Line-X Coating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
I have a 26 foot aluminum Bay Runner with a lot of pin hole (oxidation due from sitting in salt water). I am retired on a fixed income. there are too many pin holes to count, so my question is. Is there a spray on coating system like ( Line-X ) that i could have sprayed on the hull so i can get my boat onto to water to do some fishing? Please advise? Remember, fixed income.

This is one of those what I think as opposed to what I've experienced answers. Take a look at Gluvit epoxy sealer. I wouldn't consider it an inexpensive product. Additionally, I would want you to get confirmation from someone who knows more than me that it will do what you need.

I guess that is enough disclaimers! Lol.

I have heard of people that have used it, but no long term reports. My concern would be long term...stuff isn't cheap and if it came off after a couple seasons...well you know..I have heard lots of positive reports on the gluvit, but it needs to go on the inside after a thorough cleaning. I have used a product called "leak stopper" , it is a clear liquid roof coating material that I have used on my little jon boat. As a roofing coating it stands up to weather and dries to a tough coating and is fairly cheap. Availiable thru tractor supply and home depot. I used this stuff years back on inside and outside of my alum jon boat. The ribs were actually worn thru from dragging over sand and stones, still no leaks to this day. Not sure how it work in salt water, might look into it.

I have a 26 foot aluminum Bay Runner with a lot of pin hole (oxidation due from sitting in salt water). I am retired on a fixed income. there are too many pin holes to count, so my question is. Is there a spray on coating system like ( Line-X ) that i could have sprayed on the hull so i can get my boat onto to water to do some fishing? Please advise? Remember, fixed income.

There are two types of Linex, automotive and marine. Neither is cheap and I would avoid it if you are on a fixed income. I just had my SeaArk I just finished rebuilding and I had it sandblasted, it is a very very dirty job and NOT HEALTHY at all, you would need VERY GOOD safety gear and I mean VERY GOOD and a LOT OF SAND, Makes a hell of a mess. There are options BUT, HOW MANY holes are we talking about. You have ELECTROLYSIS.... do you have a sacrificial zinc anode on the hull? This is one from my old SeaArk but I made one for the current SeaArk Like this ?

Attachments

• 100_2494.jpg
    100_2494.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
For what it's worth, Gluvit is a very good product for sealing around rivets, bolts and seams. "Cinched" areas where two surfaces meet and the epoxy can seep. However, in my opinion, it isn't really the best product for sealing wide panels or in "sheets" that would be needed for through holes, though I suppose it would given enough coats and coverage.
In any case, it would also need to be covered with a paint for UV protection or it won't last but a minute, in my experience.

Just read an article refered to me by another tin boater..it is about a product called " Goop epoxy covering" This goop stuff is made by the same people that make the goop shoe repair stuff. This stuff is thicker than gluvit, made to go on the outside of the hull. Has a fiber infused to patch up pin hole leaks and creates an abrasion resistant finnish. Something you might look at to solve your issues.

Latest posts