Kayaks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears that kayaks have become very popular over the past few years. When we moved from northern Indiana to north Georgia 15 years ago we discovered that there are no natural lakes. (call me dumb, but coming from an area with countless small natural lakes I never thought about it). The reservoirs are either very large ie. Lake Lanier for example that allow all types of watercraft or small and usually restricted to total electric or hp restricted craft.
The large reservoirs (lakes) are, IMO, over run with recreational watercraft ranging from jet skis to wake boats. (I have wondered why someone designed a boat to tear up shoreline, but oh well). It was not a very relaxing environment to spend the day fishing.

This is why we sold our boat and put together the one you see on my signature line. Fishing the small waters was great for several years until the rise of kayaks. Covid seemed to accelerate the trend. Folks that are fishing for the most part are pretty good either while launching/retrieving or in the water regardless of fishing from a boat or kayak. There are always exceptions to everything, but this seems to be the rule. Keep in mind that on these small lakes you really don't have recreational boat use. 99.9% are fishing.

However when it comes to kayaks (and paddle boards) it's 98% recreational. The biggest offense is taking up the entire landing to launch or retrieve and spending 20 minutes doing it. The SOP seems to be, dump you kayak(s) in the middle of the landing, take a phone call, put on sunscreen, text, go back to your vehicle, text, put on you PFD, text, go back to your vehicle to get your paddle, text, launch. All while 3 people are waiting to launch/retrieve their boat.

I really don't have a solution to this, but it makes the whole experience less enjoyable. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this or if it's just in my area.

Kayakers I encounter are mostly there to fish. I've never had an issue with them at the ramp, but then during the week the ramps are pretty empty. I have to say, some of the kayaks are decked out with rod holders, pedal power, & even small trolling motors.

Weekends at the lakes I go to are a zoo. During the week on the other hand, me and a handful of other fishing folk pretty much own it. I avoid weekends and holidays. Retirement has its pluses!

I don't normally take random pic's of the ramps, but did today just to show the water level. This shows the "crowds" when I was leaving today at about noon. BTW, those large vessels are houseboats on moorings.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 6.32.45 PM.png

I am still working during the week so still fishing on the weekends. The lake I like to fish is near UGA. A lot of the yakers are either staff or students. That probably explains the lack of ramp etiquette.

Yeah, that probably explains things. Most of the fishing kayakers I see stay off to the side. They seem to have the loading/unloading down pretty good. I think it is probably easier for them to launch from a bank then the concrete ramp.

At another lake I haven't been to for years, there is no bank area near the ramp. Kayaks are restricted to one side of the four lane ramp. They position the kayak sideways just in the water on the concrete ramp so they can step in without getting wet I guess. I kind of feel for them scrapping the bottoms on the concrete, but that is all that lake has to offer.

My preferred lake is large and has a tendency to get real rough in the wind, not exactly kayak friendly although I do see many of them around in the warmer months. I've never been bothered by them, most of our ramps our very wide with four lanes, the yakkers usually pull off to the farthest ends that nobody really uses and do their thing.

Covid definitely changed things. Spring/summer of 2020 was just a nightmare, ramps were always full, every day was like a summer weekend, everybody was out. It's tapered down some but the lakes are still busier than before, I think a lot of folks purchased boats and picked up a new hobby, others retired and now have more time to get out.

What you stated is the reason why I much prefer fishing in the fall and winter. The fishing is usually great and there isn't many out aside from the diehards like us.

This doesn’t sound like the behavior of any kayak fishermen that I know. Leaving your yak and gear unattended on a ramp is a good way to have it launched or run over by a trailer.

Take photos next time and get them to the local EPOs. Sounds like something that could be solved quickly with some friendly education. Mentioning to the yakers that you almost ran over their gear and that they might want to keep to the side of an active ramp until they are ready to launch might help. Nothing like the thought of loosing stuff to motivate.

Memorial, Independence and Labor days are a spectator sport that the commercial ramps that I use. Retirees line up with folding chairs and snacks to watch the end on day festivities 😁

This doesn’t sound like the behavior of any kayak fishermen that I know. Leaving your yak and gear unattended on a ramp is a good way to have it launched or run over by a trailer.

Take photos next time and get them to the local EPOs. Sounds like something that could be solved quickly with some friendly education. Mentioning to the yakers that you almost ran over their gear and that they might want to keep to the side of an active ramp until they are ready to launch might help. Nothing like the thought of loosing stuff to motivate.

Memorial, Independence and Labor days are a spectator sport that the commercial ramps that I use. Retirees line up with folding chairs and snacks to watch the end on day festivities 😁
Like I said in my post, this behavior isn't typical of kayak fishermen, but seems to be of UGA students and staff. This landing is in a city park, and the park staff is aware of the behavior.

In areas where kayaking is popular, having a dedicated kayak launch chute (whatever you call it) might take some pressure off. I haven't seen any at the places I go, but there seem to be several designs out there -- primarily to assist disabled folks with launching I think. Seems like a good thing and probably a lot safer.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 9.48.41 AM.png

With how complicated fishing kayaks have become (multiple rods, storage, electronics, power sources like pedals or trolling motors, the list goes on…), I’m not surprised that launching/fishing prep/recovery is more of an ordeal than it used to be. I’ve done my fair share of kayak fishing, but always kept a minimalist approach. The modern setups seem like a management nightmare on the water. But some of what you experienced is also probably just behavioral - people who aren’t being considerate to the fact that others need to use that space as well.

