Jon boat vs skiff

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Well i wanted to get some opinions on this.I now have a 1436 jon boat as that is all i can afford for the moment.I am running into some money to get a new boat by say nov/dec.I am looking at a few dif options here.I really like the 1852 and the 1652 lowe riveted boats.But i have also been looking at the 1648's.Then i thought to myself what about a 16ft carolina skiff.Now the boat will be bare bones.I just want a front deck and 2 seats if i get the skiff.I don't want a cc it takes up to much room imo.

The type of fishing i do is back country in fl.I don't ever go more then a mile off the shore at all unless i fish the flats.The places i fish are full of rocks,oysters,sand and shoals.I do have to get on plane in a hurry.I have had a 16ft skiff with a 25hp merc and was so dissapointed with the performance.I did however love the boat itself,man was it stable.

I'm working with a brand new 20hp 4stroke suzuki which has a ton of power to move either of them.I can seem to weigh out the pro's and cons here.

I know the jon boat will get on plane fast.I have no issues with stability so i can stand on a plank and fish so that won't make me go either way.I'm looking as what's easier to mod i guess.

livewell,coolers,mounting poles,trolling motor,polling platform.Stuff like that.I want to do this right and only once to deck my boat out to the max.I'm going to do it over the whole following summer when fall and winter are over.I want to fish through it then when it gets hot i will just work on it for as long as it takes.I want to take my time and do it right.

I ask myself is a 1648 big enough.It's a pretty large boat and i know the 20hp will move it really good.If i step up to a 1652/1852 i think i may have to go a bit bigger on the motor like a 25/30hp suzuki.

This is so hard to decide on.I fig the jon boat can take the bottom area of were i fish better.I know if i go over some oysters slow and hit by mistake i will probably do damage on the bottom of the skiff as with the jon boat at best it may scratch it.I believe the skiff will be easier to modify but the idea of a big jon boat is nice to.I don't know i guess i will look at what i can do to both and see.I see what people do to their boats here and it just amazes me that's why i fig a bigger jon boat has so much potential.Ok any help would be great.

The good thing is i'm in no rush and can take my time to decide.

How many people will be fishing with you? I have a 1652 g3 that I use to fish the flats and I like the size. However I believe the 20 would be slighty underpowered.

Prob like 2 most of the time,maybe 3 or 4 on a rare occasion.I want a riveted boat also.I know the 1652 g3 is welded.Never had luck with them they crack to easy.There is a 1652 riveted lowe on youtube with 2 guys and gear with a 20hp 4stroke merc and they push 25+mph,that's pretty impressive to me.

Latest posts