Just got Ouachita 10' Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedacoel

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this board. I just picked up an old Ouachita 10' jon boat I believe is from '60s or early '70s. It appears to be in great shape - no major dents, rivets tight, and transom wood is still solid. The oar sockets need to be replaced (or repaired) because they are cracked. It is very light and fits in my Tacoma truck bed very well. My plan is to use it for fishing the lakes in my area where I can't use my 13' Boston Whaler.

The sticker on the inside of hull is damaged so I can't read the serial number - it begins with 557 I believe. Does anyone know anything about Ouachita aluminum jon boats? I'd like to know it's age. In NY, if I want to use a trolling motor, I'm supposed to register it. It has never been registered, and there is no Hull#. I did have the previous owner give me a bill of sale. Trolling motor and registration is not a priority. I don't mind rowing but want to know my options. Thanks in advance for any advice.

JC

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 270
I don't know about your state but in Georgia I had a similar issue. I bought a 10ft Jon Boat and there was no serial number and it look like there never was a serial number. I called the DNR because they will not register a boat unless it has a serial number. They actually came to my house inspected the boat and put a new serial number in a hidden place under the seat. I was now legal and registered the boat. You might want to inquire to see if that is an option in your state