Looking at new boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered my boat in a 1860 commercial rated hull. The plus side is there are no hp limits and no weight limits. The downside is there is no flotation in it at all. I ordered it with 3 transom knee braces, so the extra weight on the transom is not an issue and with the tm, batteries, toolboxes, and charger under the front deck it sits with a little bit of a bow high attitude. When I am up front fishing it sits level.

When it comes time to order a new one I will probably go up to a 2060 with the heavy duty gunnel rail (wasn't an option back then). That will be about the only changes I would make for sure.

The jc 1856 actual hull weight is about 525, the 980 is the finished weight with interior. Make sure to get the 3 transom knee braces when going 150 or bigger. The 150 is a good fit for this size and will do well. When I upgraded, once I got to the 200+ hp class they all weigh the same so I opted to go with the 250, which is what I always wanted anyway. There is always tons of power in reserve and cruising at about 4000 rpms gets 35 mph and gets a little over 5 mpg.

If you go 200 or bigger there is going to be a learning curve, they are a completely different animal compared to how a smaller boat/motor combo handles. Power induced slides can skim you across the surface and will get you through some unbelievable shallows. Going down river in sharp turns when you think you have backed off the throttle enough, back off some more. They are awesome once you get the feel of them and know how to slide, point the bow, and throttle. The power is great for emergency maneuvers but can also put you on the bank in a split second. Just letting you know what to expect. Do a lot of practicing before going to the shallows, especially on the upper Black when it is at normal flows.

Joe will get you set up, would be cool if you could get a package deal. I would say he has sold the most V-6 jets of any dealer and they know how to set them up. Good luck, hope it works out!!!

Went and talked to Joe Friday, by the time I did a custom order with what I wanted I was not far away from the price of a JC. The diff. in price right now between a 17/56jc and a 18/56jc is $500.00, I haven't decided if I want a rod box or not, that would save $600.00 No paint also saves $600.00 With that being said when the time comes it's going to be a 18/56jc with a 150, cover, 70lb trolling motor and batts. Color hasn't been decided.

My oldest son likes the 18/56 with a 200. The 200 is 3grand more.

Mike

Well guys, I just got back from Troutt and Sons and put money down on the 18/56 with a 250 that they have on their showroom floor. =D> Added a trolling motor and onboard charger, they have pics on their website. We should be able to pick it up in a couple weeks.

dhoganjr, I might be bugging you in a little bit. :lol:

I seen that one on their site a few days ago, should be a great setup. Glad you found one.

Follow the break-in outlined in the manual. Takes about 2 hours to get through the double oil, it only counts time above 4000 rpm's if I remember correctly. Keep idling to a minimum, no more than five minutes during this time. At startup and shut down after a hard run let it idle for about a minute to let internal temps stabilize. Use Optimax DFI oil. I also use Mecury/Quicksilver Quickare and Quickleen at 1oz each to 5 gallons gas in every tank. Keeps carbon build-up down.

Congrats, need pics when you get it!!!

Thanks Dan, I might have a few questions when I get it, I never had a refrigerator hanging off the back of a boat before. :lol: I have watched the vids of your ride up Black river, very cool.

Mike

With that being a cpo engine it may already be broke in. Be sure and ask Joe about it. It would save you a lot of time if you don't.

sorry to tack on a personal question but... why do you guys opt for the big outboards instead of like the sea ark predator series with the 250 merc jet inboard what would be the advantages of the motor hanging on the transom and what is the issue with those merc inboard rigs

Dan, I think there is still a breakin with the new power head but I will ask Joe for sure. I called today and added a bimini top ( they were working on the boat ) and Kim said Joe was at Alweld factory today.

amk, I have had an outboard jet before even though it was a smaller one I could tear the pump apart on the river and fix it. On another note I feel that I can hang another motor off the back if something happens to this one and I could also take this motor and put it on a different boat if I wanted to.

Now by the same token, and I thought about this long and hard, I only live 20 minutes from where Kevin Turner makes the Riverpro and I REALLY like that boat. Just my thoughts.

Mike

If it's a new powerhead then it definitely needs a break-in. I wasn't sure what all they did to the cpo's at the factory.

amk said:
sorry to tack on a personal question but... why do you guys opt for the big outboards instead of like the sea ark predator series with the 250 merc jet inboard what would be the advantages of the motor hanging on the transom and what is the issue with those merc inboard rigs
It's mostly a personal preference and the way I use it. I prefer a flat bottom square front for our fish gigging season here. I can have 2-3 people on the front deck at a time behind the rail. While idling around chasing fish in the riffles or shallows I can trim up higher than the boat bottom and still propel it forward even when bumping bottom without having to get out and push. I spend very little time on lakes, and when I am on them, it is usually just to get to the river or at night after the pleasure boats have left. With the big boat when I have 4-5 people, the iron pipe gigging rail, generator, and 80 to 100 fish I still need to be able to plane off in 1-2 boat lengths and run 4-5" water effortlessly and that is where the big motor comes in handy.

Those inboards are nice, but wouldn't work for me.

Attachments

• 2013-12-04_15-30-47_203.jpg
    2013-12-04_15-30-47_203.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,254
Pics are on Troutt & Sons facebook page. Let's see if I did this right!!!
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12027590_10153757401213777_7543857051050322930_n.jpg?oh=17400bb07d9788b611d371a3f081a0d4&oe=5665EC77
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12046859_10153757401318777_3891093704525896875_n.jpg?oh=3fc377072d0ea95f6434a4a681fb50b0&oe=569B0E3D
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12047072_10153757401393777_6749194663794563118_n.jpg?oh=84bcb0983b1ed108cc24513d1f703e53&oe=56A74C53

dhoganjr we are going to go to Clearwater this Saturday to break in the Big Girl. Maybe we will see you down there.

Mike

Looks good. You're really going to be smiling when you get to run it.

I'm going to pm you a couple of links, lots of useful info in them.

Sully said:
dhoganjr we are going to go to Clearwater this Saturday to break in the Big Girl. Maybe we will see you down there.

Mike

What time are you heading down there. Don't know if I can make it but I would like to get in another run before I put the gigging rail on. Be careful if you head up the Black, level is 2.76 at Annapolis. Very little water up there.

dhoganjr said:
Sully said:

Mike

What time are you heading down there. Don't know if I can make it but I would like to get in another run before I put the gigging rail on. Be careful if you head up the Black, level is 2.76 at Annapolis. Very little water up there.
Sorry Dan, :shock: didn't see this. We got down there about 10:30 and left about 2:00 it started to rain a little and the wife was feeling like crap. Had fun though ran it a good hour and a half, cobbed it a little toward the end and got 50.3 on the gps. Ran up the Black a little, maybe a half mile and turned around, told the wife not a good idea to run a strange river in the rain. Maybe next year we can get together and make a run up there.

Mike

Hey by the way, where did you get the cover that you run on your engine? Seen it in a pic and like it.

I couldn't make it anyway, got started on vehicle maintenance and spent all day getting caught up.

Good thing you turned around, you can easily run to the bluff on the left side with the gravel bar on the right where everyone parties. After that next right where you head up river there are a couple of miles before you can safely shut down, not a good place to learn a new boat. Probably would have got your first dents and scratches up there. I avoid the upper Black with levels this low, have seen a new boat totaled on the first trip up there.

That cover is made by Tuff Skinz. I ordered the Pro XS decal package. They are vented and you can run with them on there. They are felt lined so they won't scratch, I've had mine on for a year and a half and there are no scratches. I waxed the motor before I put it on there. I have taken it off and cleaned the motor with white vinegar and water mixed about 50/50 to clean off the buildup and then re waxed it. They run about $210, a new cowl is a couple grand. I get into limbs and branches all the time while gigging and even when fishing, so I wanted one I could run on there and keep from scratching it up as bad as the last motor. Here is another pic and the link to their site.
https://www.tuffskinz.net/?product=mercury-optimax-pro-xs-vented-outboard-cover

Attachments

• 2014-06-02_11-49-05_162.jpg
    2014-06-02_11-49-05_162.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,129

Latest posts