Long Rivets through transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getzapped

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and I have tried searching already with no luck.
My problem is I purchased a 14 ft flat jon. Its in pretty good shape but the transom is original and needs replacement.
Through the transom are very long rivets. Its brazier head on outside and washer on inside. The transom wood is 1 1/4 + the aluminum + the transom brace. I have to assume these rivets were 2" before being compressed. There were 10 of them. 6 through the 2 transom braces and 4 just to hold the wood to the back aluminum.
I cannot find any rivets this length. Does anyone know a source? should I use something else in place of these long rivets?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've only seen alum or SS bolts through the transom. Usually a round-over head, phillips or hex, toward the outside, and nuts on the inside. They would probably be an easier diy install than trying to buck the rivits.

As Fuzz and Dale mentioned.....SS bolts, nuts, and washers well sealed. I like to use Boat Life polysulfide sealant for the transom area.

Hi
I replaced a rotted transom and used solid rivets and washers like the originals. I’ll get you the vendor info.

Here's the MSC part number for 2" solid aluminum brazier head rivets. MSC-67620401
I knew I'd be needing a variety of lengths to restore my boat, (including a new transom) so I bought a box of 2" and cut them to fit.
I was able to add a 1/4" aluminum plate to the outside of the transom for motor-mount reinforcement as well. The rivets were long enough to fasten the entire sandwich.
Good luck
Ron

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 002 ALUMINUM RUNABOUT.jpg
    002 ALUMINUM RUNABOUT.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 1
I just did a Starcraft Mariner-V 16 foot. I used 5/16" SS carriage bolts in replacement of the long rivets, with the smooth heads out. Makes for a clean finish, and I don't have to worry about strength.

Latest posts