Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick286

Reaction score
First Post here so be easy on me. I posted this on one of the fishing forums got a lot of good feedback, some said to post it here to see what response I got back.

If you experienced boat guys were going to do all electric with a Jon boat would you do flat bottom or Mod V, will be fishing electric only lakes 100-200 acres. Would like to do casting decks fore and maybe aft. Fishing two people what would your minimum size be? What would you do for trolling motors how many lbs of thrust, 12v or 24v. I know there are a lot of variables but just beginning my search.

Thanks

I hand launch from my truck bed, a "V" takes too much bed space with no stowage benefit. A flat nose Jon has no such problems so I went flat bottom flat nose. My Lowe 1040 is all electric and is stable enough for me and my buddy to stand, and it's light enough to carry to the water if needed to fish where only yak fishermen can get to.

If I were using a trailer exclusively I may have gone with a MUCH bigger "V"

Exactly. If hand launching, a single battery and a light boat maybe even a canoe or square back. If using a trailer, 14' v with two motors, a higher thrust on the back for getting from the far end back to the launch and a volt sipping 30lb up front for easing around fishing.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Trailer, getting to old to tug a boat in and out of my truck. I have done it in the past but I don't want to any more.

If you're going electric, you won't see any benefit with a mod V. I just happen to like having more real estate up front. Myself, I would go with a true flat bottom.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm looking in the used market so what ever I can find that looks like a deal, mod V of flat prefer 16'. Most that I'm seeing are with a gas outboard. If I find something that looks like a deal I may ask if they would sell boat only, probably not. How likely would it be that I could sell the outboard.

To judge the market for a used outboard you need to know a few things.
Are there any or many lakes with a HP restrictions in your area?
Motors that fall within any restrictions would sell quicker than motors above the restrictions.
Some brands of older motors are in greater demand. The over all condition is key, a pos won't ever sell.
Asking a fair price will generate more interest when selling. Maybe trade for something you need.

Mod V for choppy water. Flat bottom for flat, still water. On a 200 acre lake, I would think flat bottom would be better. Flat bottom boats are more stable. Less rocking. V bottom boats cut through waves better. If you don't have waves, you don't need the V.

I own a 12' flat bottom boat with electric trolling motor for our smaller freshwater lakes. I have a 5hp outboard I can put on the 12' boat but we only have used it on that boat a couple of times. An electric trolling motor is easier to use and it's all I need if I'm fishing a 100 acre lake. I also own a 17' mod V for the tidal salt marsh creeks and can venture into the chop and waves on the bay on calmer days.

Thanks again guys, I will say the wife isn't to fond of me buying used, she doesn't trust a used boat. I have had 3 boats in my past from 12 flat Jon, then a 16' bass boat. Got tired of the dealing with big water folks and got rid of that. Had a 8' Bass Hunter and loved it. She thinks we need a party barge so she'll be safe on it. Now she has me looking at new, of course I have to spend the money not her. Could you reasonable power something like a 1648 Tracker Grizzly going all electric 12V. Or any other brand that has deck or decks ready to fish. I know I'm rambling with this but I have been talking a boat with her for over a year. I'm retiring in 20 months (she's already retired) if I don't buy something before that not sure she'll be to keen on it when I'm not working steady.

Thanks again

Around here in the early spring they have these outdoor shows/expositions that might be good for new boat shopping. They typically have deals going on and wide selections of brands & types of boats.

LDUBS said:
Around here in the early spring they have these outdoor shows/expositions that might be good for new boat shopping. They typically have deals going on and wide selections of brands & types of boats.

Boat shows around me start in January. They seem to only want to sell $80,000 ski boats and $100,000 pontoons. YES, a $100,000 pontoon. :shock:

I paid $9,000 for my 96 Grumman 20 special pontoon boat.. rebuilt it twice. Still has the original 50hp Evinrude. Love that boat!

I think buying a visually well kept Jon boat presents little risk, especially if you can get it in the water before buying it.

Certain boats like the Grizzly can be had for a substantially better price than new, and classic older boats that have been garage kept are easily found.

Some (like my Lowe) are generally not available on the used market and you pretty much have to buy new.

If you aren’t in a hurry, a 12v trolling motor will get you around a small lake, you’ll just get passed by people in kayaks. I had a 12v 35lb thrust transom mount on my old 1448 flat bottom and it got me around all the water I fished. I liked it because it was quiet and I didn’t have the fuss of a gas motor with that boat. Just pick up a good battery.

I’d consider a 1448 the minimum for two, but it still felt a little tippy depending on who was in the boat with me. But we had plenty of room for the cooler livewell, tackle, rods, and everything else. My suggestion is go as wide as possible. For two people, the length isn’t too big of a deal, but those narrow boats still make me nervous.

FFS - If there are any boat rental operations near you, renting a pontoon a few times a year is more economical than buying one. Plus you don't have to store it all winter. Then get a fishing-purposed boat & everyone wins.

I have a 2019 grizzly 1648 I run electric only. It’s a heavy boat. With a 80 lb thrust in the front and 55 lb thrust in the back running at 1/2 speed it does about 3mph. When my 55 dies I’ll be putting another 80 or a 110 lb thrust
This boat is a mod v but it’s a very stable boat. Very slow to react when I crawl all over it. Me personally I’ve been fishing electric only for thirty years or so . I’ve had a 1232, a1448 and a 1032. If it will be trailered the bigger the better to a point. The 1648 I’ve got now is perfect for me.It can take a lot of weight anyone who fishes electric knows the weight of one group 31 deep cycle batteries let alone 4-6 of them. Smaller boats will have a problem taking enough batteries, motors, gear and people plus the decks we all like to add.

Wallyc, sounds like you have what I'm looking for. I have had one suggestion of putting a 24v on the transom and 12v on the bow to save weight and money. Would you consider something like that doable. Largest electric lake I'll be on is 175 acers. If I every decide to go elsewhere I could always put a tiller gas on it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys

Depending on the hull a single 24v transom mounted trolling motor might work. A grizzly is a heavy pig. The bigger and/or heavier the hull (combined with all the stuff inside of it), the more water it displaces which creates more drag which makes it harder for a propulsion system to move it. A really light 1432 with a 12v 35lb transom mount trolling motor is all I used for the second 14 years of my life, it was plenty fast enough to get around the 14000 acre lake, but it's got like 78 public ramps scattered around the lake, so if I wanted to fish one area, I'd go there rather than trying to criss-cross the entire lake. It is shallow and full of tree stumps most of which are in inch or so below the surface at normal lake level. You aren't going very fast on those waters. That old 1432 was a true tin boat, it was made out of tin foil and it would bend easily by running up on a stump. But again, it goes as fast as I needed it to and I never once ran out of battery.

There are also electric outboards on the market but I have not looked into them one bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Caroute-N30...rnid=2765907011&s=boating-water-sports&sr=1-2

I bought my flatbottom new for $1850 I believe. Trailer was an additional $750. It is an Alumacraft 1648 NCS model. It would be a good model for what you are looking to do. If you do some searching on here, I know one guy had the the same model as me and had a thread on rigging his out totally electric.

IMO, your best deal is to find a used boat with an outboard you can sell. I would think being all electric the hull weight is not super critical like it was for me. Lighter is better generally but heavier is going to be slightly more stable. Im not sure if the tradeoff of stability for weight really matters in your case.

Latest posts