Looking at new boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dhoganjr said:
I couldn't make it anyway, got started on vehicle maintenance and spent all day getting caught up.

Good thing you turned around, you can easily run to the bluff on the left side with the gravel bar on the right where everyone parties. After that next right where you head up river there are a couple of miles before you can safely shut down, not a good place to learn a new boat. Probably would have got your first dents and scratches up there. I avoid the upper Black with levels this low, have seen a new boat totaled on the first trip up there.

That cover is made by Tuff Skinz. I ordered the Pro XS decal package. They are vented and you can run with them on there. They are felt lined so they won't scratch, I've had mine on for a year and a half and there are no scratches. I waxed the motor before I put it on there. I have taken it off and cleaned the motor with white vinegar and water mixed about 50/50 to clean off the buildup and then re waxed it. They run about $210, a new cowl is a couple grand. I get into limbs and branches all the time while gigging and even when fishing, so I wanted one I could run on there and keep from scratching it up as bad as the last motor. Here is another pic and the link to their site.
https://www.tuffskinz.net/?product=mercury-optimax-pro-xs-vented-outboard-cover
I like the cover. :D

Hey when you broke your engine in and had it tucked under did you get spray in the back of your boat? I did but dot too bad, it does have the splash plate on the back.

Mike

You will get spray if you leave it tucked under. On a jet it is not necessary to keep it tucked under during break-in. You do with a prop to keep it under load, a jet is always under load unless it is out of the water. Just don't trim past level and you will be ok. Don't know if you have an hour meter or not, but it takes 2 hrs of being above a set rpm range to complete the break-in, i think it is around 4000. I don't remember the exact rpm, but the computer keeps track of everthing and when the parameters have been met it switches to normal operation. Once the break-in is complete it will take about 40 total hrs to reach peak performance. So you should get a a little more out of it by the time it reaches that point.

Another excellent add-on is a smartcraft MercMonitor, they receive digital info directly from the computer and display rpm, water pressure and temp, fuel usage, hours, battery volts, etc. They will also tell what fault if the alarm goes off instead of having to guess. I replaced my old analog tach with it, they fit the same size hole. They are pricey, but I mainly wanted the water pressure and temp so I could keep an eye on it in cold temps and know instantly if something is going on.

dhoganjr said:
You will get spray if you leave it tucked under. On a jet it is not necessary to keep it tucked under during break-in. You do with a prop to keep it under load, a jet is always under load unless it is out of the water. Just don't trim past level and you will be ok. Don't know if you have an hour meter or not, but it takes 2 hrs of being above a set rpm range to complete the break-in, i think it is around 4000. I don't remember the exact rpm, but the computer keeps track of everthing and when the parameters have been met it switches to normal operation. Once the break-in is complete it will take about 40 total hrs to reach peak performance. So you should get a a little more out of it by the time it reaches that point.

Another excellent add-on is a smartcraft MercMonitor, they receive digital info directly from the computer and display rpm, water pressure and temp, fuel usage, hours, battery volts, etc. They will also tell what fault if the alarm goes off instead of having to guess. I replaced my old analog tach with it, they fit the same size hole. They are pricey, but I mainly wanted the water pressure and temp so I could keep an eye on it in cold temps and know instantly if something is going on.
Any idea how pricey? :shock:

They were about $600 when I ordered mine. I ordered it from Don Weed at https://www.europeanmarine.org they are in South Carolina. They set you up with everything you need to install it, instead of having to piece it together and figure out what you need. They will also walk you through any issues that come up if you need assistance. If you are a BBC member they will give a 10% discount and the shipping is free, so if not join before you order. This link will take you to their order info. https://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-liter-3-liter-high-performance/22574-if-you-want-order-price-mercury-engine-parts-accessories.html

I got the Level 1 MercMonitor which is what they recommend for most fishing boats. It has a polarized lens that makes it easier to read in sunlight. They keep track of fuel used and mine has been accurate to about 0.1 gallon. Here is a link to the monitor to show what all it does. https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/mercmonitor/

If you decide to get one they are fairly easy to install, mostly plug and play. The hardest part is routing the data cable from the engine to the guage. If you have any other questions about it or anything else, ask away, I'll help anyway I can.

