Jon Boat recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldoneeye

Reaction score
I have an early to mid-90's Mercury 40 hp tiller, 2 stroke, 4 cyl, weight is about 177 lbs per specifications I dug up on internet. It is a short-shaft motor - needs a 15" - 16" transom. I need a boat to hang it on. Very difficult to find - most short transom boats are rated at a max of 25hp. However, I assume that is for the 25 four strokes, some which weigh more than my 40 two stroke.
Legal issues aside (insurance, etc.), would I be good putting the motor on a 1548 or 1648, even though rated for only 25 hp? We use to run 50 hps on 15 foot alluminum boats in the 70's. The motor is very powerful for a 40, runs very smoothly but likes gas. I like it, don't want to let it go, very little hours, just did a carb rebuild. Any other suggestions?

war eagle makes a 548 and a 648 that are rated for 40hp. I've had both and still have the 548 (short transom 40hp rating-though I run a little 25 on it).

I "think" Edge, Havoc, Ambush and some others can also have a 40hp rating with a short transom.

You're probably going to be looking for an all-welded boat to have that 40hp rating. Riveted's are probably going to be 25-35hp. Also might depend on the type of steering. Sometimes a tiller steered boat will have a lower HP rating than a console steer.

I can't give you any idea if it'd work on boats that are rated for 25hp, but I know for certain that a lot of 1548, 1553, 1550, and similar sized boats out here are powered by up to 70hp outboards-that I know of. That's all I know of them. Ran a customer's boat last year, powered by a Tiller steer 50hp yamaha...same hull as mine (1548 war eagle)....that thing was NOT fun to have to steer/control. Not fun at all. Took a lot of the "fun" out of boating, IMO. And it wasn't really that fast either; at least not as fast as I would've thought it would be. Coworker ran the exact same hull with a 4 stroke 50 on it for a while, all 235 pounds of it plus his 335 lbs sitting on the seat next to it. It was silky smooth and silent as could be but entirely too stern heavy.

If you're looking at new check out the Alweld boats. They're about as customizable as you can get without going to a full on custom boat builder.

Look at some Blazer boats. Very pleased with mine. They make many different sizes and for short shaft or long shaft motors. Very nice people to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts