but if needed the 25 will work,

So far it is not that bad. When i ran it b4 the mod it was scary so the extra weight should make it ride smoother. Also the 2 x 4 all along the ribs are shaped ( see pic below) so it is not as bad as it looks.

img_1270683831_374.jpg

Need to start on the deck this week so will have some more pics coming.

Attachments

• Winter09-10 280.jpg
    Winter09-10 280.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 622
Some new progress this weekend. I am confident the wood will hold after seeing the 15 tubes of chauking the old man has put between the wood and hull add to that the paint and she should give me at least 5-7 yrs of fun.

I tell ya, with all that caulk and screws somebody would have a helluva time takin it out to remod. Hope she provides you with at least 5-7 years. That looks tight, and real pro. Good job.