JON BOAT DECK JOB

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exterior grade plywood is made with waterproof glues. Pressure treaded plywood is soaked in a copper based solution.
It is the copper that is a dissimilar metal that will cause issues with an aluminum boat.

Any plywood's description that ends in an X will be made using eXterior glue.

i.e. ABX CDX BCX

However, the last time I bought some at Lowes, NONE of their plywood had any similar designation. The sheet that I bought was marked for Exterior use.

I was told, once, that almost all of the plywood that we use these days is made with exterior glue.

richg99

richg99 said:
Any plywood's description that ends in an X will be made using eXterior glue.

i.e. ABX CDX BCX

However, the last time I bought some at Lowes, NONE of their plywood had any similar designation. The sheet that I bought was marked for Exterior use.

I was told, once, that almost all of the plywood that we use these days is made with exterior glue.

richg99

Thanks, yes i believe there was an x in the description, i will definitely look when i go
i do not trust big box store advice for the most part, lots of those people dont know their stuff
they try to be helpful, but what can you expect at those wages

Some pics of how the boat was set up, doesnt look like it should be too hard to run some braces and frame out the deck to the back of th first bench seat

Attachments

• DSC05292.JPG
    DSC05292.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05293.JPG
    DSC05293.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05294.JPG
    DSC05294.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05295.JPG
    DSC05295.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05296.JPG
    DSC05296.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05297.JPG
    DSC05297.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05298.JPG
    DSC05298.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05299.JPG
    DSC05299.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05300.JPG
    DSC05300.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC05301.JPG
    DSC05301.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,153
Some more preliminary Jon boat modification looks.

Hoping all i have to do is run some braces from the front metal lip, to the frame the previous owner built to the rib.
Then from the frame he built to the first bench seat. Probably need to build a frame on the bench seat, because it looks lower that the frame and the metal lip. Going to use the frame, and the bench seats as pivot points for doors, might switch things up a bit, not really sure yet what I want to do with doors for storage.
I am sick of having to wrestle things out from under the deck I currently have, also when it rains everything gets wet, because when i am fishing in the front all the water runs to the front of the boat. I hate having to dry out all my stuff every time it rains while I am fishing.

I do not want to build a floor in my boat, but under all the decking I want to figure out a way to keep things off of the bottom of the boat, I want something removable so i can clean out the boat bottom from time to time.
Anyone have any ideas?
I dont want anything heavy....................Before I had a boat cover, and before i moved to a place where it could be garage kept it developed a roach infestation at some point unbeknownst to me. Lots of spraying and cleaning been bug free for a while now, but just in case i do not want anything to be hiding out of site on me.

Attachments

• DSC05302.JPG
    DSC05302.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC05303.JPG
    DSC05303.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC05304.JPG
    DSC05304.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC05305.JPG
    DSC05305.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC05306.JPG
    DSC05306.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC05307.JPG
    DSC05307.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC05308.JPG
    DSC05308.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC05309.JPG
    DSC05309.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC05310.JPG
    DSC05310.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,147
Just a thought... Take a look at PVC lattice at a big box store. Won't rot. Lets water flow through. Might have to drop in some 2 x4 braces to keep it from sagging. Lowes and HD sell it 4x8 sheets.
richg99

yeah thats kind of what i am looking for, just something cheap to keep my tackle bags and such out of the rainwater in the bottom of the boat. I will have to see what they have, i am sure i will have plenty of scrap laying around to use for bracing that stuff once my project is done. For the time being I keep things in milk crates under the deck, had to saw the tops off though because they would not fit.

Florida_Native said:
justin sumner said:
richg99 said:
If you think a thin coat of paint will protect your boat... You may well be mistaken. Electrolysis is pervasive. Why risk it?

richg99
p. s. It doesn't happen overnight.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/292644-holes-aluminum-boat.html

I did a little more research on the chemicals and treated wood, I returned the 2x4 and just got a regular one for my bunk boards.
I did not treat it or anything, but I did not carpet the wood all around, I left the bottom bare, I just have 2 bunks under the boat, 3' each, so it is not a big deal to me to not have the wood treated or anything. If I use 1/2" outdoor rated plywood for the decking, and I carpet it, do I need to use wood stain or something prior to carpeting. I have a little 2x4 chunk that i use to mount my trolling motor, and i wood stained it before mounting it, and it just seemed to wear off and not really be worth the money and effort to wood stain. That stuff is expensive, it was like 40 bucks for a can of it. Is there something else i should be using instead of wood stain that is cheaper, or am I ok just using the outdoor plywood as is. My boat is currently garage kept, and if I wind up living somewhere that i do not have access to a garage, I will build a pole barn, I also have a boat cover, so it will never be exposed to the elements while not in use.

I would stain or get some primer and paint the deck you intend to carpet over. When that carpet gets wet it holds moisture until it fully dries out which will in turn rot that deck rather quickly.

If you aren't trying to spend a lot of money on paint/stain stop by a real paint store (Sherwin-Williams, PPG, or a Benjamin-Moore) they often sell the colors they mess up on for $1 just to get rid of them. Most of the time the colors they have aren't desirable but if it's going to be covered up by carpet the color won't matter. And make sure you use an exterior grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, got me 1 gallon of wood stain from Sherwin Williams for 4 bucks! quite the bargain!

Latest posts