Lowe 1236 modifications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does that motor work with that boat. I am trying to figure out what motor to go with for my 1257 polar kraft project. I would like to go with a two stroke.

zr7cat said:
How does that motor work with that boat. I am trying to figure out what motor to go with for my 1257 polar kraft project. I would like to go with a two stroke.

With just me and all my stuff it's great, with two in the boat, not as good. The plate for my boat says the max hp is 10, so I'm basically at max. I have raised the motor up 2" from its original position per advice from crazymanme2 to get the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the boat. It made a big difference but I have still to do some fine-tuning. I assume as your boat is wider that it could take a bigger motor. If there is no plate on the boat listing the recommended hp, go to the USCG web site. There is a document published by the Coast Guard for boat builders that includes a formula based of a couple of factors and you should be able to figure out the appropriate hp. If you can't find it let me know, I may have squirreled it away somewhere - it's in a PDF format. There are a lot of guys on this site that know a lot about motors (I'm not one of them). Maybe you should post your question on either the boats or motors forum. Good luck.

i know im inexperinsed at boat but wouldnt it be better if the fuel tank is in back closer to the motor that way less hose and if you get a hole in the hose be easyer to replace and all way in front and under the decks and all what if you get a leak and dont find it for a while and it soaks in your foam and all

bailey86 said:
i know im inexperinsed at boat but wouldnt it be better if the fuel tank is in back closer to the motor that way less hose and if you get a hole in the hose be easyer to replace and all way in front and under the decks and all what if you get a leak and dont find it for a while and it soaks in your foam and all

I don't want the gas in the back near me because is stinks and I was trying to balance the weight of all the various things in the boat. I got heavy weight gas line that I expect will last for many years. It isn't under the floor but run through the spray rail cavity along the side of the boat so a leak would show up right away and would be pretty easy to pull another hose through if it ever became necessary.

I also dont know how i missed this mod. Nice job. Couple things for you to check out. If your trolling motor is too far away from you, you can get an extension handle for it. As far as the main power switch, you can get a battery on/off switch from autoparts store. Here is a link to show you what I'm talking about.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=battery%20switch&dds=1

John, the new owner of my 1236 came to pick it up this morning. He fishes small-mouth bass on the Mississippi and St Croix rivers. It's a sweet outfit and he's going to get good use out of it.

newowner.jpg

As for me, now it's time to start work on this - a floor, some lights, seats etc...

P1011603.jpg

Very nice Job! =D> and as 12fters go sold to move up, I am still fixing my 1237, but not Hitech like you, I have 2 questions, how did you cut out that front flush on a riveted boat? I might do the same. Also is that a harbor freight trailer? did it do the job? on a side note, unless you paid me I would never sit on the 15" extension on top of the seat [-X .....thats rad!! ( like wacky videos...) :lol:

I got the trailer at Northern Hydraulics. It is a kit trailer and I think I paid about $350 for it.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...netconcepts&cm_pla=Google&cm_ite=kit+trailers

I replaced the 1 7/8" hitch with a 2" one, added a spare and winch and raised up the tail lights. The trailer works just fine for a light-weight unit. I raised the lights up in part because the trailer is so low that without the boat on it I couldn't see the trailer when I backed up (I hit the dock once and had to replace one of the lights). Also note that the winch is bolted to the tongue - not the best place as the handle dips into the water when you use it. The tongue was too short to do it right and the winch post wasn't quite configured the right way. All in all, it's good for a light boat and especially in low water because the boat comes off/on so easily. The only complaint I have is because the trailer is so light it can bounce a lot - sometimes it sounds like the end of the world is going on behind you. I was going to find some kind of rubber bushing to cushion the leaf spring but just never got to it before it sold.

I'm not sure I got the other question...

I recently was given a 2006 Lowe 1236 and I stumbled upon this website. WOW! ! ! This site is awesome. I am getting a lot of different ideas and trying to get something started. I have a quick question. When you removed the front seat, how did you seal the rivet holes in the side of the boat itself? I really like the layout that you did, but I am afraid of doing something wrong, so I figured I'd ask before I get started.

FIREDUTYONLY said:
I recently was given a 2006 Lowe 1236 and I stumbled upon this website. WOW! ! ! This site is awesome. I am getting a lot of different ideas and trying to get something started. I have a quick question. When you removed the front seat, how did you seal the rivet holes in the side of the boat itself? I really like the layout that you did, but I am afraid of doing something wrong, so I figured I'd ask before I get started.

I used an angle grinder from inside. There was still enough of the "mushroom" left inside after the seat came out that the rivets were sound so I did nothing! I guess you could give them each a couple of wacks to rebuck them if you were worried about it. As it was above the waterline I didn't sweat it. Post some pics as you go along so we can see what you're up to...

Hey,

Love the mod Bro, one question where did you purchase the Sintra PVC sheet material? Is it expensive and is it lighter than plywood?

Thanks,
RodeoHard

RodeoHard said:
Hey,

Love the mod Bro, one question where did you purchase the Sintra PVC sheet material? Is it expensive and is it lighter than plywood?

Thanks,
RodeoHard

I got the Sintra through a local Plexiglass dealer and yes, it's kind of expensive. I paid about $120 for a sheet of 1/2" x 48" x 96". It's really light weight, easy to machine and will last forever. I used it primarily because of its light weight. BTW, Cabela's sells a similar product but it's really expensive through them. Try a local sign shop or plastics dealer.

bobberboy said:

thats an awesome 1236 you had. Id love to do something similar but my 12 footer is a 32, not 36. love your new toy as well, especially the new seat base!

Im thinking of installing seat bases the same way you did on your 1236, directly to the boats benches. were the perfectly stable? after installing them, did you ever feel the need to reinforce the benches?

also, with the seats staggered, did it make for a leaning boat if you went out alone?