Keel leak on 16ft Bayrunner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old Bayrunners are nice boats. I do think you should also replace the framing piece that was removed. If mine I would repair the leaks, or have them repaired. I wish I could advise on how best to do that, but that is outside my expertise. Patches with a heavy coat of sealant riveted over the bad areas? IDK.

Well Mike if your boat is anything like mine then you will find that there is thick salt build up under the floor supports. I had another small leak on the opposite side of the support I posted earlier so I cut a small section away, cleaned, and sealed it with epoxy.

I went out for another test and found yet another hole somewhere in the stern so I got to cutting. I got my cut off tool and removed a bracket that was full of salt that was causing major pitting. After cleaning, I found 2 more holes and that is where I’m currently at. I plan to fill those 2 holes with Alumbond and (per the advice above) gluvit the rest. I don’t plan to put that support bracket back on because 1. It going to cause salt buildup again, and 2. It gives me a good location to mount my pump. I will update once I get everything all fixed up. In the meantime I’m hoping someone can chime in and tell me if that bracket is necessary (structural). Thanks
Well that's a little discouraging to hear. I ended up going to the ramp (with only the rear floor out) and found several leaks in my transom from all the holes drilled from the fancy 80's tech that was still installed from when I bought it. I tried using marine epoxy + rivets to seal the holes in the transom when I bought the boat but I guess that didn't work. I stood in the rear of the boat alone so the boat was tilting back, strangely no water came through the drain channels indicating leak from the front 2/3 of the boat that was still covered with flooring.

At this point in time I know there are at least 8 different spots in my transom that are leaking, however I don't truly believe that's where it ends... here's why.

I did the fill test. I lifted the front of the trailer and ran water into the boat from the bow with the drain plug in and water ended up dripping out of a hole drilled into the keel guard near the transom (attached picture, facing the transom). I did NOT drill this hole, the previous owner did so obviously this is an issue he noticed and must have forgot to mention (right?). I originally thought that hole was for some sort of live well system that was removed, but well now we know.

It seems my issue could lead to quite the dilemma. Last time I took the boat out I was able to fish 8 hrs while having to manually activate the bilge pump while on plane to remove the water or have everyone stand in the back of the boat. That's including the multiple spots leaking from the transom. I believe once I get the transom holes welded or brazed my leak will slow down quite significantly but will still be leaking from a mystery spot. With the mystery leak in the back of my head I'll constantly be thinking "what if the leak/crack gets bigger" and will be nervous the entire time. On one hand now I don't think the leak from the keel is very substantial, and could potentially turn to something hardly noticeable that I could live with. On the other hand... I know the boat is welded and isn't supposed to be leaking at all, and maybe if I don't address the issue now it will only get worse and potentially catastrophic.

For now I will just take it 1 step at a time. I'm replacing the transom wood so at that time I'll take care of the transom holes then do a dock test -> driving test then update my findings here.

Fish on!

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts