Lithium battery - worth the expense?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish they made lithium starter batteries at a price similar to the DC batteries. I would switch everything over TODAY.

I made a warranty request, LithiumHub emailed me a shipping label, and I had a fresh battery back at my house within a week. My claim was for "self discharge". They must have seen it before because I wasn't even asked any questions and it was just simply taken care of quickly. I would ask - do you believe you can do that with your cheap Amazon batteries?
I have recommended LithiumHub to a friend for his kayak.
Actually, with TimeUSB, the answer is YES. They are awesome in the customer service department. That's the reason I am recommending them so much. Lithium Hub sounds awesome too.

Even so, I have seen where some sellers on Amazon are not good after the sale. I steered far away from those sellers. READ THE REVIEWS BEFORE BUYING ANY BATTERY.

Also... Come on, guys! Don't let this discussion get too personal.

I apologize for a slightly off topic question (again).

I note that TimeUSB sells Group 24 100Ah and Group 31 100Ah. Since they both have the same amp-hour rating, why would someone want the group 31 over the group 24?

I apologize for a slightly off topic question (again).

I note that TimeUSB sells Group 24 100Ah and Group 31 100Ah. Since they both have the same amp-hour rating, why would someone want the group 31 over the group 24?
Pretty sure it's a progression thing with the manufacturing. Started out fitting into the 31 case and now able to compact things and get them onto the 24 case to save space. As SA says, if you have group 31 trays in your boat a 31 case will fit much better then a 24 case. For a new install, as opposed to replacement, most will likely go with the 24.

BLUF: So for me, can't answer the original question until all lithium batteries achieve better recycling process.

Lifepo4 batteries have many good qualities as discussed in this thread.

Lead acid batteries are almost 100% recycleable, not sure about lithium.

I know it is quite a process to turn in a damaged lithium.

Last edited:
BLUF: So for me, can't answer the original question until all lithium batteries achieve better recycling process.

Lifepo4 batteries have many good qualities as discussed in this thread.

Lead acid batteries are almost 100% recycleable, not sure about lithium.

I know it is quite a process to turn in a damaged lithium.
Actually, there are several Lithium recycling plants in the works right now. They are primarily geared to support the auto industry. They need to recycle the lithium from the electric cars that run on coal generated electricity.

Just got back from 2 days of fishing...off grid.
Trolling for trout(approx.5 hours)and charging ipad and phones at night(usb)
I bought a cheap DC House brand Amazon battery 12v 100aH.
So far so good, just put it on the charger, said 13.5v around 50%...cheap chinese charger but again working great so far.
Like someone said, I doubt the company I bought mine from will be around in a year or two for warranty issues(if any)....time will tell, it wasnt much more than a good brand lead acid.
I found my TM seemed faster, maybe it was just the wind...didnt have to increase the throttle throughout the day.
Im happy so far, think it only weighs 21lbs. I made alittle power box for it, usb and battery terminals.

You know, if you’re in the boonies and need to extend the charge on your batteries the fold up solar panels actually do help a bit. I’ve used them to keep the house battery topped off. Think it’s a 30 watt panel so in full sun it’s throwing a couple of amps back on the battery.

I originally picked the panel up for week long river trips to keep camp lights, mobile devices and emergency beacons topped off. The cellphones are out of range most of the time (which is great) but, Oregon does the fishing license and tagging on mobile phone app.

Latest posts