Link for Boat Modifications! Please post yours!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Bill,

I like the fact you painted most of your project bright red so old farts with crappy eyesight like me can see them.

Andrew---

Do you have only the one seat on the back bench? I don't see another post hole for a center seat on that bench. I have a Lund Semi-V that I am reworking and am trying to deal with ideas for seating placement. It also has a console, which is currently disconnected and removed---see my post under Mods for the 1984 Pro Pike.

eh

Only one seat in the rear. I have a wood bench mounted onto the boxes which runs across, and the seat is drilled into the bench. I could have added and drilled a second seat on the opposite side next to the console but when navigating at full speed with others in the boat, I didn't want all the weight to be focused in the rear of the boat.

I saw your mod link and the PM. I responded to both. :lol:

Bump.

Did I miss anyone, Or anyone have anything to add...boat mod or project? :mrgreen:

I cant keep up anymore, I need 2 of me with four eyes. :LOL2:

The last time zoeconner visited was Tuesday, July 08, 2008, at 12:14 pm.

Yo zoe! If you're out there lurking :popcorn: , did that 1252 barge break in half and sink! :wink: J/K! Checkin
action-smiley-057_PC.gif
if you get a chance! :)

FishingBuds said:
Jim said:
FishingBuds said:
Hey Jim have you heard any back on zoeconner with his 1252 jon build???

No sir! :(

dang, intrested on trying it myself this winter, had some weld machine questions

This is what I know about welding thin sheet aluminum.The best way is with a tig and using filer rod that matches the quality of the aluminum.6061 would use the same in the filler rod.The guy's I know that have welded really thin sheet metal use a tig with a water cooled torch(the tig's hand held electrode).I do not know the settings but I would say as low as the machine will go.This is what I have done with thin sheet aluminum.I used gas mix that we had at work for mig welding thin aluminum plate.The machines were over priced 110volt unit like are sold at Norther Tool and Harbor Freight.I turned the settings all the way down and had to play with the wire feed speed setting.The welding wire was a very thin .027 inch aluminum alloy,IIRC.I backed the weld with a 6 inch square 1/16th inch thick copper plate.The copper plate will not weld to the aluminum and acts like a heat sink to keep the thin sheet aluminum from warping.I was building a tool box with dividers and a tray.It came out fairly well with very little warping.I didn't run but 1/2 inch weld at a time and worked my way around the box doing it a little at a time.I think I was welding 24 or 28 gauge sheet aluminum,not 100% on that.

I was wanting to see what you could get by, say a welder under 300 bucks, then I was going to call and price welding it all together at a weld shop this way I could compare cost. , I'd cut and fab the pieces, have pictures and drawings if needed and have them weld it together.

materila cost and labor, I wonder if he came out cheaper than buying a boat close to that size.

I'm thinking of a 54inch floor on my 14 flat jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts