Long term small engine storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarRiverScooter

Reaction score
I am going to put my generator in a coma, hopefully for years.

Do you guys have any best practices for how to prevent the carb from getting gummed up during long term storage? I don't want to have to start it just to freshen gas in the bowl. I know to run it dry. Seems to me gas is still in the jets though.

Would filling it with seafoam be good too?

I think that running it dry clears the fuel from the jets. This has worked fine for me over the years. There might be a little fuel left in the bottom of the bowel. Lots of carb bowls have a drain on the bottom. Also, when running it dry I feather the choke when it begins to sputter. I think this helps get the last bit of fuel out. Not a bad idea to fog piston also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will fog.

I put non-eth with stabil thru it. Then ran it dry. Then wiped out the remnants in the tank (metal tank, how old school is that!). Then took off the bowl & wiped that out too.

It may be 10 years before I need it again! That would be fine with me. Power outages not fun.

ktoelke54 said:
I think that running it dry clears the fuel from the jets. This has worked fine for me over the years. There might be a little fuel left in the bottom of the bowel. Lots of carb bowls have a drain on the bottom. Also, when running it dry I feather the choke when it begins to sputter. I think this helps get the last bit of fuel out. Not a bad idea to fog piston also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what I do. Evaporating gas leaves a sticky varnish behind. I shut off the fuel and run the motor until it dies to get the fuel out of the carb for storage.

Latest posts