Lowe 1040 or 1240, Front Casting Deck Possible?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EStrong

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Not a stranger to the Tinboats site, but now a new forum member.

I need some help. I may have lucked into a 2021 Lowe 1040 or 1240, these are really the only options I have at the moment so it's one or the other or nada. I know the 40's are stable, but how stable? I'm old school when it comes to my Bass fishing. Too old and too stubborn to get a kayak, I like to stand 90% of the time. I have put flat floors in rental Jons before and stood on the middle bench while fishing most of the day. Ideally, I prefer some type of front casting deck especially when PFS (pitch, flip, skip). For me, it's easier even being up just a foot or two higher. Has anyone put a lightweight or removable deck on the front of a Lowe 1040 or 1240? I would run mine from the bow/front bench to the back edge of the middle bench. I know the higher up you get the more tippy tippy you'll become. Most of the time I'll be fishing solo. If I bring the Sig Other or one of my buddies, I'll remove the deck and we'll put butt to bench seats, lol. I have a pickup with an 8ft bed and foldout/extendable ramp so loading and unloading a 10 or 12 footer would be easy with transom mount launch wheels. I'm 99% sure I'll get either boat, just don't want to get my hopes up and not be able mod it the way I'm picturing it in my mind. Any Thoughts, Opinions and/or Advice would be well appreciated. And, as others have done on this forum, once I get the boat and start making mods, I'll post pics and progress and what is working and what isn't.

Be Well and Fish Well, E...

When I started out bow fishing all I had was a 1436 flat bottom. I put a deck in the front of it and it was tippy. I didn't worry too much about it since the water I was in was only about 4 feet deep. It's like you say, the higher you get the weight up in the air the more it wants to list. It will work if you're part ninja but looking back, if I was to do it in deeper water I'd stay close to the bank and wear a life preserver.

I think the bigger issue will be weight capacity with the 1040. For sure I would go with the 1240 but even then I would probably go the route of a light weight removable level floor between the seats. That’s just me.

Well... I done did it, lol.

Should have the 1240 in the next week or so. Also splurged and got a Mercury 6HP 4 Stroke. The next month should be interesting! Worst case I'll just do flat floors instead of a raised deck. Considering how the market is, if things go sideways, I can turn around and sell it, probably quickly. I decided to add the outboard so I can fish some of the larger water (State Parks) that are around me in Cincy. Otherwise 55lb Troller it will be.

These are the transom launch wheels I'll be adding. Lots of small and skinny water I'll be able to access with these.
https://www.seamaxmarine.com/collections/launching-wheels/products/seamax-deluxe-boat-launching-dolly-with-14-inches-wheels-4-positions-and-4-stages-removable-and-adjustable-legs-1

I'll post pics as things progress, might have to add a Power Pole Micro too! LOL... :-o :-D

So as I wait for my 1240 to show up, I'm starting to get the things I need to prep/mod it once it gets here. The places/ramps I go to with this are not in the best condition. Often it's a makeshift kayak/canoe launch that's made of gravel and even larger rocks. That, and a lot of the skinny moving water I can get this to have many shallow riffles filled with the typical stream/river rocks. So I'm looking for something to put on the bottom of the boat to protect it from basic wear and tear. I've been looking around and it seems there are many answers but no solutions. There's the Gator Glide type coatings, Keel and Skeg guard tape, and some even said just use a HD Quality bed liner product. My main concern is protection from hits and abrasion (I'll probably see a lot of that), bonus would be able to slide easy in really shallow water, weeds, mud, etc. Pic attached shows EXACTLY how I would like to do mine. Thanks!

04ebbd9225a99cef0119d9ca07993e98.jpg

Well, I take delivery on the boat this Monday the 12th. Besides the casting deck (maybe) and a bottom protective coating, just have to add transom wheels and some zig zag cleats for now, then I'm hoping for a maiden voyage later that Monday or Tuesday for sure to test it out.

Did a lot of research and phone calls. Seems going with Gator Base first, then Gator Glide G2 after/over will give me pretty decent protection. I'll have to wait on a good stretch of sunny weather to get this done. Plus, I don't think I'll be able to wait 72 hours for a "perfect" product cure right off the bat. The bass are calling me. In fact, just got a text from a 5 pounder wondering where I've been... lol :LOL2:

I'll get some pics and update as things progress.

Latest posts