Life jackets/PFD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m about ready to get back on the water after doing a lot of work on my 16/52 jon boat. I’m close to 60 now and fishing alone at times. I’ve always took off my life jacket leaving it attached to the kill switch. Then go fish mostly off the bow.
That’s going to change after reading an article on hear pushed me to what I’ve been thinking about. Especially since I have set up for night fishing as well.
The life jacket I currently have is an Onyx which gives me arm room but still bulky and gets uncomfortable especially in the summer here in Texas. If I try throwing my cast net with it on (which I’m not used to doing from a boat yet) I’m afraid I’ll go in the water with it. I have to buy another one anyway since I’ve lost a lot of weight and it’s now to big.
Does anyone keep their life jacket on all day while in the boat? What do you recommend as far as comfort and mobility? I’ve looked at a couple of inflatables but they say they’re recommending them for strong swimmers. I’m a good water treader and that’s it. I fish small lakes here but I go during the week and there’s less chance of help on the water same at night.This will also give my wife less to worry about when I’m out fishing.
Since I’ve made up my mind and promised my wife this morning I’m going to wear it the whole time in the boat.
Any replies/suggestions are appreciated.

I have an Onyx inflatable. I wear it just about all of the time when I'm out alone. If I manage to fall in the drink while trolling there is no way I will catch up with the boat. If I know I'm going to fall in I would opt for a Mae West type. I have them in the boat but no way I will wear one all day. And, the one thing we know for certain is the PFD won't do any good unless you have it on. So, for me it is the more compact inflatable PFD.

Your post reminds me that it is probably time to replace mine.

I always wear my PFD while in the boat.

I used to wear a fishing vest/PFD combo, but now I wear a BassPro auto-inflatable. Most of the guys who fish with me also wear inflatables. I keep a spare CO2 cartridge in my boat bag.

I've seen friends go over the side without PFDs (not my boat). In both cases, other fisherman and other boats were around to help get these large guys back in a boat. If they had been alone, we'd have been going to funerals.

If an entrepreneur wanted to get some of my money, he/she would invent a light weight mesh fishing vest with integrated auto-inflatable vest. Having been a fly fisherman for a long time before I got into "spinner fishing" and before I had my boat, I grew to like pockets and carrying necessary tools on me with having to look around the boat for them.

I, too, wear a Cabela's auto inflate vest. Worn at all times while on water.

For added safety....I will also be installing a folding ladder at transom for safety reasons. Currently, if I were to fall over, I would have to step on the outboards cavitation plate and try to board from there. A deep ladder ( at least two steps in water) will give me a fighting chance. This style ladder (below) allows me to install/bolt top of ladder just above water line, allowing 2-3 steps in water when folded down. Plus, it can be deployed from the water.

Garelick Ladder

I have an Onyx inflatable. I wear it just about all of the time when I'm out alone. If I manage to fall in the drink while trolling there is no way I will catch up with the boat. If I know I'm going to fall in I would opt for a Mae West type. I have them in the boat but no way I will wear one all day. And, the one thing we know for certain is the PFD won't do any good unless you have it on. So, for me it is the more compact inflatable PFD.

Your post reminds me that it is probably time to replace mine.
Thanks for the input sir. I’m leaning towards an inflatable. Do you ever catch a hook in it etc. ? I’m trying to think of all the positive vs negative.

I always wear my PFD while in the boat.

I used to wear a fishing vest/PFD combo, but now I wear a BassPro auto-inflatable. Most of the guys who fish with me also wear inflatables. I keep a spare CO2 cartridge in my boat bag.

I've seen friends go over the side without PFDs (not my boat). In both cases, other fisherman and other boats were around to help get these large guys back in a boat. If they had been alone, we'd have been going to funerals.

If an entrepreneur wanted to get some of my money, he/she would invent a light weight mesh fishing vest with integrated auto-inflatable vest. Having been a fly fisherman for a long time before I got into "spinner fishing" and before I had my boat, I grew to like pockets and carrying necessary tools on me with having to look around the boat for them.
Thank you. That’s another one for inflatable. I appreciate your input.

I, too, wear a Cabela's auto inflate vest. Worn at all times while on water.

For added safety....I will also be installing a folding ladder at transom for safety reasons. Currently, if I were to fall over, I would have to step on the outboards cavitation plate and try to board from there. A deep ladder ( at least two steps in water) will give me a fighting chance. This style ladder (below) allows me to install/bolt top of ladder just above water line, allowing 2-3 steps in water when folded down. Plus, it can be deployed from the water.

Garelick Ladder
Good idea on the ladder especially at night I’d want to get out of the water asap. And so far everyone is 100% inflatable.
I had to board my boat quickly right after I first got it running. It can be a pain getting it off the trailer depending on the boat ramp. I had my wife in the boat with the motor running while I was trying to rock it off the trailer. She decided to get out of the boat and help me. When she stepped out that’s all the boat needed. Problem was she left it in reverse. I held on to the front of the boat while my feet where sliding down the ramp. I don’t know how I did it but when the water got deep enough I threw my leg over the gunwale and rolled right into the boat. Got to the motor and docked it. Good thing it was only idling.

Well add something else to the list. A ladder makes sense. I had my right hip replaced in Nov and will have my left hip replaced next month. Mobility can be a problem at times. A small fold up ladder would be ideal.