With how complicated fishing kayaks have become (multiple rods, storage, electronics, power sources like pedals or trolling motors, the list goes on…), I’m not surprised that launching/fishing prep/recovery is more of an ordeal than it used to be. I’ve done my fair share of kayak fishing, but always kept a minimalist approach. The modern setups seem like a management nightmare on the water. But some of what you experienced is also probably just behavioral - people who aren’t being considerate to the fact that others need to use that space as well.
In my experience it's not the folks fishing from kayaks that are a problem in the landings, it's recreational kayakers. I haven't really seen the real complex fishing kayaks in this area. The bad behavior in the landings is either caused by arrogance or ignorance. I just haven't figured which yet. LOL

The problem with blocking ramps is not just kayakers, many boater will back partially down the ramp before preparing their boat and gear for launching. They reverse the procedure when pulling out, partially up the ramp then while blocking the ramp they proceed to tie the boat unload their gear and talk on the phone. Kayakers do not have the monopoly on ignorance. Problem is in todays world many people cannot take critics, say something and odds are you could get punched. I note the ignorant ones and when ever possible will have all sorts of problems loading or unloading when they are waiting.

The problem with blocking ramps is not just kayakers, many boater will back partially down the ramp before preparing their boat and gear for launching. They reverse the procedure when pulling out, partially up the ramp then while blocking the ramp they proceed to tie the boat unload their gear and talk on the phone. Kayakers do not have the monopoly on ignorance. Problem is in todays world many people cannot take critics, say something and odds are you could get punched. I note the ignorant ones and when ever possible will have all sorts of problems loading or unloading when they are waiting.

Well, that is true. It is one thing if someone is having an issue getting the boat on the trailer. It is another if they are doing something like you describe. Couple years ago guy pulled his boat out then proceeded to wipe it down with towels while blocking the ramp. Looked like a new boat so probably didn't know any better.

Once I was pulling up right after the hatchery truck dumped several hundred pounds of rainbows at the ramp. Had lures wizzing all around me. Marina staff had to chase them off the ramp. Pretty crazy to have hundreds of confused trout swimming around the boat.

This is the reason I stay away from popular ramps !! I use one that is out of the way, folks dont like it because there is a long canal ride to get out to the big lake. Those that use this ramp are pretty much the same folks each time and so far been good about being courteous. On ocassion we get a new bonehead that thinks he owns the ramp, but we do offer help and try to educate these folks, most are thankfull for helpfull suggestions, but if we get a bonehead that goes off and tries to start something, we all band together to get it under control quickly!! I typically launch and load by myself, have been doing this for over 60 years, so yes, I am good at it. Can launch or load faster than most two man crews, but, my equipment is set up properly to make it easy!! Often, when we see someone having issues that are not friendly to suggestions, I just go ahead and launch or load at the ramp right beside them. This creates a sort of embarrising situation when they see me going alone and in or out in less than 5 minutes. This often causes them to ask for tips and tricks to make there job easier.....BUT...if jetskiers or kayak folks...nope, just often arrogant if younger folks !! Older folks....not a problem!!!!!

Unfortunately the small lakes I currently fish only have one ramp. This wasn't much of a problem until covid hit and they shut down the bars and other activities around UGA. I guess everyone took their covid relief money and bought kayaks or paddle boards. I'm hoping this year that the young people are bored with kayaks and go back to drinking and partying as their preferred form of entertainmant. :rolleyes:

Kayaks are small, narrow watercraft that are typically designed for one or two paddlers. They have been used for thousands of years by indigenous people for hunting and transportation in regions with water bodies like rivers, lakes, and oceans. In recent times, kayaking has become a popular recreational activity and sport.
Paddles: Kayakers use double-bladed paddles to propel themselves through the water. SUP Stand up Paddle length and design can vary depending on the type of kayaking.

Last edited:
My twin sister who is very much into Kayaks is moving to Oklahoma next month. She has never left the state of California since she was born. I tried to explain to her that the lakes are a bit different here. Copperheads and Cottonmouths are common. They are very well known to investigate watercraft with no fear. Lake Eufaula is riddled with them. There is no way on earth I would even think about entering the waters here in such a craft. Guess she will figure it out the hard way. The first time a full grown cottonmouth crawls upon her I know that will be it for Kayak days on the lake.

Kayaks are small, narrow watercraft that are typically designed for one or two paddlers. They have been used for thousands of years by indigenous people for hunting and transportation in regions with water bodies like rivers, lakes, and oceans. In recent times, kayaking has become a popular recreational activity and sport.
Paddles: Kayakers use double-bladed paddles to propel themselves through the water. SUP Stand up Paddle length and design can vary depending on the type of kayaking.
OK, I got to know. Who else thinks this is an AI account? This account comes out of nowhere, replies to post from February, this is the only post they made, and their reply is literally a definition on what kayaks are, not at all pertaining to the conversation that was at hand months ago. Maybe you can prove me wrong, Farhana, but as of now, I don't think you are real...

OK, I got to know. Who else thinks this is an AI account? This account comes out of nowhere, replies to post from February, this is the only post they made, and their reply is literally a definition on what kayaks are, not at all pertaining to the conversation that was at hand months ago. Maybe you can prove me wrong, Farhana, but as of now, I don't think you are real...
Agree it ain't real. Replied anyhow.

Well, I appreciated your story about your sister moving there soon. I'd say a cottonmouth in the kayak would be a rude awakening for anyone! Is she moving there to be closer to y'all?

Well, I appreciated your story about your sister moving there soon. I'd say a cottonmouth in the kayak would be a rude awakening for anyone! Is she moving there to be closer to y'all?
Yes my dad needless to say is getting on in the years. My wife works for the V.A. and cleans and runs errands for him but he needs a live in. My sister is retired and she is tired of California so it should work out well.

Latest posts