Ok!! Dan, Here we go!! Taking boat for new cover after work Friday to Pat's Custom Boat Covers in South County, takes about 4 days. Need to get this done cause sorry to say, boat has to sit outside. Then hopefully after picking boat up will have funds for Merc Monitor in a couple weeks, [-o< really like this gauge. It never fails when you have a lot to do they want you to work OT, Fridays are usually my day off. :LOL2:
Tuff Skinz cover will have to wait a little. :cry: Joe told me the same thing about motor being tucked under, kinda made me feel like a DumeAzz. LOL!!!

Mike

Unfortunately we all have to work, I am a Conductor for Union Pacific so my time off at home is usually between 10-30 hrs depending on when I get in.

Don't feel to bad abut the break-in, you were only going by what the manual says which is correct for prop applications. The good thing is you should be almost finished with it.

My boat has been outside from day one, never seen the inside of a garage. I have always used the heavy duty 16x24 truck trailer tarps with pvc supports. They last about 3-4 years. I got lazy for a year and left it off and ended up replacing the carpet in 08, so now as soon as I back it in the driveway the tarp goes on.

When it comes time for the MercMonitor, if you have any questions I can help you out. The easiest way to run the data cable is to depin the connector and tape the wire up and pull it through with a fish tape. Not as bad as it sounds.

My oldest son was laid off from Union Pacific he worked on the trestles and bridges. Cover is on the boat and going to Troutt Friday for the MercMonitor, just as easy to have them do it.

Mike

Sorry to hear that about your son. The whole railroad industry is taking a big hit right now, a lot to do with coal almost disappearing. Most of the power plants are switching to natural gas because of it being cheaper than coal from all of the fracking.

Glad you got the cover done. The MercMonitor will be an excellent addition. They are pretty easy to install, but Troutt's will take care of it. They didn't seem to think it was needed for a river boat when I had mine repowered. After all the research I ordered it and done it myself.

I just finished a project I've been thinking about for a while, basically putting driving lights on the boat and got the gigging rail re-wired and painted and back on the boat. Here is a pic during install, I'm going to put up a new post when I get pics of them at night.20151020_182331.jpgThey are Rigid Industries SR2 6" marine led light bars with their buckets they use for fire trucks and ambulances. Wanted recessed lights to cut down on glare and not get tangled in ropes and fishing line. Tired of trying to hold a spot light and run on plane at night.

Good idea on the led's. My second son has them on 2 of his trucks and on his side by side, they are awesome. He had it down your way having a different cage built. The guy is right behind (Arcadia gun shop) that's what I call it. He makes rock racers, does good work.
Mike

I live about a block behind Arcadia Valley Sporting Goods.

They are bright, I've been trying to figure out a way to mount lights where they were recessed for quite awhile. I was afraid to cut the holes because once done it is hard to cover up if they don't work. The buckets are made of stainless and I riveted them in with 1/4" rivets. Have to run them at night but I think the angle will be perfect fo several hundred yards out.

I think you will like the led's. Took the boat to Troutt Friday and Jeff put the Mercmonitor in, love it, it does all kinds of stuff. Jeff had Preston make a couple of cup holders that we wanted and mount them for me and I got a grab handle so Donna has something to hold onto. I also made a set of straps for the cover and put them on, I like them better than ropes. It was a whole lot cheaper to get them off the web.

Feel a whole lot better after getting the lights installed. Very nerve racking cutting into the front of the boat.

The MercMonitor or Smartcraft guages is almost a necessity with these engines. There is no better way to get info other than directly from the ecm. Glad you like it. I keep mine on the screen with 3 views while running (rpm's, water pressure, and water temp). These are the ones I feel are most important and need to know at all times. I don't have a fuel guage, but the fuel used screen is also handy and very accurate. You can reset it when you fill up and know exactly what is in the tank. Takes a lot of guess work out of what distance you can run before running out of gas. When it reaches tank capacity, expect the engine to shut down anytime, it is that accurate. If you add a digital trim sender it will let you use the eco feature. It lets you know where the most fuel efficient rpms are. I don't have it but am considering adding it next spring.

Glad everything worked out.

I have the digital trim sensor and the screen that Jeff likes is the one that has rpm, water pressure, and trim angle. I can't wait to get on the water and try it out.

No they haven't. I keep looking at the Hummingbird 999, hoping maybe this Spring. Before snagging season.

Latest posts