If there is a strong possibility you may go overboard, you could tie a rope between two cleats on the boat and let it drape in the water. This would allow you to step on the center of the rope and climb back in the boat. It's a recommended way to get a buddy back on board so the person in the boat doesn't get hurt.

I wear an inflatable also. I keep it on at all times while aboard. It’s very comfortable and doesn’t get hot at all.

My boat has pods on the back. An additional added benefit to them is they help with getting in and out of the boat in deeper water. If I didn’t have them, I’d definitely have a ladder.

Depends on the boat, water temps and conditions, if I'm wearing or not. For early spring and late fall fishing, where water temps get cold, I wear. Last year, switched to a kayak style PFD from inflatable. Allows for good arm motion for casting, but probably too hot on scorching days.

If there is a strong possibility you may go overboard, you could tie a rope between two cleats on the boat and let it drape in the water. This would allow you to step on the center of the rope and climb back in the boat. It's a recommended way to get a buddy back on board so the person in the boat doesn't get hurt.
That sir, is a great idea!!!

For comfort and convenience, an inflatable.
For reliability, a traditional vest.
My concerns are
- “If” it doesn’t inflate when needed, then a traditional vest, hands down.
- As mentioned above, get a spare CO2 cylinder/rearming kit. Why? On one trip, got to the lake, opened storage box vest was in, it had inflated. It got hot/humid enough in the box. After that, I started leaving the vest on the deck of the boat, when I got home.

For comfort and convenience, an inflatable.
For reliability, a traditional vest.
My concerns are
- “If” it doesn’t inflate when needed, then a traditional vest, hands down.
- As mentioned above, get a spare CO2 cylinder/rearming kit. Why? On one trip, got to the lake, opened storage box vest was in, it had inflated. It got hot/humid enough in the box. After that, I started leaving the vest on the deck of the boat, when I got home.
The inflatables I’ve looked at so far say not for people that aren’t strong swimmers. I can swim but not well. Or as far as weight it’ll say 90# and up. Up to what? I’m a big boy. I just lately got down to 250 lb.
Im going to keep looking at them until I find the right one that makes me feel safe. I think the being a strong swimmer thing is if you’re off shore and possibly stuck in the water a long time. I’m going to have the loudest whistle I can find attached to me if I can’t get in the boat or if the worst happens and I go down with the ship. It’s a 1983 with it’s battle scares and some patched spots I found after I bought it of course. But it never leaked before I went to work on it. One spot in the bottom had been welded and 5200 on top of that. (Advice……If your buying a used tin boat look under the floor first. I’ve got another thread about abatement of corrosion.) This is my first aluminum and the seller did not give full disclosure. I removed the 5200 because it looked like it was corrosion around the outside. Cleaned it up and covered the area with Total Boat epoxy sealer for aluminum boats. Sealed it up tight.
Thanks for the response. It’s still 100% on inflatables.

Depends on the boat, water temps and conditions, if I'm wearing or not. For early spring and late fall fishing, where water temps get cold, I wear. Last year, switched to a kayak style PFD from inflatable. Allows for good arm motion for casting, but probably too hot on scorching days.
I want to be able to throw a cast net from the boat while wearing one. I found out last year the first time I threw from a boat that it’s a lot different than from a bridge or a dock. Keeping my balance the first time was kinda like ice skating. I found out I could throw it over the gunwale instead of the front deck. Much better.

I want to thank ever for their replies. I’ve learned a thing or to as usual from y’all. 100% on the inflatables so far. I’m wondering if I can find one that will keep my 250lbs. Self afloat. Just the ones I’ve looked at so far online say 90lbs and up. I’m looking for one that will tell me how far up is. 😂
When I was a kid I had some c02 bb and pellet guns. I would buy the cartridges by the box. Do the life jackets take a different type of cartridge? I’ve seen the words rearm kit. I want to make sure I include whatever I need Incase I need to reload. I’m going to keep looking until I find one I’m confident in that’ll tell me about maximum weight. I saw one answer on Amazon that said the bigger you are the better you float with it. I’m not a science expert so I’m still pondering that answer. Also some flat out say if you’re not a strong swimmer don’t get it. I can swim but not great. I do better than dog paddle but my wife who grew up in S.C. on the beach and on boats can swim circles around me. Anyway I figured the strong swimmer warning is if you’re off shore and in the water for hours. Depending on what the cost of rearming is I might try it out in the pool just so I know what to expect.
Thanks again gentlemen as always your help is greatly appreciated. I probably wouldn’t be getting ready to put the boat back in the water if it wasn’t for all of you.

Another older guy here considering buying a flotation device. I am/was a strong swimmer, but have a weak shoulder now. So I'm a wear it all the time guy too. I almost went over the side twice last year and realize dangerous that could well be when by yourself on a deserted lake.

Getting back into boating and fishing last year, I suffered with a cheap orange one, but I bought my grandson a ski vest because it just looks cooler. Seems to me a no-brainer to buy a ski vest for myself. Am I missing something? Seems like these inflatable things are a bit too gadgety and possibly not reliable. I mean a ski vest will never let you down right? Smallish guy here BTW, 150 lbs.

Ski vests are good for water sports were you can be skidding across the water. ie they stay on. But, they severly limit arm movement. For a conventional style vest, try on a "kayak" style. They do allow for good arm movement. But, try them on at a store, and see what is comfortable for you. You will just get a few stares when you fein casting. :)

Kayak Style Examples

Last edited:

Latest posts