Looking for another tinny

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste6168

Reaction score
Hi all - I have had a few tin boats throughout the years, last one was about 7ish years ago, a Lowe 1436 that I custom decked out. I LOVED that boat, but I also have a larger, tunnel hull skiff, and I just didn't use it enough. My son has got the fishing bug BAD (he is 10). We live on the coast in NC, and the boat launches around here are absolute nightmares on the weekends. Looking for something smaller that I can tow up to the creeks a bit easier and use some of the small ramps, maybe even launch in spots where theres not a real launch. Fish some rivers maybe, even small lakes/big ponds...

Anyway, what I have in mind....

I am looking at the 1448/1648/1652 size.
More than likely tiller steer for simplicity, although the 1652 side console is a pretty sweet setup.
90% of the time, would be two people, possibly 3 (1 being a kid, my son) on rare occasions... More than that we're on the glass boat.
I would mostly be fishing saltwater and brackish creeks/marshes with very occasional freshwater.
Definitely want an aluminum boat, not a Carolina Skiff or Gheenoe/etc.
Welded preferred, but not a limiting out rivets.
No need for gun/rod boxes.
Prefer a floor, instead of ribs (though, for the right price, I can install a floor).

What boats do you all reccomend in this size range, and is there something else I should be looking at? I will more than likely buy used, and have just started looking.

Since everyone likes pictures... Here are two of the Jons I have had in the past, the 15' Monark was my first boat ever, purchased my senior year of college and caught a TON of catfish on the Allegheny and Ohio rivers on that thing. I had two others, just can't find pictures.

15' Monark
k442sxJ.jpg

1436 Lowe
fizVdQm.jpg

Current ride, 198 Intruder
oYWOSt3.jpg

I highly recommend Alweld Marsh series. I bought the 1648 flat bottom (instead of mod-V) and I absolutely love my boat. If storage isn't a concern, go with the 1652 or bigger, I needed to fit mine in the garage or I would have gone slightly larger.

What I like:
* Solid construction with thick aluminum
* Front and back standing casting decks - very stable
* Roomy interior
* Built in solid floor
* Boat seat / pedestal mounts

The Marsh series comes in several configurations.

I’ve got a tracker grizzly 1648 everything you need but heavy.

Attachments

• 5A4A7C03-C9E5-49BD-9AAF-E4BAF7273458.jpeg
    5A4A7C03-C9E5-49BD-9AAF-E4BAF7273458.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 213
ste6168; All,

IF you are NEAR South Texas (OR willing to come here) I'll FIND what you want.
(I constantly LOOK FOR antique boats, antique Mercedes cars & other things. - I generally "keep a file" in my head of GOOD DEALS.)

As a retiree & frequent "pasture prowler" , it will cost neither of us even 10 cents for me to add your "wants" to my list of things that I'm "looking about" for.

PM me IF you wish OR email me at: [email protected].

yours, tex :)