Limber Holes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gogittum

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix up the little new-to-me 12 ft MirroCraft I bought recently and have a question.

The ribs are solid, all the way across and don't allow for any drainage except for the tiny bit that seeps between the rib and the hull.

I'd like to drill several 3/8" holes on either side of the rib right at the 90 degree bend. I realize it won't get "all" of the water but should improve it a lot.

My concern is possible stress cracking of the ribs at the holes which is why I'd put them at the bend rather than right on the floor - if it'd even be possible to drill them there without going thru the floor. What do you guys think ??

I've run into an awful tangle on the 15 hp Force motor, but that's a whole 'nuther can a worms.

Attachments

• 0N6233.JPG
    0N6233.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 309
I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t do it. I think it would compromise the integrity of the ribs. Especially if you intend to use a 15 hp motor on a 12 footer.
Does it even have a drain in the transom? I have an 11 foot Starcraft with no transom drain; it’s only rated for 5 hp!

I’d imagine you could drill a hole in the centers with a small tube or sleeve to add strength. Perhaps JB weld them in. I have a 12ft aluminum rated for 20hp and run a 15hp. Good luck!

Those ribs are open on the underside, yes? Like the drawing?rib.png I think your issue is that years of crud has accumulated between the underside of the rib and the hull, which is creating a dam of sorts. I'd get the pressure washer out and blast the crap out from in between before I'd drill anything.

In your picture it looks like the area of the floor where the ribs go over the first lapstrake there is a gap. You may have to lean the boat slightly to either side for the water to run to the stern. And yes there maybe years of accumulated crap that will need to be cleaned out from under the ribs.

Latest posts