Landau 1436 Make-Over (First Post)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILRiverRat

Reaction score
Hi All -

I've lurked here and marveled at the various boat projects I've seen but I think this may be my first post. (or at least it's been a long time!)

Anyway - lifetime jon boat owner (almost 55 now) - and I sold my Gen III 1860 a couple years ago because I spend most of my time on my Fiberglass bass boat (sorry) But I still miss my 'tin boat' - so I've decided to be an indian giver and retrieved my Landau 1436 from a buddy I loaned it to for his pond and I'm thinking about a 'make-over'

To say it's in rough shape would be a understatement - but I've got it home now and started stripping out a bunch of old crap and seeing just what it needs and how much I want to do with it.

Couple things - I know some folks transport boats up to this size in the back of a pickup - but since I may use this solo - I think I need to find a nice little trailer for it - or - alternatively - I could resurrect my old 1860 trailer that has a broken yoke and 'downsize' it to accommodate this rig. I know it's look funny - but hey, it's a tailer I already own so....

I'm hoping to get some good advice from the folks here and I'll be glad to post up progress picks and maybe help somebody else down the road. I'm going to have to think about if I just want to go minimal ( new paint, maybe a floor, seats. etc possibly an old graph I have) or just keep it as an ultra-light portable 'car-topper' that only gets powered with a troller. I DO have the old mid-60s Evinrude that came with it - and the motor runs great - but if I"m gonna start using it regular I think I'll need a new impeller - so if anybody knows where I can order the water pump/kit - please post up!

Now - about the boat. It's current state shows about 3-4 kinds of old paint, there's been a lot of hull repairs, there's dings everywhere and best I recall it leaks still - so I've gotta figure that one out and get those little repairs handled - although a close inspection show no obvious holes or loose riverts.

THe transom is in remarkable shape - but I did unbolt and strip off the old plywood plate on the outside. I guess that'd be one of my first questions. What kind of replacement plate should I use? Exterior plywood, some sort of treated 1x material? How would I best seal it?

Another question is paint. I assumed I'd have to spray it and possibly use a flat olive with Zinc Chromate already in it (I've sprayed a few jons in the past with excellent results) - but can I just primer it and possibly roll it as I"ve seen some here do? Were the results okay? I"m not trying to win any beauty contests but a good coat of paint sure can may a jon look better.... WHat would be the best to use? I"ve seen some use like Rust O Leum gloss and stuff - something like that? Oil based I'm guessing would be better than latex?

I don't know if I want to do a full-up 're-decking' fora couple reasons - it seems like the extra weight and height might make an already small boat too heavy and possibly 'tippy'. But I'd like to hear opinions on that. Some of these conversions I've seen look awesome and there's certainly some talent here - but the proof (as they say) is in the pudding. so - post up with your thoughts...

Also could use some advice on putting more floatation back in it - at some point an earlier owner stipped out about half the foam in the seats and the mice have done the rest - so I"m trying to figure out the best approach there. Certainly - I can put like 1" foam sheets under a floor and I"ve sone that in the past with good results and you can go with a lighter floor when you do...

Anyway - here's a couple pics - I welcome working with many of you and hearing your advice! Thanks so much in advance!

--Carl

Side shot
Side_Photo.JPG

Transom View
Stern_Photo.JPG

Gonna reply to my own post (since nobody else has) :cry: but after reading a ton of info on here - I think it'd be a bad idea to try and deck this rig. I think I'll just put some good plywood on top of the benches (for strength) and bolt swivel seats to it (to have a back rest). Maybe put in a light weight floor, with foam under it.

Questions for the forum...

Any experience with trying to glue the carpet right to the hull? Seems like that'd be a mistake if I have to have the hull repaired (which is likely with this rig)

Any thoughts on building a 'shell' of wood to slip OVER the benches to both raise it slightly and give it strength?

And finally - other than cutting the rivets to remove the benches and re-installing them, any thoughts on how to get foam back up under the benches? THe stuff that is there is a mess... I'd like to replace it. I can offset the loss a little bit with foam under the floor but I was wondering about spraying in the expandable foam or something like that...

I do think my number one priority is in keeping the CoG low and keeping it light...

thanks all..

Latest posts